Spyware

May 1, 2005 9:01:02 AM

I have spyware on my computer and I can not get rid of it. I have tried to
download Beta from Microsoft but it's still there. Even on my background
screen it has been detected by it and I can't even change it because when I
go to change it's frozen.

If any one can help I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

Sarah

More about : spyware

May 1, 2005 9:10:05 AM

Go to the LavaSoft website and download Ad-Aware SE. It is always finding
that stuff on my computer, and Anti-Spyware by Microsoft hasn't ever detected
a thing.

"Sarah" wrote:

> I have spyware on my computer and I can not get rid of it. I have tried to
> download Beta from Microsoft but it's still there. Even on my background
> screen it has been detected by it and I can't even change it because when I
> go to change it's frozen.
>
> If any one can help I would be most grateful.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Sarah
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 10:28:03 AM

"Damo" wrote:

> Go to the LavaSoft website and download Ad-Aware SE. It is always finding
> that stuff on my computer, and Anti-Spyware by Microsoft hasn't ever detected
> a thing.
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>
> "Sarah" wrote:
>
> > I have spyware on my computer and I can not get rid of it. I have tried to
> > download Beta from Microsoft but it's still there. Even on my background
> > screen it has been detected by it and I can't even change it because when I
> > go to change it's frozen.
> >
> > If any one can help I would be most grateful.
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > Sarah

i had adware but it didnt work out as good as spybot seach and destroy i
dont remember the website but if u google it should come up near the top.
May 1, 2005 1:33:27 PM

Sarah wrote:
> I have spyware on my computer and I can not get rid of it. I have tried to
> download Beta from Microsoft but it's still there. Even on my background
> screen it has been detected by it and I can't even change it because when I
> go to change it's frozen.
>
> If any one can help I would be most grateful.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Sarah

To deal with issues caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
"spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Smiley Central, Xupiter, Bonzai
Buddy, or KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but
without understanding the consequences) installed, two products that
are quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even possible
to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system against most
future intrusions. I use both and generally perform manual scans every
week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
varieties of scumware are available here:

PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

More information and assistance is available at these sites:

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The Parasite Fight
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:36:25 PM

Sarah

Start by turning OFF the System Restore function.. click on the Start
button.. right click on 'My Computer', then select Properties.. now select
the 'System Restore' tab..

Check the box "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all
drives".. now click on 'Apply'.. you will be asked if it is ok to lose all
restore points.. answer YES to this.. now click on 'OK'

Some basic steps to removing Spyware/Adware.. I know that you have done some
already..

Run a one shot virus remover.. I have found that McAfee Stinger works for
people.. download and run it..

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Another alternative is ..

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as...

You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. Spybot and Adaware
are available at these websites.. both are free.. download and run them..
don't forget to check for updates after you have started them..

.... and this link is for the latest Microsoft helping..

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...

Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for this
function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check for
updates..

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

Time to turn ON System Restore.. this is obviously like turning it OFF, so
just reverse the procedure..

If you have had your Internet browser hijacked, that is to say, you get
redirected through a search engine NOT of your choosing, you will need
different tools..

HijackThis is a popular and effective tool.. download it from here..

http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis....

CWShredder will eliminate CoolWebSearch and variants.. there is a free
download here..

CWShredder.. http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...

About:blank.. http://www.securiteam.com/securityreviews/5RP0L0UD5U.ht...

http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml

For other tools in the fight against spyware, visit this website and
bookmark it..

http://www.pchell.com

You must also run a firewall and anti-virus program.. here are some links
for you..

http://www.mcafee.com

http://www.symantec.com

http://www.zonealarm.com

http://www.kerio.com

http://www.gate.com

http://www.grisoft.com

Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way that
helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..

Good luck..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Sarah" <Sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have spyware on my computer and I can not get rid of it. I have tried to
> download Beta from Microsoft but it's still there. Even on my background
> screen it has been detected by it and I can't even change it because when
> go to change it's frozen.
>
> If any one can help I would be most grateful.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Sarah
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:04:39 PM