How do you view files in C downloaded program files

Hi,

I deleted the contents of c\windows Downloaded Program Files folder. It is
empty. But
when i right click properties, it tells me there are 3 files.

I have shown
all files, & unchecked the OS files. So i should see everything. Where are
these other 3 files. I checked another xp machine & found the same. There
must be some way to view inside?

Any ideas,

TIA
William
5 answers Last reply
More about view files downloaded program files

    William,
    Did you also uncheck the box to unhide system files.

    My Computer (or folder that is opened)> TOOLS> Folder Options> Uncheck box
    for Hide all Files & Hide System files. When you are done, you should
    recheck those boxes, to hide the files again.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    William wrote:
    >I deleted the contents of c\windows Downloaded Program Files folder. It is
    >empty. But
    >when i right click properties, it tells me there are 3 files.

    > ... There
    >must be some way to view inside?

    Directory Snoop will show the files in that directory. Not a free
    program, but there is a 25-run free trial download.

    http://www.briggsoft.com/dsnoop.htm

    More often than not, stuff hiding that hard ends up being
    spyware/adware files, and the like, trying to escape the programs that
    root them out.

    With the paid program you can wipe the files and then purge them,
    probably the trial version will do that too.

    Hi..yes I did that also.

    "RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message
    > William,
    > Did you also uncheck the box to unhide system files.
    >
    > My Computer (or folder that is opened)> TOOLS> Folder Options> Uncheck box
    > for Hide all Files & Hide System files. When you are done, you should
    > recheck those boxes, to hide the files again.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Rich/rerat
    >
    > (RRR News) <message rule>
    > <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
    >

    > "William" <William@nospam/no/.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I deleted the contents of c\windows Downloaded Program Files folder. It is
    > empty. But
    > when i right click properties, it tells me there are 3 files.
    >
    > I have shown
    > all files, & unchecked the OS files. So i should see everything. Where are
    > these other 3 files. I checked another xp machine & found the same. There
    > must be some way to view inside?
    >
    > Any ideas,
    >
    > TIA
    > William

    "William" <William@nospam/no/.net> wrote in message news:3IKdnQFiOoCpHorfRVn-2w@adelphia.com...

    > I deleted the contents of c\windows Downloaded Program Files folder. It is
    > empty. But when i right click properties, it tells me there are 3 files.
    >
    > I have shown all files, & unchecked the OS files. So i should see everything.
    > Where are these other 3 files. I checked another xp machine & found the
    > same. There must be some way to view inside?

    There is a C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files (DPF) directory on your
    hard drive. In that directory there is a "hidden" desktop.ini file which Windows
    Explorer (WE) looks at when you try to browse that folder. The desktop.ini
    file instructs WE to use specialized routines for displaying/manipulating the
    items associated with that folder. WE doesn't display a list of files that are
    in that directory, it displays a list of installed program-like objects (ActiveX
    controls, possibly Java Applets, possibly other things not sure).

    Lets use ActiveX controls as an example. When an ActiveX control is
    installed, files are stored in one or more locations on your hard drive (in your
    downloaded program files directory *and/or* elsewhere) and the control is
    "registered" (which involves creating/updating various registry keys). In order
    to remove it, it must be deregistered and the various files (wherever they are)
    deleted. The specialized view of the DPF folder is designed to shield users
    from all those ugly details and assure that things are removed properly. You
    see a simple list of installed objects, and when you "delete" or "remove" an
    item in the list, the files and registry keys associated with that item are
    removed.

    In WE, if you select the DPF folder to view what it "contains", look at the
    status bar. It will say "5 objects" or whatever... "objects". If you right
    click on the DPF folder and select properties, that Properties Dialog will
    display "8 Files, 0 Folders" or whatever.... "files" and "folders". Even if
    you properly uninstall all objects (ActiveX controls, etc) using the WE
    interface, there should still be at least one file in the DPF directory (that
    desktop.ini file) and there may be other files/folders. To see what the
    DPF directory contains, I go command line...

    - Start->Run, type "cmd", hit OK. Black window opens. In it...
    - Type "cd c:\windows\downloaded program files", hit enter.
    - Type "dir /a" to get a list of all files/folders

    Don't delete or change anything in the DPF directory unless you fully
    understand what you are doing or are following directions from a
    trustworthy source. Delete the wrong thing and you could break
    functionality you need and/or break the mechanism by which objects
    are easily uninstalled.

    assuming you are talking windows xp...
    start-run-type "command" and press enter. navigate to the relevant folder
    using 'cd' commands. once in the relevant folder type "attrib" and press
    enter for a list of all file (hidden files, system files, etc).

    > Hi..yes I did that also.
    >

    > "RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message
    >> William,
    >> Did you also uncheck the box to unhide system files.
    >>
    >> My Computer (or folder that is opened)> TOOLS> Folder Options> Uncheck
    >> box
    >> for Hide all Files & Hide System files. When you are done, you should
    >> recheck those boxes, to hide the files again.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Rich/rerat
    >>
    >> (RRR News) <message rule>
    >> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
    >>

    >> "William" <William@nospam/no/.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I deleted the contents of c\windows Downloaded Program Files folder. It
    >> is
    >> empty. But
    >> when i right click properties, it tells me there are 3 files.
    >>
    >> I have shown
    >> all files, & unchecked the OS files. So i should see everything. Where
    >> are
    >> these other 3 files. I checked another xp machine & found the same. There
    >> must be some way to view inside?
    >>
    >> Any ideas,
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> William