Restore will not open

May 1, 2005 10:16:07 AM

An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS/System32\Shell32.dll,
Control_RunDLL
System restore application has encounterd a problem

The CPU has been running just find and I have not used restore for the past
year or so, but now it's not working

More about : restore open

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 1:52:15 PM

The only way to "un-install" the operating system is by

1. If you upgraded from Win9x, and opted to copy the old system during the
upgrade

2. Format the install partition

If option number 1 above, you will still be loaded with your infections

A clean format/install will usually solve the problem. You will lose
everything you had on the Windows partition.

Knowledgeable people will create an image of their Windows partition while
it is in a known "good state". Then if they get infected they just restore
from Windows partition image and go on their way. The restore process takes
about 5-10 minutes.

Knowledgeable people will also direct all of their personal files to be
stored on another partition. Then, when they restore an image of the Windows
partition they do not lose them!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"orvs1" <orvs1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> An exception occurred while trying to run
> "C:\WINDOWS/System32\Shell32.dll,
> Control_RunDLL
> System restore application has encounterd a problem
>
> The CPU has been running just find and I have not used restore for the
> past
> year or so, but now it's not working
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 6:30:26 PM

Hi

Try reinstalling System Restore. Open Windows Explorer and go to the
windows\inf folder. Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select
Install.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"orvs1" <orvs1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> An exception occurred while trying to run
> "C:\WINDOWS/System32\Shell32.dll,
> Control_RunDLL
> System restore application has encounterd a problem
>
> The CPU has been running just find and I have not used restore for the
> past
> year or so, but now it's not working
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:16:04 PM

Hi,

Is there more information contained in the error message?
Such as a reference to any file names.

Also check the Event Viewer System Restore errors?

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.

Click the Source tab to sort by name, look for "sr" and "srservice."

Double-click each of these services, and evaluate the event
description for any indication of the cause of the problem. Make note
of the Description, EventID and Source of these Event Properties that
show an Error or Warning and post it here.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

!