Potential Gyruss mod - bad idea?

I have a Gyruss machine (maybe my all-time favorite) that I'm considering
attempting to mod. What I'd like to do is add a Time Pilot PCB and
configure the machine so that I could switch between the two. Without
buying some sort of x-in-1 or Konami Classics board, can this easily be
done? I'm no whiz with arcade machines, and my thought is that perhaps
this could be done by simply adding secondary power supply lines and using
a switch to determine which board gets the power.

This is probably oversimplified, so I'm interested in opinions and
recommendations on how I might do this without destroying Gyruss. :)

Thanks,

--
Slor

Cheapest way:
Mount both boards with the edge connectors facing up (rather than
pointing at the back door). Plug and unplug them by reaching through
the coin door.

*shrug*

Problem solved.

Rob

What's wrong with just swapping the boards? It can't take more than 2 minutes....
Seriously, how often are you going to want to change games?

Matt
http://www.scoresaves.info

"Slor" <slor@comcast.net> wrote in message news:1114020094.4d73294a8f9d7fafd5d84493ff7a4dc3@teranews...
>I have a Gyruss machine (maybe my all-time favorite) that I'm considering
> attempting to mod. What I'd like to do is add a Time Pilot PCB and
> configure the machine so that I could switch between the two. Without
> buying some sort of x-in-1 or Konami Classics board, can this easily be
> done? I'm no whiz with arcade machines, and my thought is that perhaps
> this could be done by simply adding secondary power supply lines and using
> a switch to determine which board gets the power.
>
> This is probably oversimplified, so I'm interested in opinions and
> recommendations on how I might do this without destroying Gyruss. :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Slor

Again, mount the boards so they're accessible through the coin door.
No rear panel access required... I mean, let's face it... most of us
guys don't get the rear panel access we'd like (ba da bing).

It will take a little doing on your part, but if you make a little
shelf or what-have-you so you can kinda sandwich the boardsets, your
average trained dog could unplug one game and plug the other one in.

The next cheapest step up is a switch or switchbox, a shitload of wire,
some diodes, and IMHO way more trouble than it's worth.

Yeah, I'm the same guy... sorry I never got back to you, it just plum
slipped my mind. I've actually been playing my 8-bit a lot lately, so
let me dig through my carts and see if I can find Gyruss.

Later,
Rob

Just get a Multi-JAMMA kit and two Konami to JAMMA
adaptors and you're all set! Of course, if you want
to preserve the original harness (please!), then
you'll also need to Gyruss harness to JAMMA harness
adaptor, so the Multi-JAMMA kit will plug into the
cabinet.

Scott C.

Slor wrote:
> I have a Gyruss machine (maybe my all-time favorite) that I'm considering
> attempting to mod. What I'd like to do is add a Time Pilot PCB and
> configure the machine so that I could switch between the two. Without
> buying some sort of x-in-1 or Konami Classics board, can this easily be
> done? I'm no whiz with arcade machines, and my thought is that perhaps
> this could be done by simply adding secondary power supply lines and using
> a switch to determine which board gets the power.
>
> This is probably oversimplified, so I'm interested in opinions and
> recommendations on how I might do this without destroying Gyruss. :)
>
> Thanks,

Despite all prevention efforts, Scott Caldwell
<lscottcaldwell@excite.com> wrote in

> Just get a Multi-JAMMA kit and two Konami to JAMMA
> adaptors and you're all set! Of course, if you want
> to preserve the original harness (please!), then
> you'll also need to Gyruss harness to JAMMA harness
> adaptor, so the Multi-JAMMA kit will plug into the
> cabinet.

How much would one expect to shell out for the two kits and two adapters?
I'm in cheapskate mode right now, and I'd also like to replace the monitor
one of these days...

--
Slor

Despite all prevention efforts, "Rob Carroll" <robert.carroll30
@verizon.net> wrote in news:1114021795.847919.266510
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Cheapest way:
> Mount both boards with the edge connectors facing up (rather than
> pointing at the back door). Plug and unplug them by reaching through
> the coin door.
>
> *shrug*
>
> Problem solved.
>
> Rob

Indeed - that's the cheapest route. Problem is I won't have extreme ease
of access to the rear panel and I'd like it to be switchable for the
average player.

By the way, are you the Rob Carroll that emailed me last year about the
Gyruss cartridge for my 8-bit computer? I never heard back, and I'm still
looking to get ahold of one.

--
Slor

Despite all prevention efforts, "Matt Osborn" <osborn@alum.mit.edu>
wrote in news:1114022052.651527@hqnntp01.autodesk.com:

> What's wrong with just swapping the boards? It can't take more than 2
> minutes.... Seriously, how often are you going to want to change
> games?

Actually, pretty often. I'm a big fan of both. :) One of these days, I'm
gonna get my high score kit added to the Gyruss too! I broke my scoring
record last night and forgot to record it before I turned the machine off.
Ugh!

--

@verizon.net> wrote in news:1114027858.793274.60570
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Again, mount the boards so they're accessible through the coin door.
> No rear panel access required... I mean, let's face it... most of us
> guys don't get the rear panel access we'd like (ba da bing).

My mistake - I misread that part of your post. :) Not a bad idea.

> It will take a little doing on your part, but if you make a little
> shelf or what-have-you so you can kinda sandwich the boardsets, your
> average trained dog could unplug one game and plug the other one in.
>
> The next cheapest step up is a switch or switchbox, a shitload of wire,
> some diodes, and IMHO way more trouble than it's worth.
>
> Yeah, I'm the same guy... sorry I never got back to you, it just plum
> slipped my mind. I've actually been playing my 8-bit a lot lately, so
> let me dig through my carts and see if I can find Gyruss.

Thanks!

--
Slor

TRENDING THREADS