Buy a R9800SE 256bit (online) in Canada?

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I consider buying a Radeon 9800 SE 128Megs 256bit. I found that the PowerColor R98SE-C3 offer what I need and it's quite cheap. By the way, I will soft-mod it to Radeon 9800 PRO.

Here is my main problem, I can't find a place to buy it from Canada. Both NewEgg, PC Supply Source, GameVE and Future Power PC don't ship in Canada. I can't actually make an account on these site.

So, I have 2 questions :
- Where can I buy this card online (shipping in Canada)?
- Is there any other 9800SE with 256bit bus?

My only concern is that this card is AGP. PCI-EXPRESS will come soon to the market. But, I doubt that a card will soon offer the same price/performance ratio (considering soft-modding). I doubt that the X600 or the GeForce 6800GT will be sold for only 160$US by the end of the summer (I will change my MB/CPU/RAM around this period).

NOTE : I called a couple of local store and they only have 128bit 9800SE cards.

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
YOu canadians should write letters to newegg and try to get them to ship to canada. Of coarse there might be a problem with payment since the currency but if you pay in us $ then they should ship to you. Hell, all non-americans should do the same thing and get newegg to supply internationally. I've never could anywhere on the internet that has beat their prices for me.

I <3 you canadians I think you guys deserve the same service.

AMD64 2800+
MSI Neo-Fis2r
512mb Kingmax ddr400
Sapphire 9800pro 128mb
10K WD Raptor<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by donniedarko on 06/18/04 12:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
There really isn't a point, since if newegg ships to canada, we have to pay customs/brokerage/taxes fees of about 37-45% of the value of the item(depending on province)... So might as well buy in Canada.

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/celebgay.html" target="_new">click here now!!</A>

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/epilepsyr.shtml" target="_new">DON'T CLICK HERE!!</A>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
There is always the "gift" trick when you buy in US and ship in Canada. :smile:

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

G

hehe the classical gift trick eBay style. It doesnt work 100% tough had to ay some taxes a few times but saved me a few bucks quite often!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-3-3-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I bought memory upgrade for my laptop a couple of weeks ago from MemoryX.net and they have a CLEAR checkbox on the shipping label that is labeled "Gift". I got not hassle, no taxes, etc...

But someday, governement will stop this, since they loose money! For now, we can still abuse it!!! :smile:

--

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Hey rod remember, your soft mod on those cards is VERY hit and miss. Those pipes have been disabled for a reason usually, so be advised.

They had them on newegg for $125, i was posting on advice on getting one about a week ago. I decided not to and just wait it out for the next gen cards.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
your soft mod on those cards is VERY hit and miss. Those pipes have been disabled for a reason usually, so be advised.
I know it, but from the users comments on NEWEGG, the cards seems to mod flawlessly most of the time. And for the price (equal to 9600XT), it's not a risky move, since the 9800SE 128bits provide equivalent or faster performance than Radeon 9600PRO, the 256bit should be as fast or a bit faster. I would not be surprised to see a stock 256bit 9800SE beat a 9600XT is some benchmarks.

They had them on newegg for $125, i was posting on advice on getting one about a week ago.
The 125$ version is the refurbished, and some of them are probably non-working when soft-modded, so it's may be the reason why they were returned by customers.

--

G

Well with 256bit wide memory interface the only diff is the clock speed.
Flash the bios and you get a full Pro for quite cheaper....

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-3-3-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
No thats completely wrong. The SE only has 4 pipes, the Pro has 8 pipes. It is not enbled by a BIOS flash but by using Omega drivers.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
The only way to gurantee that no fees would be charged is to write the item to be worth $20 or less, or a warranty return.

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/celebgay.html" target="_new">click here now!!</A>

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/epilepsyr.shtml" target="_new">DON'T CLICK HERE!!</A>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
No thats completely wrong. The SE only has 4 pipes, the Pro has 8 pipes. It is not enbled by a BIOS flash but by using Omega drivers.
You are wrong too... :smile: You can mod a 9800SE either with a BIOS flash or with a modified driver set. Not necessarly OMEGA. You need to change one .dll file with a modified version.

--

G

Oh ok didnt catch that bottom line is you can still have the 8 pipes. So if you can find a SE and your confident you can soft mod it to Pro speed/# of pipes, why not get it if its cheaper...
Only problem is that if you plan to sell it after a lile while it will be much cheaper too.

From what I've seen the R9800SE-128bit is SLOWEr than the R9600PRo, and the 256 CAN be slower, but is more evenly matched, with the R9800SE-256bit winning more than losing, to the XT it loses most benchies.

Remember that some of the early SE benchies were very 'select' cards, with rare parts. So the review like the HEXUS one of the Hercules card isn't what you get from your average SE.

Anywhoo, it's risky, especially if priced the same as an R9600XT. But it can be worth the risk if you have a good return policy.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
From what I've seen the R9800SE-128bit is SLOWEr than the R9600PRo
I checked THG - VGA Chart III, and the R9800SE 128bit can be compared to the R9600PRO/XT in most benchmarks.

<A HREF="http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD02NTUmdXJsX3BhZ2U9MQ" target="_new">Hexus AIW R9800SE Review</A>
<A HREF="http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/video/Sapphire_9800SE_1.html" target="_new">Extreme Overclocking review</A>
<A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/sapphire-5.html" target="_new">Digit-Life 128bit version review</A>

By checking reviews, we clearly see that UN-MODDED 128bit version get very bad results. But standard 256bit version are comparable to 9600PRO/XT. And modded 256bit 9800SE clearly BEAT any 9600 based board! So, I cross my fingers and expect that the 256bit I will buy will work when soft modded to R9800PRO. And if it don't work, I will at least, get the 9600PRO/XT performance for about the same price.

NOTE : I just ask for a quotation from an online retailer, he said to me, that he could get one for 74$CA... I couldn't accept that offer, since I'm sure he didn't got the good price, it's impossible to buy a NEW R9800SE at this price anywhere in the world. I ask him to double check his price with the part number I provided him. If he still ask 74$CA for it! I will buy 10 of these cards and I will resell them on eBAY!!! :smile:

--

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
So if you can find a SE and your confident you can soft mod it to Pro speed/# of pipes, why not get it if its cheaper...
I actually try hard to get one in Canada, but it seems that Powercolor don't export them in Canada yet... Will they??? I doubt!

Only problem is that if you plan to sell it after a lile while it will be much cheaper too.
Not sure, if you put it on eBay, you will surely find bodget overclocker's that will be very interested in a "cheap Radeon 9800 PRO". Actually, there is no risk in term of price, the R9800SE 256bit perfroms really well compared to R9600PRO and they are sold around the same price.

--

Yeah the 256bit is very competitive, and moded, yeah it's no contest.

Unmoded it's really a question of what benchies you run, and how close to the benchmarks you read that your card comes, alotof them were getting much cheaper memory that was clocked below the HEXUS review like I mentioned. As I said, it can pay off big time, just ask WUSY, but it is a risk, and people should be aware. But hey, for the price if it works, it's a great deal. And espcially if you can find it for that $74! Heck I'd probably buy one just for the fun of attempting moding it.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
And espcially if you can find it for that $74! Heck I'd probably buy one just for the fun of attempting moding it.
As I tought! They messed with the price... At 74$ it's the 9600SE... They informed me that Powercolor Canada don't have the 9800SE 256bit listed in their available products! It's bad!

--