Undeletable File

Hi,
I stopped a download in the middle of downloading in Mozilla Firefox. It is
stuck on my desktop and I am unable to delete it, which is very annoying. If
I copy the file, I am unable to delete either! I have tried closing all of my
programs and even uninstalled Firefox but without any luck. Can I forcefully
remove the file somehow?

Any help would be appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about undeletable file

    Delete it in Safe Mode
    "How to Boot in Safe Mode"
    http://www.columbia.edu/acis/capture/safemode.html
    --
    I'm no expert, but I did stay at
    the Holiday Inn Express last night.

    "Shadyaidy" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I stopped a download in the middle of downloading in Mozilla Firefox. It is
    > stuck on my desktop and I am unable to delete it, which is very annoying. If
    > I copy the file, I am unable to delete either! I have tried closing all of my
    > programs and even uninstalled Firefox but without any luck. Can I forcefully
    > remove the file somehow?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    It soulds like ur having a problem with an incomplete file error.
    1 way is to try and complete the download by overwriting it on the desktop.
    the other if you really don't want it is reformat your harddrive and start
    from scratch however this is a bit of a drastic measure just to delete a file.

    Can't Delete a File or Folder in XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del�

    For more information see these links if required:-
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081
    You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298345
    "Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319368
    You Receive an "Access Denied" Error Message When You Delete Folders from a Mounted
    Drive

    In article <ecwu6yhTFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com says...
    > Can't Delete a File or Folder in XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del⤝
    >

    > For more information see these links if required:-
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081
    > You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298345
    > "Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319368
    > You Receive an "Access Denied" Error Message When You Delete Folders from a Mounted
    > Drive
    >
    > Shadyaidy wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I stopped a download in the middle of downloading in Mozilla Firefox.
    > > It is stuck on my desktop and I am unable to delete it, which is very
    > > annoying. If I copy the file, I am unable to delete either! I have
    > > tried closing all of my programs and even uninstalled Firefox but
    > > without any luck. Can I forcefully remove the file somehow?
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.

    You might be able to use a program that moves/removes files on boot. I
    have used this program several times.

    http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/

    I used the old version freeware listed near the bottom of the page.
    --
    Ken

Firefox Windows XP