A10-4600M decent in WoW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I would like to get a laptop that I can use for soloing in World of Warcraft, hopefully for under $800. I'm looking at various versions of the new Trinity processor from AMD, but I can't find a single review that tests WoW with this chip. Sure, there is one review at THG that tests the desktop version with WoW, but not the laptop version.

Does anyone know if it performs decently with WoW? How about the A8-4500M?

dgingeri

Distinguished
These numbers look pretty nice to me, but they don't tell much about test conditions, and nothing about resolution. However, all the numbers look nicer than Intel's crappy graphics.

What I needed to know was could it work for soloing, and those numbers tell me "probably." I'm likely to go get one tomorrow.

sa9PA.png

GVnCZ.png

dgingeri

Distinguished
Actually, I ended up picking up a refurb A8-3520 based HP dv6 laptop for $400. It's working quite well, after replacing the 5400rpm hard drive with a 120GB SSD I had laying around doing nothing.

I couldn't find a decent laptop with discrete graphics for <$650. (I don't trust Acer anymore, and I never trusted Toshiba after doing warranty repair for them.) I just couldn't justify spending that much. I only had $700 saved up for this project, and I didn't want to dive into other savings to get this. It just wouldn't get used enough.

On the up side, after overclocking the CPU from it's native 1.6GHz to 2.2GHz, it runs WoW great on "high" settings at 25-40fps. I tried overclocking the GPU from 444 to 600, but I got no improvement at all. I'm going to try 2.5GHz tonight.

dgingeri

Distinguished
2.5GHz wouldn't work, no matter what I tried. The best overclock I could get is what I got on Monday evening: 2.2GHz@1.2V. It sits at a nice 75C under full load at that clock rate, though. It's still good for a decent frame rate under WoW. Well worth the $400 I spent on it.

shad0wboss

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
A8 4500m and A10 4600m are pretty good chips despite the fact that when they come with dedicated graphics such as hd 7690m and better ati cards in crossfire with previous 7660g and 7640g, they can perform much better than i5 with gt 630m since gt 630m = hd 7670m and when trinity chips run in crossfire, they can provide much better FPS. I would suggest you look for trinity chips with dedicated graphics...

negatech

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Really? Someone just told me otherwise in my topic regarding an A10-4600M with a 7660G+7670M. I assumed it was a bit better than a 630M (from reading over at Notebookcheck).

dgingeri

Distinguished

Extremely easy, far easier than I expected. A program called K10stat is able to actually program all the P states, both my frequency and cpu voltage. I was able to alter mine to run at 800MHz and .75V at idle, and still go up to 2.2GHz@1.2V at full throttle. It's pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.