Taskbar Icons

Hi. The 'Safely remove hardware' icon on my Taskbar no longer appears when I
connect USB devices. I have Windows XP Home Edition (with SP2) as my PC
operating system. The only way I can remove USB hardware now is to either
switch off my PC or just disconnect the device. Any idea how I can restore
the 'Safely remove hardware' icon?? If not what are the risks of juct
disconnecting USB devices as I used to do with Windows 98?
5 answers Last reply
More about taskbar icons

    Right-click My Computer
    Click Manage
    Under the Storage section, Right-click Removable Storage
    Click Properties
    Check both boxes:
    "Display operator request..."
    "Use status area icon..."
    Click [OK]

    Austin M. Horst

    Sometimes all you have to do is to turn the power ON for the USB device
    and the icon will pop up on the taskbar, try it!
    --
    I'm no expert, but I did stay at
    the Holiday Inn Express last night.

    "RobM" wrote:

    > Hi. The 'Safely remove hardware' icon on my Taskbar no longer appears when I
    > connect USB devices. I have Windows XP Home Edition (with SP2) as my PC
    > operating system. The only way I can remove USB hardware now is to either
    > switch off my PC or just disconnect the device. Any idea how I can restore
    > the 'Safely remove hardware' icon?? If not what are the risks of juct
    > disconnecting USB devices as I used to do with Windows 98?

    See if this helps:
    http://www.winbookcorp.com/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=XP&Number=23383&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

    "RobM" <RobM@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:82C3FA94-76FA-403A-91A2-FB98020094FC@microsoft.com...
    > Hi. The 'Safely remove hardware' icon on my Taskbar no longer appears when I
    > connect USB devices. I have Windows XP Home Edition (with SP2) as my PC
    > operating system. The only way I can remove USB hardware now is to either
    > switch off my PC or just disconnect the device. Any idea how I can restore
    > the 'Safely remove hardware' icon?? If not what are the risks of juct
    > disconnecting USB devices as I used to do with Windows 98?

    Hi,

    It is possible that the icon is being hidden when idle. click the "Show
    hidden icons" button in the task bar and see if its hiding there...

    (sometimes the simplest answers are the best) :)

    "RobM" <RobM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. The 'Safely remove hardware' icon on my Taskbar no longer appears when
    > connect USB devices. I have Windows XP Home Edition (with SP2) as my PC
    > operating system. The only way I can remove USB hardware now is to either
    > switch off my PC or just disconnect the device. Any idea how I can
    > restore
    > the 'Safely remove hardware' icon?? If not what are the risks of juct
    > disconnecting USB devices as I used to do with Windows 98?

    You need not log-off to remove the hardware. Simply go to My Computer right
    click on the appropriate USB device, presumably it shows as a removable disk
    in My Computer, and click on Eject. You, may then safely remove the device.
    If the icon is not hidden, the disappearing icon may be the result of the
    computer's start up procedure. If you log in as a compter user, let the
    computer completely run through its paces before logging in at start up. The
    flickering hard disk light will stop, then log in. I believe this will bring
    back your icon.

    "José Gallardo" wrote:

    > See if this helps:
    > http://www.winbookcorp.com/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=XP&Number=23383&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5
    >
    > "RobM" <RobM@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:82C3FA94-76FA-403A-91A2-FB98020094FC@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi. The 'Safely remove hardware' icon on my Taskbar no longer appears when I
    > > connect USB devices. I have Windows XP Home Edition (with SP2) as my PC
    > > operating system. The only way I can remove USB hardware now is to either
    > > switch off my PC or just disconnect the device. Any idea how I can restore
    > > the 'Safely remove hardware' icon?? If not what are the risks of juct
    > > disconnecting USB devices as I used to do with Windows 98?

Hardware Taskbar Devices Windows XP