Sign in with
Your question

Linksys Router/4-Port Hub Internet Connection Prob

Last response: in Networking
March 25, 2002 4:05:03 PM

I have been trying to get my Linksys router working for some time, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. It's an older Linksys router (2 or 3 years old, I'm not sure if that’s important or not).

I can connect directly to the ‘net via my cable modem, so I know my PC networking setup is correct.

I don’t have a static IP address (Good ole AT&T changed that when they bought the @Home network…) so I only have to enter the fields:

Host Name: the goofy C-blah,blah,blah-A computer remain (I’m not sure if this really matter anymore, since I’ve connected different PC’s the ‘net via the cable modem and they don’t have that goofy name)
Domain Name: attbi.com
Subnet Mask: the standard 255 deal

And three DNS addresses… that I wrote down (while connected) using the ipconfig/all command. (Actually there are only two DNS addresses that Win2k provides – I left the third blank – all zeros)

Good ole AT&T doesn’t support routers so they were useless. Linksys support told me to upgrade my firmware, then call them back. I’m really skeptical of this solution working, which is why I’m posting here…

Anyone have any ideas? I would really prefer not to upgrade my firmware, unless I really have to.
March 25, 2002 6:12:59 PM

there should be a config screen on the linksys where you can release and renew the IP address. It might be called refresh or something. See if you can do this. If not, AT&T might be caching MAC addresses. What you then may have to do is release the address from your PC, then hook up the router and try to refresh.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
March 25, 2002 6:32:01 PM

try it without the information in there, just leave it all dhcp.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.
Related resources
March 25, 2002 7:53:28 PM

I didn't know a router would work with just dhcp...
March 25, 2002 7:56:45 PM

I didn't know a router would work with no addresses entered - and work just using dhcp...
March 25, 2002 8:17:31 PM

if you dont put in an address, it is getting an ip from dhcp, dhcp also asigns dns and gateway.

March 26, 2002 6:20:40 AM

On your Linksys router, have you clone your NIC's MAC Address. Go to Linksys configuration website by typing 192.168.1.1 . In this website, you will be able to release and renew your IP Address. DHCP should be automatically setup when you hookup your router. You can assign static IP Addresses also. That's pathetic that AT&T doesn't support router. No wonder people cancelled their services.

A burned software is not pirated software, it is shareware. :wink:
March 26, 2002 9:18:43 AM

Couple of things:

Cloning the MAC address might be necessary as a last resort, but if you try releasing from the PC and then hooking up the router it might not be. But by all means do it if it is necessary.

Also AFA broadband ISP support of routers, I'd wager that the majority are in the "unsupported" boat. They don't mind if you use them but they don't want their support staff tied up fixing users problems with them.

March 26, 2002 4:09:30 PM

I think they don't want you to share the internet connection. If you want a second pc to have internet connection, you have to pay for an additional IP Address. That's according to my ISP provider, I don't know what about the rest, but it's only $5 more.

March 26, 2002 5:49:01 PM

you're right but it depends on the ISP. Not sure who this guy is using, but a lot of info on that sort of thing is found at <A HREF="http://www.dslreports.com" target="_new">dslreports</A>

March 26, 2002 5:54:00 PM

oh, never mind. I just re-read the original post. He's using AT&T.

March 26, 2002 7:34:44 PM

Thanks for all the input...

One question though - what is cloning a MAC address...? The Linksys tech guy was going to have me try that, but my firmware version is too old - so he suggested upgrading it.

Sounds like it's broke, so I should fix it...
March 26, 2002 8:02:14 PM

a MAC address is a 48 bit hex number that is embedded on the LAN chip. Every network hardware device in the world has a unique one. So if they want to limit you to one device they will make a record of your MAC address and only allow that address to obtain an IP address.

To get around that the router has the ability to change it's own MAC address to anything you enter, thereby "cloning" the MAC address of the PC and fooling the ISP into thinking the PC is the one that is grabbing the IP address. Cool, huh?

March 26, 2002 9:51:51 PM

Hey jlanka
Are you Network+ or MCSE certified? You seem to have a very extensive knowledge about network and PC.

March 27, 2002 11:43:31 AM

actually I'm flattered but no, I don't have either one. I've just been "working with computers" (the standard answer when someone asks what I do for a living, along with "computer geek") for about 15 years and picked up all the knowledge on the job and at home hacking. I used to work dor Digital Equipment before it was bought by Compaq and got a lot of stuff from there. I still love the VAX.

Actually, I've thought of taking those cert classes just to have them on my resume. No job is secure these days.

March 27, 2002 3:32:55 PM

if you are serious about taking those exams i would highly recomend troytech study guides.

March 27, 2002 3:58:39 PM

troytech? Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out.

March 27, 2002 8:52:17 PM

Most companies out there jump on the certs bandwagon. All they're looking for is certificate(s) and experience is a second requirement. I know people who are MCSE certified and dont know crap about the network. They just study the book and pass the exame. Also there are some websites that you can get the lastest exame questions. I forgot which website it was. I would get some working experience first then study for the exame. That way you won't be lost.

!