forgot password!!!!!!!!

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
hey, just put together my old system for my daughter-------and here's the funnnnnnny part--------it has win xp on it , but I forgot the rotten password!!!( my security so my son's couldn't access my system---is coming back to bite me in the a**)anyway, is there any way other than re-installing xp to get around this???

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305" target="_new">http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305</A>

it looks like Microsoft has no solution unless you had made a password recovery disk or you can login as administrator, however I have heard of third party programs that may be able to do this but as of right now I can't remember sorry.

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
tried one of the suggestions in your link, however when i'm in safe mode---i have no mouse capabilities????!!! or it would let me log on as admin.!!!!and rectify the situation. any ideas?? (thx for the link though!!! didn't think anyone would post back that quik!!)

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
you don't need a a mouse. Just use the tab key to go between the login box fields.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

nach

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
however when i'm in safe mode---i have no mouse capabilities????!!! or it would let me log on as admin.!!!!and rectify the situation. any ideas?? (thx for the link though!!! didn't think anyone would post back that quik!!)
Excusesee me but safe mode will allow you to get the non-password crtical *.doc, *.xls, and etc, say put them on another partition or drive letter.

Then reinstall XP over top to restore your accounts.

Or just reinstall XP over the old one to get the account back.

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
You may or may not have tried this but if you have an Administrator account and didnt put a password in during install, you should be able to press alt-ctrl-del at the logon screen and bring up the admin log-on field. type user name as administrator and leave password field blank if that fails, you may have to reinstall windows

Give a lazy man an easy job and he'll find an easier way of doing it.

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
hey, thx guys, for all your suggs, will give them a try !!!!

IT WORKED!!!!, by using your guy's suggs, i managed to actually delete my personal acct, thus letting me in!!!!! thank you again!!!!!!!!!

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by toester on 07/11/03 09:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
:smile: I would hate to be in that position but anyway good onya man :wink:

or

Try this:
start/run/<font color=red>control userpasswords2</font color=red>

But you will still need admin' rights to use it effectively.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty35 on 07/12/03 07:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
hey, that's actually what i used;after "tabbing" into administrator.......took a few shots to get there, but it did work( using an old keyboard---u know the ones that go up to f30 !!!!----not kidding either) and that's all that counts.

can always count on the users of this forum for help.................again, thanks!!!!!