nicole

I have tried so many things to play DVD's on this thing and I'm totally
frustrated now. I have run the troubleshooting, changed resolution, etc. I
have a decoder and updated my drivers. I have multiple playing software and
the result is the same, good sound but the video is choppy at best. Barely
able to make out what is playing. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

What are you using for a Video card?? How much memory on the card??
peterk

safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
"Nicole" <Nicole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have tried so many things to play DVD's on this thing and I'm totally
> frustrated now. I have run the troubleshooting, changed resolution, etc. I
> have a decoder and updated my drivers. I have multiple playing software
> and
> the result is the same, good sound but the video is choppy at best. Barely
> able to make out what is playing. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

nicole

ok, not too smart....how do I find how much memory is on the video card?

"peterk" wrote:

> What are you using for a Video card?? How much memory on the card??
> peterk
>
> --
> "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
> safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
> sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
> used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
> "Nicole" <Nicole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have tried so many things to play DVD's on this thing and I'm totally
> > frustrated now. I have run the troubleshooting, changed resolution, etc. I
> > have a decoder and updated my drivers. I have multiple playing software
> > and
> > the result is the same, good sound but the video is choppy at best. Barely
> > able to make out what is playing. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Try this:

Right-click on the desktop, pick "Properties", then "Settings", then
"Advanced", then "Display Adaptor". It should show you all the details.

The theory is that you don't have a good enough graphics adaptor to play
DVD's. It would also be good to report your CPU speed and system memory.

Right-click on "My Computer", then "Properties", then wait a minute until
the CPU and memory show on the "General" tab.

Good luck!

"nicole" wrote:

> ok, not too smart....how do I find how much memory is on the video card?
>
> "peterk" wrote:
>
> > What are you using for a Video card?? How much memory on the card??
> > peterk
> >
> > --
> > "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
> > safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
> > sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
> > used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
> > "Nicole" <Nicole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have tried so many things to play DVD's on this thing and I'm totally
> > > frustrated now. I have run the troubleshooting, changed resolution, etc. I
> > > have a decoder and updated my drivers. I have multiple playing software
> > > and
> > > the result is the same, good sound but the video is choppy at best. Barely
> > > able to make out what is playing. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

nicole

Got it!
it tells me that it is a 32 MB NVIDIA GeForce2 Go (Dell Mobile)
Chip type: GeForce FX Go5200
DAC: Integrated RAMDAC
Memory size: 32MB
Adapter string:GeForce FX Go5200
Bios Info: Version 4.34.20.34.B5

CPU Usage thingy....
4 CPU 3.06GHz
3.06 GHz, 512 MB of Ram
Gonna ask the questions....
If this video card isn't large enough to play my DVD's is this a hardware
item that has to be replaced or a software item that can be updated?
What should I have to make it work?
"MichaelHensley" wrote:

> Try this:
>
> Right-click on the desktop, pick "Properties", then "Settings", then
> "Advanced", then "Display Adaptor". It should show you all the details.
>
> The theory is that you don't have a good enough graphics adaptor to play
> DVD's. It would also be good to report your CPU speed and system memory.
>
> Right-click on "My Computer", then "Properties", then wait a minute until
> the CPU and memory show on the "General" tab.
>
> Good luck!
>
> "nicole" wrote:
>
> > ok, not too smart....how do I find how much memory is on the video card?
> >
> > "peterk" wrote:
> >
> > > What are you using for a Video card?? How much memory on the card??
> > > peterk
> > >
> > > --
> > > "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
> > > safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
> > > sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
> > > used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
> > > "Nicole" <Nicole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

damo

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

So I perceive you're running a fairly recent model Dell Laptop. With that
hardware you should be able to play DVDs at good quality, as I make do with a
Celeron 1.1GHz, 8MB RAM integrated video and 384MB memory. Speak to someone
with Dell or use another computer. Sorry I know I'm not much help here.
Damo

"nicole" wrote:

