Just Reformatted, Re-installed Windows XP, and now...

every time I try to install a program, it stalls out either halfway through
the installation, or at the very end.

Long Version:

I was helping a friend reformat his computer, as it was so heavily infected
with virues/spyware we couldn't do anything for it. Okay, so we manage to
reformat it, only to find that the original disk that was shipped with it
(Dell Dimesion 4600, or something) was missing. Gone, into the depths of time
and space, whatever. So, I borrow the basic installation disc for XP that I
own, and use the Windows XP serial on the side of the machine. It works fine.
Second problem arises. No drivers, for anything. So, I go home and find the
ones that dell says we need. We install them. Things start running again.
That's good. Internet works, all that.
Now, the final problem looms ahead. My friend later tried to install Halo
for the PC. Halfway through, it stalls out. He can't get it to finish, any
time. He tries something else, Deus Ex. Stalls out at the end. I try Evil
Genius. Stalls out at the end. The CD drive whirrs like mad, and puts out a
lot of heat... then stops trying. I've no idea what's happened, so perhaps
someone here does? I'd appreciate any help, comments, heck, even sarcastic
remarks wouldn't be too bad. Thanks in advance!

Did u Do all the updates from windows update ?

Did he clean his CD, That is if the installation is on a CD ?

Drive is having a Hard time reading the CD

Hopefully he has administrative rights and NOT a limited USER

Mystrunner wrote:

> every time I try to install a program, it stalls out either halfway through
> the installation, or at the very end.
>
> Long Version:
>
> I was helping a friend reformat his computer, as it was so heavily infected
> with virues/spyware we couldn't do anything for it. Okay, so we manage to
> reformat it, only to find that the original disk that was shipped with it
> (Dell Dimesion 4600, or something) was missing. Gone, into the depths of time
> and space, whatever. So, I borrow the basic installation disc for XP that I
> own, and use the Windows XP serial on the side of the machine. It works fine.
> Second problem arises. No drivers, for anything. So, I go home and find the
> ones that dell says we need. We install them. Things start running again.
> That's good. Internet works, all that.
> Now, the final problem looms ahead. My friend later tried to install Halo
> for the PC. Halfway through, it stalls out. He can't get it to finish, any
> time. He tries something else, Deus Ex. Stalls out at the end. I try Evil
> Genius. Stalls out at the end. The CD drive whirrs like mad, and puts out a
> lot of heat... then stops trying. I've no idea what's happened, so perhaps
> someone here does? I'd appreciate any help, comments, heck, even sarcastic
> remarks wouldn't be too bad. Thanks in advance!

TRENDING THREADS