outgoing mail winxp home sp2 issue

Help please.. Bell south says this is is a microsoft sp2 problem. The
FIREWALL IS TURNED OFF. I'm running WinXP Home SP2 on a Dell desktoP 4400
series and using MS Outlook Express 6.00. I can not reach the Bell South
smtp server from outlook express to send mail.
error msg reads:
"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net',
Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"
2 answers Last reply
More about outgoing mail winxp home issue

    Hi ... I'm not sure as to whether this will help but , it worth given a try
    , If it doesn't work just undo what I am about to tell you to perform ... If
    you open outlook express and click the following >>> Tools >>>Accounts >>>
    click the " Mail " tab >> then properties on the right >>> select the "
    Server " tab , Now look to see as to whether you have a check mark on " My
    server requires authentication " If its not there add a check mark there and
    click apply , Now try out and see if you can send emails , If this doesn't
    correct your problem , just remove the check mark , hope it works

    "CajunRN" <cajunrn1940> wrote in message
    > Help please.. Bell south says this is is a microsoft sp2 problem. The
    > FIREWALL IS TURNED OFF. I'm running WinXP Home SP2 on a Dell desktoP 4400
    > series and using MS Outlook Express 6.00. I can not reach the Bell South
    > smtp server from outlook express to send mail.
    > error msg reads:
    > "The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net',
    > Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
    > Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

    I'm having the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

    "CajunRN" wrote:

    > Help please.. Bell south says this is is a microsoft sp2 problem. The
    > FIREWALL IS TURNED OFF. I'm running WinXP Home SP2 on a Dell desktoP 4400
    > series and using MS Outlook Express 6.00. I can not reach the Bell South
    > smtp server from outlook express to send mail.
    > error msg reads:
    > "The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net',
    > Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
    > Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

Outlook Express Microsoft Servers Windows XP