> Got it!
> it tells me that it is a 32 MB NVIDIA GeForce2 Go (Dell Mobile)
> Chip type: GeForce FX Go5200
> DAC: Integrated RAMDAC
> Memory size: 32MB
> Adapter string:GeForce FX Go5200
> Bios Info: Version 4.34.20.34.B5
>
> CPU Usage thingy....
> 4 CPU 3.06GHz
> 3.06 GHz, 512 MB of Ram
> Gonna ask the questions....
> If this video card isn't large enough to play my DVD's is this a hardware
> item that has to be replaced or a software item that can be updated?
> What should I have to make it work?
> "MichaelHensley" wrote:
>
> > Try this:
> >
> > Right-click on the desktop, pick "Properties", then "Settings", then
> > "Advanced", then "Display Adaptor". It should show you all the details.
> >
> > The theory is that you don't have a good enough graphics adaptor to play
> > DVD's. It would also be good to report your CPU speed and system memory.
> >
> > Right-click on "My Computer", then "Properties", then wait a minute until
> > the CPU and memory show on the "General" tab.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > "nicole" wrote:
> >
> > > ok, not too smart....how do I find how much memory is on the video card?

Your system & hardware are more than adequate. Could be a problem with the
DVD software that supplied the codecs. You could try to uninstall then
reinstall the DVD player software. Also check to see if you have the latest
version of DirectX.

> Got it!
> it tells me that it is a 32 MB NVIDIA GeForce2 Go (Dell Mobile)
> Chip type: GeForce FX Go5200
> DAC: Integrated RAMDAC
> Memory size: 32MB
> Adapter string:GeForce FX Go5200
> Bios Info: Version 4.34.20.34.B5
>
> CPU Usage thingy....
> 4 CPU 3.06GHz
> 3.06 GHz, 512 MB of Ram
> Gonna ask the questions....
> If this video card isn't large enough to play my DVD's is this a hardware
> item that has to be replaced or a software item that can be updated?
> What should I have to make it work?
> "MichaelHensley" wrote:
>
>> Try this:
>>
>> Right-click on the desktop, pick "Properties", then "Settings", then
>> "Advanced", then "Display Adaptor". It should show you all the details.
>>
>> The theory is that you don't have a good enough graphics adaptor to play
>> DVD's. It would also be good to report your CPU speed and system memory.
>>
>> Right-click on "My Computer", then "Properties", then wait a minute until
>> the CPU and memory show on the "General" tab.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> "nicole" wrote:
>>
>> > ok, not too smart....how do I find how much memory is on the video
>> > card?

Well that should certainly play DVDs with no problems!

My next guess would be that something is chewing up your CPU (virus,
spyware, or just something you installed and forgot about).

With NOTHING running, do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and click on "Task Manager".
Next, click on the "Performance" tab and watch it for a few minutes. With
nothing else running, the CPU usage should stay below 5% or so. If it
doesn't, click on the "Processes" tab and see what processes are using up
CPU. Post the names here, and see if anyone can make any suggestions.

Or, go here and research it for yourself:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

Good luck!

"nicole" wrote:

> Got it!
> it tells me that it is a 32 MB NVIDIA GeForce2 Go (Dell Mobile)
> Chip type: GeForce FX Go5200
> DAC: Integrated RAMDAC
> Memory size: 32MB
> Adapter string:GeForce FX Go5200
> Bios Info: Version 4.34.20.34.B5
>
> CPU Usage thingy....
> 4 CPU 3.06GHz
> 3.06 GHz, 512 MB of Ram
> Gonna ask the questions....
> If this video card isn't large enough to play my DVD's is this a hardware
> item that has to be replaced or a software item that can be updated?
> What should I have to make it work?
> "MichaelHensley" wrote:
>
> > Try this:
> >
> > Right-click on the desktop, pick "Properties", then "Settings", then
> > "Advanced", then "Display Adaptor". It should show you all the details.
> >
> > The theory is that you don't have a good enough graphics adaptor to play
> > DVD's. It would also be good to report your CPU speed and system memory.
> >
> > Right-click on "My Computer", then "Properties", then wait a minute until
> > the CPU and memory show on the "General" tab.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > "nicole" wrote:
> >
> > > ok, not too smart....how do I find how much memory is on the video card?

nicole

I have monitored the CPU usage.....nothing. 0%.....when I change tabs in task
manager it bumps to 4% for a split second and then back to zero. Before I
reported my issue I had already downloaded the current version of DirectX and
cannot understand why even multiple playing programs give me the same
results. I played video from my camcorder on it tonight and it worked great.
I will research on the link you suggested but any other tips would be greatly
appreciated!
THAAANK YYYYYOOOOOUUU!!!!!