When I boot into windows XP, I login correctly but then nothing shows up. No
start menu or any desktop icons. When I go to task manager, I don't see
explorer.exe as a process running..... I know this has something to do with
desktop... any ideas?

-matt

In the Task Manager, click on "New Task" (below) and write without the quotes "explorer.exe".

"gonzal51" <gonzal51@morrisville.edu> escribió en el mensaje news:OKjKAIiTFHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> When I boot into windows XP, I login correctly but then nothing shows up. No
> start menu or any desktop icons. When I go to task manager, I don't see
> explorer.exe as a process running..... I know this has something to do with
> desktop... any ideas?
>
> -matt

I do but it appears then goes away real quick no matter how many times I do
it.

"José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
In the Task Manager, click on "New Task" (below) and write without the
quotes "explorer.exe".

"gonzal51" <gonzal51@morrisville.edu> escribió en el mensaje
> When I boot into windows XP, I login correctly but then nothing shows up.
No
> start menu or any desktop icons. When I go to task manager, I don't see
> explorer.exe as a process running..... I know this has something to do
with
> desktop... any ideas?
>
> -matt

Has this appeared suddenly, or after installing somethig hard or soft? Have you had a virus infection? If you restart in safe mode (when BIOS screen turns black, hit several times F8 and choose this option), do the icons, etc. appear?

"gonzal51" <gonzal51@morrisville.edu> escribió en el mensaje news:%23SRW$aiTFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I do but it appears then goes away real quick no matter how many times I do
> it.
>

> "José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
> In the Task Manager, click on "New Task" (below) and write without the
> quotes "explorer.exe".
>
> "gonzal51" <gonzal51@morrisville.edu> escribió en el mensaje
>> When I boot into windows XP, I login correctly but then nothing shows up.
> No
>> start menu or any desktop icons. When I go to task manager, I don't see
>> explorer.exe as a process running..... I know this has something to do
> with
>> desktop... any ideas?
>>
>> -matt

Yes suddenly. I thought it was a bad boot-up at first, so I rebooted and it
stayed the same. Safe mode is the same thing background but no icons or
anything and no explorer.exe is there.
Has this appeared suddenly, or after installing somethig hard or soft? Have
you had a virus infection? If you restart in safe mode (when BIOS screen
turns black, hit several times F8 and choose this option), do the icons,
etc. appear?

"gonzal51" <gonzal51@morrisville.edu> escribió en el mensaje
>I do but it appears then goes away real quick no matter how many times I do
> it.
>

> "José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
> In the Task Manager, click on "New Task" (below) and write without the
> quotes "explorer.exe".
>
> "gonzal51" <gonzal51@morrisville.edu> escribió en el mensaje
>> When I boot into windows XP, I login correctly but then nothing shows up.
> No
>> start menu or any desktop icons. When I go to task manager, I don't see
>> explorer.exe as a process running..... I know this has something to do
> with
>> desktop... any ideas?
>>
>> -matt

Try this:

"gonzal51" <gonzal51@morrisville.edu> escribió en el mensaje news:uYg0MmiTFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Yes suddenly. I thought it was a bad boot-up at first, so I rebooted and it
> stayed the same. Safe mode is the same thing background but no icons or
> anything and no explorer.exe is there.
> "José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
> Has this appeared suddenly, or after installing somethig hard or soft? Have
> you had a virus infection? If you restart in safe mode (when BIOS screen
> turns black, hit several times F8 and choose this option), do the icons,
> etc. appear?
>
> "gonzal51" <gonzal51@morrisville.edu> escribió en el mensaje
>>I do but it appears then goes away real quick no matter how many times I do
>> it.
>>

>> "José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
>> In the Task Manager, click on "New Task" (below) and write without the
>> quotes "explorer.exe".
>>
>> "gonzal51" <gonzal51@morrisville.edu> escribió en el mensaje
>>> When I boot into windows XP, I login correctly but then nothing shows up.
>> No
>>> start menu or any desktop icons. When I go to task manager, I don't see
>>> explorer.exe as a process running..... I know this has something to do
>> with
>>> desktop... any ideas?
>>>
>>> -matt

Hi,

I have a similar problem. All my desktop icons have disappeared from my
desktop. Were you able to figure out how to restore your desktop? If so,
would you share it with me?

Regards,

Bill

"gonzal51" wrote:

> When I boot into windows XP, I login correctly but then nothing shows up. No
> start menu or any desktop icons. When I go to task manager, I don't see
> explorer.exe as a process running..... I know this has something to do with
> desktop... any ideas?
>
> -matt

I have the same problem on my Laptop however, a temporary solution was to hit ctrl+alt+del and under the shut down option to log off then it has a problem with ending explorer.exe after clicking end process now then logging on again I gain access as long the computer is on but, turning the computer off results in the same darn problem. Hope this helps somebody.

FNS