Thinkpad R61 startup issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

vibhorsanghi

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Hi,

I have a r61, type 7743, ag6.

It had been working fine until now but suddenly this morning it wont startup at all. On pressing the power button all lights flash normally for 2-3 seconds, but, just before the display should turn on, it turns off completely. Even on pressing power key again, it wont respond in any way unless i remove the battery and replug the power supply.
Another odd issue, normally I could charge my mobile through USB if the power cable was connected to laptop even if the laptop is turned off. But ever since this issue cropped up I am unable to do so.
I have already checked the fan which is rotatng, reseated the RAM but neither have worked. This had happened earlier also but then it was intermittent and would correct automatically. Also when it did boot it was fine until i shut down the laptop and then started again. Then I had given it to service centre for normal diagnostic and he fixed it without replacing anything. But this time, it is just not booting up.

Kindly suggest some solution, I really want to avoid a Mobo replacement.

Thanks

MartinV

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
I am having the same problem (computer shuts down - can't restart - the power light is out) on a 6-month old Lenovo Thinkpad Edge. I tried what you suggested regarding holding the button down for 20 seconds and was amazed to find that the power was restored and I was able to boot up the computer.

The problem is, about one minute later it shut down again. I've repeated this whole sequence several times.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to actually fix this issue once and for all?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.