open/save dialog box problems

May 2, 2005 4:19:24 AM

I have just installed XP Sp2 after a clean full format and reinstall
of XP Pro and I am having troubles with the open/save dialog box in all
Windows Programs, including just opening My Computer.

The problem is that nothing is happening, the open/save dialog box comes
up but when I click on the button for the drop down menu to drop down
and let me select where I want to go, nothing happens. Sometimes if I
get frustrated and go for a coffee or something then it might be opened
up. If I try to open My Computer it opens but the searching thing comes
up looking for my drives.

The weirdest thing is that Total Commander shows everything on my
computer perfectly fine.

Any help or advice would be appreciated
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:19:25 AM

Long delay before files appear in My Computer in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;819017

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"belveder" <belveder@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
news:D 52q9q$2d9s$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
> I have just installed XP Sp2 after a clean full format and reinstall of
> XP Pro and I am having troubles with the open/save dialog box in all
> Windows Programs, including just opening My Computer.
>
> The problem is that nothing is happening, the open/save dialog box comes
> up but when I click on the button for the drop down menu to drop down and
> let me select where I want to go, nothing happens. Sometimes if I get
> frustrated and go for a coffee or something then it might be opened up. If
> I try to open My Computer it opens but the searching thing comes up
> looking for my drives.
>
> The weirdest thing is that Total Commander shows everything on my computer
> perfectly fine.
>
> Any help or advice would be appreciated
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 10:47:15 AM

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Long delay before files appear in My Computer in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;819017

Thankyou for this, isn't Windows Image Acquisition a necessary service
though or won't it affect the computer much though in other ways?
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:01:46 PM

I never use any of the Imaging devices, and disabling them did not cause any
harm here.

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) enables imaging programs, such as Microsoft
Picture It! 2000, Kodak Imaging, or Adobe Photoshop, to communicate with
imaging devices such as digital cameras and scanners. WIA supports digital
still cameras and both low-end and high-end scanners; it also enables you to
retrieve still images from IEEE 1394-based digital video (DV) camcorders and
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Web cameras.

Description of Windows Image Acquisition:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266348

--

news:D 53h0v$2ovt$1@otis.netspace.net.au...

!