city fido vs $40 plan

I see that the cityfido for $45 includes the system "fee" of $6.95.

Currently am on the 400/$400 plus the $6.95.

Is there any reason not to switch from a 400 minute account to an unlimited
account for virtually the same monthly charge?

typo its 400/$40.00 !!!!

Joel Robinson wrote:
> Is there any reason not to switch from a 400 minute account to an unlimited
> account for virtually the same monthly charge?

Switching from the 400/$47 fee to the 5000/$45 fee will remove you ability to
roam "freely" in Canada as every minute outside your home city's local calling
area will be billed at $0.20 per minute. So if you travel a lot to the
outskirts of the city or to other cities, then you will have to pay those
extra airtime minutes that won't come out of your 5000 minute bank. On the $47
dollar plan, those minutes are usable everywhere in Canada.

Also, the term "unlimited" is used loosely since it is called at 5000 minutes
for the month. (it is for practical purposes unlimited, but legally isn't).

I believe the 5000 minute cap has been lifted - based on an article in
the Vancouver Sun.

Fido spokesman was quoted in a Vancouver newspaper as saying that for
CityFido they already used the 5000 min cap as a soft cap - not usually
enforced, but available if somebody was abusing the system, but that
they had removed it.

I am going by memory, sorry, I did not keep a copy.

Andrew

AndrewH wrote:
> Fido spokesman was quoted in a Vancouver newspaper as saying that for
> CityFido they already used the 5000 min cap as a soft cap - not usually
> enforced, but available if somebody was abusing the system, but that
> they had removed it.

A month or two ago. FIDO sent a pamphlet with its bills detailing exactly what
its "unlimited" plans really meant. I have not received anything on written
form to advise this had changed.

Whether Fido actually enforces those limits or not is a different question.
Fact is that if the fine print in the contract says there is a limit of 5000
minutes with undetermined action if you exceed them, you should not plan on
using more than 5000 minutes, especially since you don't know what Fido would
do (if it does something).

In reality though, 5000 minutes is a lot of airtime so normal people wouldn't
normally exceed that limit. But if you have special needs, then you should
not be deceived by the "unlimited" woprd sicne it is in fact limited to 5000 minutes.

The softcap is now 10,000 minutes per month on CityFido in Vancouver &
Toronto.

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
> AndrewH wrote:
> > Fido spokesman was quoted in a Vancouver newspaper as saying that for
> > CityFido they already used the 5000 min cap as a soft cap - not usually
> > enforced, but available if somebody was abusing the system, but that
> > they had removed it.
>
> A month or two ago. FIDO sent a pamphlet with its bills detailing exactly
what
> its "unlimited" plans really meant. I have not received anything on
written
> form to advise this had changed.
>
> Whether Fido actually enforces those limits or not is a different
question.
> Fact is that if the fine print in the contract says there is a limit of
5000
> minutes with undetermined action if you exceed them, you should not plan
on
> using more than 5000 minutes, especially since you don't know what Fido
would
> do (if it does something).
>
> In reality though, 5000 minutes is a lot of airtime so normal people
wouldn't
> normally exceed that limit. But if you have special needs, then you
should
> not be deceived by the "unlimited" woprd sicne it is in fact limited to
5000 minutes.

Jonathan

In reality no normal person has anything to worry about. It would actually
be very hard to exceed 5000 minutes, unless you were usuing it as your
primary buisness phone, which you shouldn't be doing anyway.

5000 minutes per month allows you to make 16 ten minute phone calls every
day. Or 8 twenty minute phone calls. Or 30 five minute phone calls. or 75
two minute calls. It gives you more than 160 minutes for every day of the
month. Some people might talk on the phone for 2 hours and 40 minutes a day
on a few days out of the month, but the chnaces of doing that every single
day? Some days a person might only use their phone for five minutes.

If the cap has indeed been doubled to 10,000, then all the better. That's
over five hours a day of talk time folks!

As a final note, I think that if a person did exceed the so called
"soft-cap" on month out of five, Fido would most likely not take any action
at all.

Chopz wrote:

> The softcap is now 10,000 minutes per month on CityFido in Vancouver &
> Toronto.

How is this information being disseminated ? Are they also increasing the
"unlimited" long distance in certain packages such as fido-to-fido which had
been set to 2500 minutes ?

I find it odd that they would have gone through the trouble of sending
pamphlets to all customers detailing those limits and then raise such limits
not long after, especially since it changes nothing to the fact that a
customer still has no idea on what sort of "appropriate" actions Fido takes
when a customer exceeds said limit.

Yes, I know that Fido does not currently strictly enforce those limits, but
that could change tomorrow if they decided to. So customers have to be weary
of such schemes.

Even at 5000 minutes, it is still a very good deal.

