Spyware

I have spyware on my computer and I can not get rid of it. I have tried to
download Beta from Microsoft but it's still there. Even on my background
screen it has been detected by it and I can't even change it because when I
go to change it's frozen.

If any one can help I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

Sarah
5 answers Last reply
More about spyware

    Go to the LavaSoft website and download Ad-Aware SE. It is always finding
    that stuff on my computer, and Anti-Spyware by Microsoft hasn't ever detected
    a thing.

    "Damo" wrote:

    > Go to the LavaSoft website and download Ad-Aware SE. It is always finding
    > that stuff on my computer, and Anti-Spyware by Microsoft hasn't ever detected
    > a thing.
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    >
    > "Sarah" wrote:
    >
    > > I have spyware on my computer and I can not get rid of it. I have tried to
    > > download Beta from Microsoft but it's still there. Even on my background
    > > screen it has been detected by it and I can't even change it because when I
    > > go to change it's frozen.
    > >
    > > If any one can help I would be most grateful.
    > >
    > > Many thanks.
    > >
    > > Sarah

    i had adware but it didnt work out as good as spybot seach and destroy i
    dont remember the website but if u google it should come up near the top.

    Sarah wrote:
    > I have spyware on my computer and I can not get rid of it. I have tried to
    > download Beta from Microsoft but it's still there. Even on my background
    > screen it has been detected by it and I can't even change it because when I
    > go to change it's frozen.
    >
    > If any one can help I would be most grateful.
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Sarah

    To deal with issues caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
    "spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Smiley Central, Xupiter, Bonzai
    Buddy, or KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but
    without understanding the consequences) installed, two products that
    are quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
    Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
    www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even possible
    to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system against most
    future intrusions. I use both and generally perform manual scans every
    week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

    Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
    varieties of scumware are available here:

    PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
    http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

    More information and assistance is available at these sites:

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The Parasite Fight
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Sarah

    Start by turning OFF the System Restore function.. click on the Start
    button.. right click on 'My Computer', then select Properties.. now select
    the 'System Restore' tab..

    Check the box "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all
    drives".. now click on 'Apply'.. you will be asked if it is ok to lose all
    restore points.. answer YES to this.. now click on 'OK'

    Some basic steps to removing Spyware/Adware.. I know that you have done some
    already..

    Run a one shot virus remover.. I have found that McAfee Stinger works for
    people.. download and run it..

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Another alternative is ..

    You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. Spybot and Adaware
    are available at these websites.. both are free.. download and run them..
    don't forget to check for updates after you have started them..

    .... and this link is for the latest Microsoft helping..

    Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for this
    function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check for
    updates..

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    Time to turn ON System Restore.. this is obviously like turning it OFF, so
    just reverse the procedure..

    If you have had your Internet browser hijacked, that is to say, you get
    redirected through a search engine NOT of your choosing, you will need
    different tools..

    HijackThis is a popular and effective tool.. download it from here..

    http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html

    CWShredder will eliminate CoolWebSearch and variants.. there is a free
    download here..

    CWShredder.. http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

    About:blank.. http://www.securiteam.com/securityreviews/5RP0L0UD5U.html

    http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml

    For other tools in the fight against spyware, visit this website and
    bookmark it..

    http://www.pchell.com

    You must also run a firewall and anti-virus program.. here are some links
    for you..

    http://www.mcafee.com

    http://www.symantec.com

    http://www.zonealarm.com

    http://www.kerio.com

    http://www.gate.com

    http://www.grisoft.com

    Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way that
    helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..

    Good luck..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Sarah" <Sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have spyware on my computer and I can not get rid of it. I have tried to
    > download Beta from Microsoft but it's still there. Even on my background
    > screen it has been detected by it and I can't even change it because when
    > go to change it's frozen.
    >
    > If any one can help I would be most grateful.
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Sarah

    "Sarah" <Sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have spyware on my computer and I can not get rid of it. I have tried to
    > download Beta from Microsoft but it's still there. Even on my background
    > screen it has been detected by it and I can't even change it because when
    > go to change it's frozen.
    >
    > If any one can help I would be most grateful.
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Sarah

    Try AdAware, free from www.lavasoft.com

Microsoft Spyware Windows XP