Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Needing 'Control-Alt-Delete' to log on

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 12:24:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I used to need to enter 'Control-Alt-Delete' before logging on, but a few
days ago that disappeared. On the Microsoft Help Site it says I should go
to Control Panel > User Accounts > Advanced tab and tick the required box
...... but my 'User Account' page hasn't got an Advanced tab ! (This problem
refers to my lap-top, but I've looked on my Desktop computer and that hasn't
got one either)

Brian Frith

More about : needing control alt delete log

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 12:24:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Brian Frith" <frith@shrublands.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o J$iK%23hTFHA.3140@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I used to need to enter 'Control-Alt-Delete' before logging on, but a
>few
> days ago that disappeared. On the Microsoft Help Site it says I
> should go
> to Control Panel > User Accounts > Advanced tab and tick the required
> box
> ..... but my 'User Account' page hasn't got an Advanced tab ! (This
> problem
> refers to my lap-top, but I've looked on my Desktop computer and that
> hasn't
> got one either)
>

Type the following in the Run command box (WinKey+R)

control userpasswords2

You will find the option there.

--
William
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:08:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks for the tip - I can now see the advanced tab and open up the dialogue
box .... but the option to select 'Control Alt Delete' is greyed out! Any
more ideas?

Brian

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:#b#G5WiTFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "Brian Frith" <frith@shrublands.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o J$iK%23hTFHA.3140@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >I used to need to enter 'Control-Alt-Delete' before logging on, but a
> >few
> > days ago that disappeared. On the Microsoft Help Site it says I
> > should go
> > to Control Panel > User Accounts > Advanced tab and tick the required
> > box
> > ..... but my 'User Account' page hasn't got an Advanced tab ! (This
> > problem
> > refers to my lap-top, but I've looked on my Desktop computer and that
> > hasn't
> > got one either)
> >
>
> Type the following in the Run command box (WinKey+R)
>
> control userpasswords2
>
> You will find the option there.
>
> --
> William
>
>
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:08:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Brian Frith" <frith@shrublands.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:%23tShjt1TFHA.1152@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the tip - I can now see the advanced tab and open up the
> dialogue
> box .... but the option to select 'Control Alt Delete' is greyed out!
> Any
> more ideas?
>

Not sure why it is greyed out.

But you can edit the Registry to have CTRL-ALT-DEL require to logon.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\System
and
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

DisableCAD
REG_DWORD
0 = CTL-ALT-DEL is on at logon
1= CTL-ALT-DEL is off at logon

--
William
!