Which if any ISP to try?

jerome

Distinguished
May 17, 2002

Well... just got our new 8400 and of course it comes with I believe
three ISP's to choose from AOL, Earthlink and NetZero?

We used to have RoadRunner on old PC but rates there got too high
for the little time we use the internet (recipe searches, vacation
planning, etc...) so we canceled. We used to average 2 to 4 hours per
week surfing.

Any recommendations on which if any of the 3 ISP's to try out based on
our limited usage?

Also how do you go about deleting these from the PC if we decide
to not use any of them...

Thanks!

Jerome wrote:

> Well... just got our new 8400 and of course it comes with I believe
> three ISP's to choose from AOL, Earthlink and NetZero?
>
> We used to have RoadRunner on old PC but rates there got too high
> for the little time we use the internet (recipe searches, vacation
> planning, etc...) so we canceled. We used to average 2 to 4 hours per
> week surfing.
>
> Any recommendations on which if any of the 3 ISP's to try out based on
> our limited usage?
>
> Also how do you go about deleting these from the PC if we decide
> to not use any of them...
>
> Thanks!

Personally I would stay away from AOhelL, from the three I would chose
Netzero or perhaps one not on your list, Netscape Internet Service,
the link is:

http://www.getnetscape.com/default.jsp?promo=NS_2_5_7_2004_11_69

Of course this also depends on your location as to weather it would be a
long distance to the ISP you choose.

--
Danny Kile
Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+

Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
Your cooperation is appreciated.

Danny Kile wrote:

> Jerome wrote:
>
> > Well... just got our new 8400 and of course it comes with I believe
> > three ISP's to choose from AOL, Earthlink and NetZero?
> >
> > We used to have RoadRunner on old PC but rates there got too high
> > for the little time we use the internet (recipe searches, vacation
> > planning, etc...) so we canceled. We used to average 2 to 4 hours per
> > week surfing.
> >
> > Any recommendations on which if any of the 3 ISP's to try out based on
> > our limited usage?
> >
> > Also how do you go about deleting these from the PC if we decide
> > to not use any of them...
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Personally I would stay away from AOhelL, from the three I would chose
> Netzero or perhaps one not on your list, Netscape Internet Service,
> the link is:
>
> http://www.getnetscape.com/default.jsp?promo=NS_2_5_7_2004_11_69
>
> Of course this also depends on your location as to weather it would be a
> long distance to the ISP you choose.

If you value high-speed, you're *really* gonna miss cable. It's too bad
that prices, rather than dropping, have gone up.

Notan

Danny Kile wrote:

> Jerome wrote:
>
>> Well... just got our new 8400 and of course it comes with I believe
>> three ISP's to choose from AOL, Earthlink and NetZero?
>>
>> We used to have RoadRunner on old PC but rates there got too high
>> for the little time we use the internet (recipe searches, vacation
>> planning, etc...) so we canceled. We used to average 2 to 4 hours per
>> week surfing.
>>
>> Any recommendations on which if any of the 3 ISP's to try out based on
>> our limited usage?
>>
>> Also how do you go about deleting these from the PC if we decide
>> to not use any of them...
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Personally I would stay away from AOhelL, from the three I would chose
> Netzero or perhaps one not on your list, Netscape Internet Service,
> the link is:
>
> http://www.getnetscape.com/default.jsp?promo=NS_2_5_7_2004_11_69
>
> Of course this also depends on your location as to weather it would be
> a long distance to the ISP you choose.

I'd stay away from Earthlink. Several years ago, Earthlink bought out
the ISP I was using at work (usit.net I believe). Suddenly, all my work
emails stopped working. Earthlink was blocking port 25, but neglected to
tell me.

I questioned them about it, and after several hours back and forth on
the phone, confirmed that they were blocking the port.

When asked why they didn't inform me, got no useful response.

I asked if they would unblock the port. NO.

I asked about loss of service due to their blocking. Basically told that
was just tough.

Switched ISP's immediately.

DELETE OLD ISP-Add/Remove.

Also, I just dumped NET ZERO.!! Earthlink and MSN are too expensive.
I get 150 hours for 16.95 at AT&T and they are GREAt for tech help,
etc!

Mike
mppg one at att dot net

"Jerome" <jerome_l_horowitz@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Well... just got our new 8400 and of course it comes with I believe
>three ISP's to choose from AOL, Earthlink and NetZero?

You might also consider, since you apparently are comfortable
with using dial-up, checking out local and or regional ISPs.
With most you don't get, and therefore have to pay for,
"handholding", you aren't "encouraged" to use software you don't
need/want, etc. You get basic internet connectivity, and roll
your own on services/software beyond the ISP supplied email
account(s) and, perhaps, a Usenet news server.

>Also how do you go about deleting these from the PC if we decide
>to not use any of them...

Last time I got a Dell, all of that stuff was just links to
vendor [AOL or whomever] websites where you could sign
up/download whatever package they wanted to foist on you. Easy
matter to check the properties of the desktop shortcut to find
out where the stuff was stashed, and delete the shortcut link
from that directory, as well as the desktop.

