Asus Has Secret Console "Better Than Wii"

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

wow awesome cant wait to see what it is asus never fails in product quality or design

crisisavatar

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Ok where are the pics and I don't think I want to buy it. Btw asus, THIS IS WAY TOO LATE, keep working on this idea and release perhaps on the next cycle.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Asus should make a console with Cell, Emotion Engine, Broadway, PowerPC Xenon, and whatever CPU the Xbox uses. That way we could play any game from the PS3, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, and Xbox. Plus, throw in an i7 and play PC games too!!!

Airrax

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
This could go either way if Asus succeeds. Having a second 'casual gamer' console would split the market between casual console and hardcore console. Now Microsoft and Sony wouldn't have to focus on dumbing down their hardware or software for a separate mass of people. Besides the fact that both Microsoft and Sony try to cater, in a sense, to home media as well as gaming (with Netflix and Blu-Ray), they wouldn't have to worry about creating the next boogy or 'flap your arms around like a genius game (although the latter can be fun when drunk).

The problem, though, is that the rift between hardcore gamer and casual gamer would be blurred in the next few generations when the hardware cost and visual rendering overlap. For the immediate, it would be a benefit to both the hardcore and casual gamer. For the long run it could cause enough direct competition that Asus, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony would be more worried about market share than the game/hardware itself (thankfully Sony hasn't fallen into this step yet!). I'm all for 'reinventing' gaming, but Nintendo just takes away from those of us that want a more advanced environment.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]No. ASUS is making a PC (i7/PhenomII based) that can play console games (via emulation) Now THAT would be cool![/citation]
And would infringe limitless patents and result in as many or more lawsuits.

G

Desperation on the cusp of madness? Alot of crazy talk, if they don't provide pictures, it didn't happen. Makes you wonder if they're trying to drive up the stock price before they go belly up.

Airrax

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
[citation][nom]acecombat[/nom]And would infringe limitless patents and result in as many or more lawsuits.[/citation]

Speaking of which. I've seen videos on Youtube (yeah, I know) about people playing 360 games on their PS3's. Now this is Youtube, so I do take it with a grain of salt, but this could be a reason why Sony removed the Emotion chip from the PS3. I can't guarantee this because I know nobody that has an Emotion chip version of the PS3, but it would make more sense than just saying 'It costs too much.'

Now, call me whatever, but I wouldn't mind if someone tried this out to see if it was real. Apparently all you do is select the 360 game to run as a DVD/movie instead of a game.

battery

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
but how will it compare to the 360's full body capture (project natal)

[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]No. ASUS is making a PC (i7/PhenomII based) that can play console games (via emulation) Now THAT would be cool![/citation]

anyone with a decent computer can emulate a wii, emulating a 360 or PS3 would take a boatload of xeons and alot of time spend developing the software, especially for the cell processor.

Personally I think its good that a new company is stepping into the console market. I hope its more than just a system that "can rival the Wii" seeing as how the wii came out almost 3 years ago.

My only suggestion: Make sure Valve likes the architecture.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
His use of the chicken and egg analogy was hilarious. ASUS has no hope in the console market. Are they actually doing any market research before they create these products?

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I'd diffently don't believe that airrax..

And no it wouldn't take a but load of xeons.. It would just take a lot of time developing the emulator. Which most don't do, as they don't have enough time to simply put into it, since their usually side projects. Even ps2 emulators aren't fully down.

To fuser how do you figure they have no hope? If they can get the games, make a console reasonably priced they have plenty of hope. They might not make mad profits, but they will still make enough to be worth it.

G

Asus better first learn how to run a decent website with decent support. It is pathetic at this point.

graviongr

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
[citation][nom]fuser[/nom]His use of the chicken and egg analogy was hilarious. ASUS has no hope in the console market. Are they actually doing any market research before they create these products?[/citation]

It seemed ludicrous that Sony would try to enter the console market, dominated by Nintendo and Sega. However they succeeded with the right strategy.

It seemed equally as nutty when Microsoft announced their entry, the Xbox. However they gained a loyal following in their first iteration, and took it mainstream with the 360.

Obviously it seems like insurmountable odds for Asus... but with the right hardware, the right software, and the drive of innovation or even the drive of success, they can make a big splash. All it would take is 3 or 4 "killer apps" to sell the hardware. The rest can come in time when software developers see a potential income avenue.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
The only way Asus can make it in this segment is if it becomes an OEM player to one of the big three. You wont get developers on board to develop for 3 systems. (Since usually it's either nintendo/xbox or xbox/ps3)

As an OEM player, they'd make a ton of money, and cut costs for whoever they build for, both of which are great for the consumer.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Airrax[/nom]Speaking of which. I've seen videos on Youtube (yeah, I know) about people playing 360 games on their PS3's. Now this is Youtube, so I do take it with a grain of salt, but this could be a reason why Sony removed the Emotion chip from the PS3. I can't guarantee this because I know nobody that has an Emotion chip version of the PS3, but it would make more sense than just saying 'It costs too much.'Now, call me whatever, but I wouldn't mind if someone tried this out to see if it was real. Apparently all you do is select the 360 game to run as a DVD/movie instead of a game.[/citation]
If that was true, it wouldnt be such a bitch to develop for the PS3. For what you're suggesting to work, the PS3 would need the ability to natively run the DirectX code that the Microsoft games are developed in. It doesnt, so it wont.

Airrax

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Again, just to clarify, the Emotion chip is the emulation chip that Sony used to have in the first version of the PS3. The chip allowed full backwards compatibility for PS2 games. Sony removed the chip from the PS3 in order to cut costs, but the chip couldn't of cost that much to have in the system. Now, all I'm saying is that the emulation chip may have emulated Xbox games as well as PS2 game. If that's true, it would be a more realistic reason why Sony removed the chip, because Microsoft would flip out.

The main purpose to this is for me to find a reason why they removed the chip other than cost. Having full backwards compatibility is a great ability, and something that I was very sad to hear Sony was removing from the PS3. If it's cost, put it back in! If it's because of possible legal action from Microsoft for having a way to emulate Xbox games, then I'd have to laugh at the situation and I could live with it.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
A game console? Really? I can't quite wrap my head around that, but then again, usually these announcements completely floor me.

deltatux

Status
Not open for further replies.