Correct way to Reformat hard drive with xp

Hi, my girlfriend is thinking of reformatting her hard drive to clean up a
lot of things she has going on with it. What is the correct way to reformat
it and is there anything special she needs to do to reinstall xp on it ? She
has the cd and product code to it.

thanks
Ed
2 answers Last reply
More about correct reformat hard drive

    Ed wrote:
    > Hi, my girlfriend is thinking of reformatting her hard drive to clean
    > up a lot of things she has going on with it. What is the correct way
    > to reformat it and is there anything special she needs to do to
    > reinstall xp on it ? She has the cd and product code to it.
    >
    > thanks
    > Ed

    Here is one resource
    See Paul Thurrott's website on guide for XP clean install
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

    But then there is a caveat, make sure your XP CD is at Service Pack 2. Otherwise, make a slipstream CD of XP with SP2.
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Ed" wrote:

    | Hi, my girlfriend is thinking of reformatting her hard drive to clean up a
    | lot of things she has going on with it. What is the correct way to reformat
    | it and is there anything special she needs to do to reinstall xp on it ? She
    | has the cd and product code to it.
    |
    | thanks
    | Ed

Windows XP Microsoft Hard Drives