Anything actually installed, IME with Dell, has always been done
such that the installation appears on the Windows Add/Remove
Programs menu.
--
OJ III

Are you close enough to the telephone company central office to consider DSL?
Verizon offers DSL for $29.95/mo on a promo... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:

> Are you close enough to the telephone company central office to consider DSL?
> Verizon offers DSL for $29.95/mo on a promo... Ben Myers
>
> On 20 Feb 2005 10:18:22 -0800, "Jerome" <jerome_l_horowitz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Well... just got our new 8400 and of course it comes with I believe
>>three ISP's to choose from AOL, Earthlink and NetZero?
>>
>>We used to have RoadRunner on old PC but rates there got too high
>>for the little time we use the internet (recipe searches, vacation
>>planning, etc...) so we canceled. We used to average 2 to 4 hours per
>>week surfing.
>>
>>Any recommendations on which if any of the 3 ISP's to try out based on
>>our limited usage?
>>
>>Also how do you go about deleting these from the PC if we decide
>>to not use any of them...
>>
>>Thanks!

I do not know if you are closu to Bellsouth, but there price is pertty
low for DSL Lite.

https://fastaccess.com/content/consumer/products.jsp

--

"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

> I'd stay away from Earthlink. Several years ago, Earthlink bought
> out the ISP I was using at work (usit.net I believe). Suddenly, all
> my work emails stopped working. Earthlink was blocking port 25, but
> neglected to tell me.

I also tried Earthlink several years ago and had problems, but when I
got my latest computer I decided to use the 6 months free Earthlink
and see if anything has changed. 1st, the problem you had is no longer
an issue because you can use port 587 from anywhere. I am getting
just a fraction of the spam I was getting with Att WorldNet and the
surprising thing is how fast there newsgroup service has become in the
past couple of months.

That said, I'm switching to DSL in a couple of months when the freebie
runs out and that may or may not be with Earthlink.

Tom J

"Danny Kile" <kiledanny@NOSPAMnetscape.net> wrote in message

> I do not know if you are closu to Bellsouth, but there price is
> pertty low for DSL Lite.
>
> https://fastaccess.com/content/consumer/products.jsp

Only if you take the bloated phone package along with it. It's
expensive for the service offered!!

Tom J

I'm a network engineer. I don't know Earthlink or NetZero too well, but when
I taught at a large computer school, all my students had trouble with AOL.
It takes over parts of your OS that it shouldn't and is hard as hell to get
off the machine if you want to switch to a different ISP. One friend of mine
had trouble with NetZero, but it wasn't major and I don't remember all the
facts.
"Jerome" <jerome_l_horowitz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Well... just got our new 8400 and of course it comes with I believe
> three ISP's to choose from AOL, Earthlink and NetZero?
>
> We used to have RoadRunner on old PC but rates there got too high
> for the little time we use the internet (recipe searches, vacation
> planning, etc...) so we canceled. We used to average 2 to 4 hours per
> week surfing.
>
> Any recommendations on which if any of the 3 ISP's to try out based on
> our limited usage?
>
> Also how do you go about deleting these from the PC if we decide
> to not use any of them...
>
> Thanks!

I'd stay away from Aol and Earthlink. Both are way too intrusive. Earthlink
bought and ruined my ISP (Mindspring). I believe Dell will also give 3
months of credit on DSL in some markets. That's what we did. Much better
than dial up!
Andy

"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> Danny Kile wrote:
>
>> Jerome wrote:
>>
>>> Well... just got our new 8400 and of course it comes with I believe
>>> three ISP's to choose from AOL, Earthlink and NetZero?
>>>
>>> We used to have RoadRunner on old PC but rates there got too high
>>> for the little time we use the internet (recipe searches, vacation
>>> planning, etc...) so we canceled. We used to average 2 to 4 hours per
>>> week surfing.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations on which if any of the 3 ISP's to try out based on
>>> our limited usage?
>>>
>>> Also how do you go about deleting these from the PC if we decide
>>> to not use any of them...
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> Personally I would stay away from AOhelL, from the three I would chose
>> Netzero or perhaps one not on your list, Netscape Internet Service,
>> the link is:
>>
>> http://www.getnetscape.com/default.jsp?promo=NS_2_5_7_2004_11_69
>>
>> Of course this also depends on your location as to weather it would be a
>> long distance to the ISP you choose.
>>

> I'd stay away from Earthlink. Several years ago, Earthlink bought out the
> ISP I was using at work (usit.net I believe). Suddenly, all my work emails
> stopped working. Earthlink was blocking port 25, but neglected to tell me.
>
> I questioned them about it, and after several hours back and forth on the
> phone, confirmed that they were blocking the port.
>
> When asked why they didn't inform me, got no useful response.
>
> I asked if they would unblock the port. NO.
>
> I asked about loss of service due to their blocking. Basically told that
> was just tough.
>
> Switched ISP's immediately.

TRENDING THREADS