Sign in with
Your question

Second hand laptops and MS Licensing

Last response: in Business Computing
August 3, 2012 10:53:31 AM

Hi,

I do IT for a brewery and all our pubs have a single PC. I'm considering purchasing a couple of basic second hand laptops from Ebay with XP installed, may be a basic dual core processor and 2GB RAM.

I intend to buy ones that already have Office installed (probably 2007).

I'll use these as backup to quickly swap them in if a PC goes down.

Can you see any problem with this when it comes to MS licensing. Should I make sure that the version of Office is OEM and Professional?

Thanks.

More about : hand laptops licensing

a c 223 D Laptop
August 17, 2012 4:15:26 PM

Almost any second hand laptop with Office had it installed illegally. And I would double check the Windows setup also. If you check craigslist people are selling Windows 7 setups with a full Office setup for $150. Just the software, if purchased legally would be $300.

The only way to check is to contact MS and see who owns the license key that was used.

If it's an OEM XP version, you can check if the key used was the one on the computer's sticker. You can use this program to get the key http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

You can use OpenOffice to avoid any issues with Office setups if you think you can get fined.
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2012 4:34:52 PM

Not sure I totally agree with Hang. If you look on the bottom of the laptop there should be a COA. Assuming there is you should be fine as you are now the owner of the laptop and have the right to use windows. As long as the version matches and using jellybean the code does as well, there is nothing illegal that I know of.

I would be weary of office as that's a different issue. Open office should fix that issue however.
!