Syko_Maggot

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
Well I'm sure everyone who is a forum regular knows excactly what to say, and have repeated this once before to someone yesterday...Or the day before...Whatever. But here is my issue, and thanks to everyone who responds :D

Basically, I own a typical budget gaming machine.

Windows XP
AMD BARTON 2500+ @1.9ghz
120GB WD HDD
DUAL 256MB CORSAIR XMS PC3200
PNY GeForce4ti420064mb

The other stuff really isn't important...But basically, I play lots of games. Everything from UT2004, to COD, to Painkiller, to Neverwinter Nights. I'm waiting for DIII and HLII. I've had bad experience with overclocking, so I never try and squeeze out the juice in my hardware. Basically, I'm looking for a new card that can give me smooth ass frame rates. I set most of my detail to normal @ 1024x768 in UT2004 because I hate even the tiniest bit of lag. Most people are like "I can't tell..?" Well, I can tell the difference between okay/choppy frame rates at 30 and a smooth 60-90. I love detail, and I need a new card that can let me push the graphics.

First off, I'm thinking, my birthday is in like 2 more weeks, I can ask the parents for a new card. Nothing past $200...$220 max... Or, I can wait till Decemeber when the prices drop on the new line of ATI/NV cards. It's either now, or then. I'm not 16 yet, I don't have a job. I've been saving up for a bass. So I got two expensive things I'm trying to get.

Anyways, I blabber alot... Simple, ATI, or NVIDIA? I'm basically looking at the R9800PRO or the NVFX5900XT(128mb/2556bit). The FX generally has higher clock speeds but the ATI from what I've read and heard outperforms it. I'm not the most up-to-date computer literate person, I do know alot... But from what I understand nvidia happens to do best with opengl and dx9? but ATI performs better on older applications? What difference will this make? What would be a better choice for an average gamer like me. I'm probably going to take up mapping again, and I highly doubt either will give me edge on using the Unreal ED, Maya, gmax or what not. I just want [-peep-] to look good and I want a good price!

GIGABYTE nVIDIA GeForce FX5900XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "GV-N59X128D" -RETAIL $189.99

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -BULK $209.99

Two choices that I've been looking at. So once again, it's either buy one of those now, or simply wait... Quite awhile for the new line of cards to price drop. Thanks for reading and replying!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Your cpu will bottleneck any new card so I would go with the 9800 Pro. It'll blow away your current card.

At that price you'll be able to get it now and enjoy it now. By the time the new cards drop in price and you upgrade your CPU you'll be able to enjoy that card for a long time.

In your shoes this would yield a much better gaming experience for a while.

<font color=blue>________________________</font color=blue>
<font color=red>You are all going to go to Hell!

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Agree with dhlulcke. Only current TOP CPUs can take advantage of X800/6800 GPUs. 9800Pro is IMO the best option, and maybe you will be able to find it for something less in a couple of weeks due to more availability of latest cards.

I also recomend you look for deals for your 9800Pro. Newegg use to have small discounts once a week. Not a lot, but every penny helps!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Just slightly above the budget you mentioned but perhaps it will drop down a few dollars when the new cards come out as mentioned above:

<A HREF="http://www.hisdigital.com/html/index.html" target="_new">HIS Intro page</A> It is listed on new egg as "hightech" <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-161-109&depa=1" target="_new">HIS excalibur ice q platinum 9800 pro</A>

<A HREF="http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=320913" target="_new">zipzoomfly non-iced q version here</A>
In the Tom's article which gave it the editor's choice <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/firstlook/20031210/radeon_9800-01.html" target="_new">here</A>
the ice q platinum model performed a bit better than the reference bba (built by ati) model that is comparable in price.

They now make the fan controller bracket (hot air exhaust and fan high low control) separate to alleviate the problem of getting the switch to clear when installing in some case/mobo combinations. This now-solved problem was noted on the digit-life review <A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/his-1.html" target="_new">here</A> . The ramsinks are also now different, better looking, and better. They are larger heatsinks which bridge two ram chips rather than single individual ones.
I saw the editor's choice award article some months back and researched them more. I also saw the excellent faq guide <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=363095#363095" target="_new">here</A>
<A HREF="http://www.hisdigital.com/html/profile.htm" target="_new">HIS</A> .

pauldh

Illustrious
I'd definately say 9800 Pro. Just be careful not to buy one of the crippled ones with the 128-bit memory interface. Those may look tempting at around $170, but they won't perform like a real 256-bit 9800 pro.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

cleeve

Illustrious
9800 PRO for sure.

engo

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
So, I was planing to replace my Ti4200 for a 6800 nu for my 2500+ (OC to +3200), may i upgrade my CPU to obtain all benefits on 6800?? can you explain why? what about the bottleneck?
tks!

Syko_Maggot

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
Thanks guys I was leaning towards the 9800PRO and I had a feeling most would say that also. This is my last real upgrade for my computer before I go ahead and change my mobo/CPU next year or so. I'm keeping my eye out on AMD to see what solid CPU they will put out next ,and what sockets will be most upgradable. So for my current PC I think I'll definatly go with the 9800PRO.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
There in article <A HREF="http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/x800_pro_athlon_xp/default.asp" target="_new">here</A> with AMD CPUs (but I think is the same for Intel CPUs). The put togheter 2100+ 2500+ 2800+ 3200+ and finally A64 3400+

As you will see, SOME games start to get limited by CPU and not GPU, or some only benefit if you play at 1600x1200 with AA Aniso and max details. Depends on what you used to play (for exemple, my monitor offers a respectable refresh rate until 1280x1024 at maximum)

About your specific questions: I wouldn't upgrade the CPU, you are near the max socket A can go. Only mobile Barton can almost garantee a CPU that will go to 2.4Ghz, but you need to spend the cash. Otherwise implies change to new mobo+CPU, quite a expensive upgrade and really not worth bearing in mind that socket 939 and Nforce3 250 mobos are near.

My humble suggestion would be to go for 9800Pro. You will notice a GREAT jump, and this card is able to play very well all of the games (not with max at all, but I have been always a price/performance ratio believer :wink: )

Hope this helps!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

Syko_Maggot

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
Thanks! And thats basically what I was thinking. Going from a 2500+ to a 3200+ for example would be a rediculous upgrade right now. I would definatly wait for new mobos(socket change) and new budget AMD CPUS. Ill save up a couple hundred for next year. Hopefully I'll have a job by then! For now, 9800PRO ALL THE WAY! and that should last me quite a long while!