Picking up television station sound through my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsf6850

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I have seen threads where people have 'radio stations' coming through their speakers. I don't know if they tried to remove the speakers and if the sound still comes through their laptop. Mine does and it's not radio. While watching either netflix on my laptop or taking an online class with video I have heard TV programs (Seinfeld and TMZ) movies (something about aliens) and commercials (mini wheats). This has been going on for a couple months.

I took my laptop to be repaired and even though they cleaned it up, defraged, new antivirus, etc...yesterday I ended up with THREE people talking at the same time!

Definitely in my computer, nothing to do with external speakers. I need help! Would a bad 'sound card' do this?

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
From everything I have read, your issue is caused by interference of some nature - cell-tower nearby perhaps. The (seemingly) best course of action to take now - I'm stealing from F100_Supersabre at Yahoo answers...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070809104335AAwnVTT
"... find the "antenna source", by disconnecting things one at a time until it disappears while you are hearing it. The LAST thing disconnected is where the signal is being picked up from."
If you have perifrials connected to your laptop (printer, external monitor, ext HDD etc.) disconnecting may work. You can try changing location of the laptop (if possible) but since it is the filters (or lack thereof) within the laptop itself, replacing parts does not appear to be an effective solution.

Definitely not a bad sound card.
Sounds to me like you're getting TV feeds over the internet.

Boot up in Windows Safe Mode with Networking. This loads only a bare minimum of Windows services and programs. Do a clean install of a different web browser than you've used before - such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Do you still get the extra audio inputs while watching NetFlix?

rsf6850

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

I have experienced this problem in different situations. Plugged directly into the wall in my sewing room with external speakers hooked up, and in the living room plugged into a surge protector. In neither case did I have other devices plugged in like a printer or external hard drive. I appreciate your help, any other ideas come to mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.