Fido use to pride itself about its simple and honest plans. (back in the early
days). But now, they are just as guilty as the others. Advertising a $20 plan
that really costs $26.95 is dishonest in my opinion. Advertising "unlimited"
when there are limits (soft or not) is also dishonest. I guess when your
prices and tactics arte no longer so different from your competitors, you also
have to resort to advertising tricks to attract customers. back in the good
old days of a baby Fido, it had clear and undeniable advantages and it didn't
need any tricks to convince customers, it just used "cute and catchy"
advertising and no need to use tricky stuff like "unlimted".

The "hidden" $6.95 is especially bad because now , some Fido plans include
that fee and others don't. So it makes it harder to compare the plans to see
which one fits you better.

> Chopz wrote:
> >
> > The softcap is now 10,000 minutes per month on CityFido in Vancouver &
> > Toronto.
>
> How is this information being disseminated ? Are they also increasing the
> "unlimited" long distance in certain packages such as fido-to-fido which
had
> been set to 2500 minutes ?
>
> I find it odd that they would have gone through the trouble of sending
> pamphlets to all customers detailing those limits and then raise such
limits
> not long after, especially since it changes nothing to the fact that a
> customer still has no idea on what sort of "appropriate" actions Fido
takes
> when a customer exceeds said limit.
>
> Yes, I know that Fido does not currently strictly enforce those limits,
but
> that could change tomorrow if they decided to. So customers have to be
weary
> of such schemes.
>
> Even at 5000 minutes, it is still a very good deal.
>
> Fido use to pride itself about its simple and honest plans. (back in the
early
> days). But now, they are just as guilty as the others. Advertising a $20
plan
> that really costs $26.95 is dishonest in my opinion. Advertising
"unlimited"
> when there are limits (soft or not) is also dishonest. I guess when your
> prices and tactics arte no longer so different from your competitors, you
also
> have to resort to advertising tricks to attract customers. back in the
good
> old days of a baby Fido, it had clear and undeniable advantages and it
didn't
> need any tricks to convince customers, it just used "cute and catchy"
> advertising and no need to use tricky stuff like "unlimted".
>

> The "hidden" $6.95 is especially bad because now , some Fido plans include
> that fee and others don't. So it makes it harder to compare the plans to
see
> which one fits you better.

You want bad, try Rogers Cable Internet. They have a bandwidth limit
that gets you account suspended. What's the limit? It depends on your area,
the time of day, how many fish you throw at the moon and the size of the
423rd leaf to grow on the tree in your front yard.... well, maybe not those
last too. The point is you will never be told the limit, you'll only know
you've breached the limit when they suspend you account. Makes Fido's
"unlimited" situation far less imposing...

Come on, the guy is on 400/400 now so the 5000 minutes is not a criteria for
him. If he use almost all his minutes in the local zone, is better to him
to change plan.

Blandine Bigard wrote:

> Come on, the guy is on 400/400 now so the 5000 minutes is not a criteria for
> him. If he use almost all his minutes in the local zone, is better to him
> to change plan.

Well, he asked for the differences.

The cityfido can't be beaten in the per minute charge compared to the 400/$47
plan. But if you travel a lot in canada, then it can make a difference.

As has been said many times, each individual must look at his/her/its personal
use of a mobile phone to see what plan best fits him.

repatch wrote:
> You want bad, try Rogers Cable Internet. They have a bandwidth limit
> that gets you account suspended. What's the limit? It depends on your area,
> the time of day, how many fish you throw at the moon and the size of the
> 423rd leaf to grow on the tree in your front yard.... well, maybe not those
> last too. The point is you will never be told the limit, you'll only know
> you've breached the limit when they suspend you account. Makes Fido's
> "unlimited" situation far less imposing...

Agreed. Roger's virtual caps are a PR nightmare. Assuming Rogers has brains,
it must have been designed to get rid of customers who hog the line and this
negatively impact the neighbourhood. They may have figured it is cheaper to
lose a couple customers per neighbourhood compared to splitting cells to
increase capacity in so many neighbouhoods.

However, most people hold Fido to much higher standards than Rogers which is
almost as low as Videotron.

If Fido changes the caps at will, then it isn't all that great either. In the
case of Rogers, they probably always had the fine print in their service
agreement that allowed them to take "appropriate" action in case of abuse.
Carte Blanche. So some day, they decide to make use of that fine print and
piss off certain customers by cutting them off "randomly".

As long as Fido keeps its "carte blanche" inactive, then it is fine. But they,
like Rogers, have the right to impose "random sanctions" anytime they want.
That is the danger of such vague fine print.

Consider that if CityFido takes off in a big way and Fido has capacity
problems in Toronto, it will be *very* tempted to dissuade users of a lot of
minutes, the same way Rogers now tries to get rid of users who use a lot of bandwidth.

Consider this: right now, Fido is still Fido and is being a nice puppy and
just monitors any usage above 5000 (or whatever the limit is this week), with
perhaps a gentle warning to those who clearly abuse. But when Telus takes
over, do you really think they will continue to be so nice ? They'll see the
vague fine print and realise that they could increase revenues or decrease
load on the network and act like Rogers did on cable.