TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2089" target="_new">Click!</A>

Wow! Very impressive product, a very good upgrade for TV Wonder owner and a must-have for multimedia center based setup.

I can't wait to see the cost of the X800PRO AIW HDTV... This card will probably cost too much for me, but it will be quite impressive! :smile:

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Didnt the article say something about how an AIW version wasnt viable since the electronic noise produced by an onboard solution would interfere with the HDTV tuner

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
But ATI will work it out! We will surely see AIW HDTV sooner than we expect. ATI clearly lead the "entertainment center" market and they don't want to give it up. AIW are high-margins products, many TV/movie fans will buy AIW HDTV. Think about that... A 499$ card + a 199$ tuner on it! They will probably be sold around 600$ at least.

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Well, id be willing to bet they will rely on the separate HDTV tuner for a long while. The PCB on the X800 series doesnt look like it would support that big old tuner block, plus it gets so hot with the reference cooler, how would they integrate both the tuner and an effective cooling solution?

I agree, $600 graphics cards dont usually sell too well to home end users.

P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
So, we might presume that the first X series AIW HDTV may be an X600!

--

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Indeed

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
*Ominous Voice* "Coming in 2005 - the x880 AIW HD. Powered by ATI's new ultrablock technology..... and 1 human soul"

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way around it. But I also think that work around may be a dongle type extension or seperating an AIW to be modular.

PErsonally I've learned my lesson, and a seperate tuner card makes more sense to me now since I don't wantto pay the premium each time for another AIW when I can get a good Tuner/AV card and then add whatever graphics card I want over the lifespan of that tuner technology.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1 word: Clunky.

I had this wild idea for nVidia: make all their cards with VIVO and add a tuner control interface to all cards, then put the tuner in a box that can be mounted internally (in a bay) or externally. They could even add Soundstorm to that box if they wanted.

ATI (or anyone else) should combine the cable connections into one interface and separate the signals at the tuner. They should also combine the viewers as simply as a file player box.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>