Windows Locks at random intervals

May 1, 2005 11:23:01 AM

Hi,

During working in Windows XP Home my computer locks up at random intervals,
im not sure why as it only started recently. Oh and by locks i mean freezes
the mouse keyboard become usless and if your playing music it studders like
its just locked up the whole computer.(it doesnt only happen why playing
music though). The only way to unlock the computer is with a reset or a
forced shutdown.

I am at a real loss to why its happening can any one help?
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 7:35:55 PM

Hi

Please have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors that may point to the
problem. From Start>Run type

eventvwr.msc

and then expand the folders in the left hand column. If you find any errors
could you please post the Source and Event ID? With those the problem could
be narrowed down.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Paul Robinson" <PaulRobinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> During working in Windows XP Home my computer locks up at random
> intervals,
> im not sure why as it only started recently. Oh and by locks i mean
> freezes
> the mouse keyboard become usless and if your playing music it studders
> like
> its just locked up the whole computer.(it doesnt only happen why playing
> music though). The only way to unlock the computer is with a reset or a
> forced shutdown.
>
> I am at a real loss to why its happening can any one help?
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 11:20:15 AM

Hi again

it only just jumped out again about 2 mins ago and i did what you said about
the event viewer and there are no errors for recent and others are just
little things like it complaining the network was off and windows had not
been activated(which it has now, cos of recent format it needed activating
again)....i dont know wether i metioned this before but i have formatted
twice and the bug has surivied both....

thanks for any more help.

Paul Robinson
May 2, 2005 8:57:56 PM

Hi

If there is nothing in the Event Viewer it could suggest a hardware problem.
Is it possible for you to try a different keyboard/mouse or to try that
keyboard/mouse on a different system to see if you get the same problems?

--

> Hi again
>
> it only just jumped out again about 2 mins ago and i did what you said
> about
> the event viewer and there are no errors for recent and others are just
> little things like it complaining the network was off and windows had not
> been activated(which it has now, cos of recent format it needed activating
> again)....i dont know wether i metioned this before but i have formatted
> twice and the bug has surivied both....
>
> thanks for any more help.
>
> Paul Robinson
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:57:57 PM

hi

I tried the keyboard and mouse on a different system and it diddnt crash the
machine. just wondering how could it be the keyboard and mouse when the whole
computer locks sound and eveything....

anyway the problem hasnt presented its self for a few hours but im still
open to suggestions..

Thanks for help so foar

Paul Robinson
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 11:19:57 PM

Hi

Could you please try a search in Windows Explorer for

*.dmp

If you find one of those files, and it is about 64 kbs in size, could you
please email it to me?

--

> hi
>
> I tried the keyboard and mouse on a different system and it diddnt crash
> the
> machine. just wondering how could it be the keyboard and mouse when the
> whole
> computer locks sound and eveything....
>
> anyway the problem hasnt presented its self for a few hours but im still
> open to suggestions..
>
> Thanks for help so foar
>
> Paul Robinson
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 11:19:58 PM

I sent the file to your address so i hope you can help..

thanks
!