Restore will not open

An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS/System32\Shell32.dll,
Control_RunDLL
System restore application has encounterd a problem

The CPU has been running just find and I have not used restore for the past
year or so, but now it's not working
3 answers Last reply
More about restore open

    The only way to "un-install" the operating system is by

    1. If you upgraded from Win9x, and opted to copy the old system during the
    upgrade

    2. Format the install partition

    If option number 1 above, you will still be loaded with your infections

    A clean format/install will usually solve the problem. You will lose
    everything you had on the Windows partition.

    Knowledgeable people will create an image of their Windows partition while
    it is in a known "good state". Then if they get infected they just restore
    from Windows partition image and go on their way. The restore process takes
    about 5-10 minutes.

    Knowledgeable people will also direct all of their personal files to be
    stored on another partition. Then, when they restore an image of the Windows
    partition they do not lose them!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "orvs1" <orvs1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > An exception occurred while trying to run
    > "C:\WINDOWS/System32\Shell32.dll,
    > Control_RunDLL
    > System restore application has encounterd a problem
    >
    > The CPU has been running just find and I have not used restore for the
    > past
    > year or so, but now it's not working

    Hi

    Try reinstalling System Restore. Open Windows Explorer and go to the
    windows\inf folder. Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select
    Install.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "orvs1" <orvs1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > An exception occurred while trying to run
    > "C:\WINDOWS/System32\Shell32.dll,
    > Control_RunDLL
    > System restore application has encounterd a problem
    >
    > The CPU has been running just find and I have not used restore for the
    > past
    > year or so, but now it's not working

    Hi,

    Is there more information contained in the error message?
    Such as a reference to any file names.

    Also check the Event Viewer System Restore errors?

    Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.

    Click the Source tab to sort by name, look for "sr" and "srservice."

    Double-click each of these services, and evaluate the event
    description for any indication of the cause of the problem. Make note
    of the Description, EventID and Source of these Event Properties that
    show an Error or Warning and post it here.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    orvs1 wrote:
    > An exception occurred while trying to run
    > "C:\WINDOWS/System32\Shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL
    > System restore application has encounterd a problem
    >
    > The CPU has been running just find and I have not used
    > restore for the past year or so, but now it's not working

Windows XP