Should I stay with Fido? Change phones? or Change carriers?

Last response: in Network Providers
May 25, 2004 5:04:06 PM

I'm in Ottawa, and I have the Mitsubishi G310. I'm getting a lot of
"Call Failed" messages. A search showed that back in 2001, people
blamed the phone. But, they're rather predictable, usually around 5:00
pm. I also lose incoming calls: phone rings, caller id is displayed,
but it won't pick up. Caller gets busy. Phone shows "Unanswered".

I think I've had enough of this. My options are:

- I like GSM and use text-messaging. Switch to Rogers GSM

- try another phone on Fido - Siemens M55 seems to be the current
"cheap" phone at $50.

- something else?

Any opinions or experiences to share?

--
Henry Troup
"Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF"

On 25 May 2004 13:04:06 -0700, htroup@bigfoot.com (Henry Troup) wrote:

>I'm in Ottawa, and I have the Mitsubishi G310.
i had the 310. it failed a few times. so i got replacements.
now i have the m55. both had/have very good sound.
if you can get the m55 new for 50 bucks, why not?

to go to rogers now and sign a 2 year contract doesn't
make any sense. you can always go later, unlock
the m55 and have a spare phone.
....thehick
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 7:09:55 AM

In article <rvkho1-fvh.ln1@host.domain>,
"repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Voice quality on Rogers, which not as good as Fido, is definately quite
> usable, and certainly far better then Telus or Bell in my area. TTYL

My post was based on personal experience; yours may vary, but around
here Rogers is the very worst, Telus is okay, and Fido is great. (No
idea about Bell...)

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."

"Steven Fisher" <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> In article <rvkho1-fvh.ln1@host.domain>,
> "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Voice quality on Rogers, which not as good as Fido, is definately
quite
> > usable, and certainly far better then Telus or Bell in my area. TTYL
>
> My post was based on personal experience;

As was mine.

> yours may vary, but around
> here Rogers is the very worst, Telus is okay, and Fido is great. (No
> idea about Bell...)

Are you on the west coast? If so that might explain why you think Telus
is OK. Give Telus a try in Ontario. I don't think you've ever heard a worse
implementation of CDMA (which sounds bad enough to my ear even on Bell).
Clearnet never got it's echo cancelers working right, and Telus has done
nothing to improve that. Rogers TDMA was worse, but Rogers GSM is FAR
better. TTYL
!