Help - no icons, no task bar, just wallpaper

Hello. When I switch on my home PC it goes straight to the Windows wallpaper
but with no icons or task bar and I can't reboot it (have to unplug it). It
displays an error message along the lines of having problems initialising
McAfee Active Shield. I read on the web that I should try doing system
restore at the command prompt.....is this the best way to go or can somebody
suggest any other approaches? Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about help icons task wallpaper

    Ctrl+Alt+Del, go to "Aplications" tab andv click on "New task" and write without the quotes "explorer.exe". Does it appear?

    "kalexs" <kalexs@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:127FBC03-3F70-4557-B92D-517E49D55B27@microsoft.com...
    > Hello. When I switch on my home PC it goes straight to the Windows wallpaper
    > but with no icons or task bar and I can't reboot it (have to unplug it). It
    > displays an error message along the lines of having problems initialising
    > McAfee Active Shield. I read on the web that I should try doing system
    > restore at the command prompt.....is this the best way to go or can somebody
    > suggest any other approaches? Thanks.

    José, thanks for your response. I'm not at home just now as I can't get
    online. If explorer appears, what should I do?

    "José Gallardo" wrote:

    > Ctrl+Alt+Del, go to "Aplications" tab andv click on "New task" and write without the quotes "explorer.exe". Does it appear?
    >
    > "kalexs" <kalexs@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:127FBC03-3F70-4557-B92D-517E49D55B27@microsoft.com...
    > > Hello. When I switch on my home PC it goes straight to the Windows wallpaper
    > > but with no icons or task bar and I can't reboot it (have to unplug it). It
    > > displays an error message along the lines of having problems initialising
    > > McAfee Active Shield. I read on the web that I should try doing system
    > > restore at the command prompt.....is this the best way to go or can somebody
    > > suggest any other approaches? Thanks.

    If I apperas, I would uninstall MacAfee to see whether it is the culprit.

    "kalexs" <kalexs@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:0C24EB52-4709-4567-9D41-45F94942A28D@microsoft.com...
    > José, thanks for your response. I'm not at home just now as I can't get
    > online. If explorer appears, what should I do?
    >

    > "José Gallardo" wrote:
    >
    >> Ctrl+Alt+Del, go to "Aplications" tab andv click on "New task" and write without the quotes "explorer.exe". Does it appear?
    >>
    >> "kalexs" <kalexs@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:127FBC03-3F70-4557-B92D-517E49D55B27@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hello. When I switch on my home PC it goes straight to the Windows wallpaper
    >> > but with no icons or task bar and I can't reboot it (have to unplug it). It
    >> > displays an error message along the lines of having problems initialising
    >> > McAfee Active Shield. I read on the web that I should try doing system
    >> > restore at the command prompt.....is this the best way to go or can somebody
    >> > suggest any other approaches? Thanks.

Wallpaper Icons Windows XP