Which OS for ASUS A7N8X DLX?

voelser

Distinguished
May 12, 2003
I've just put together a new pc with an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mb and are just about to install an OS. I have been using Win 2000 up until now and liking it, but I heard that Win2K doesn't properly support things like USB 2, AGP 8X, SATA, etc. and that for those things to run optimal Windows XP Pro would be a better choice. I loathe WinXP, so I'd love to be able to avoid using it. So if anyone could let me know if there is any thruth in the above..I'm hoping for good news..

Thanks in advance...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
why do you loathe XP? I love it. It's got the best device support I've ever seen. You can turn off all the eye candy and make it look exactly like 2K.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

voelser

Distinguished
May 12, 2003
you are right I loathe all the eye candy and I do know you can turn it all off. However I also find that the general consensus is that 2K is more stable than XP...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I've not found that to be the case. Thats one persons experience, of course. But I've seen a LOT of XP and 2K installations.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

voelser

Distinguished
May 12, 2003
fair enough, but back to my original question: that Win2K doesn't support things like USB 2, AGP 8X, SATA, etc. properly and that for those things to run optimal Windows XP Pro?

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
No its NOT true!!!
W2k can do EVERYTHING XP can do - And MUCH MORE!
Its understandable to loathe XP, many think XP's the M$ Pay-to-Boot Client PLAN!! ( or at least the Simple, Cripple version of a good OS)

AS for stuff ya mentioned...
USB 2.0 drivers for Windows* 2000 are only available from Microsoft via their Windows Update. To obtain the USB 2.0 driver for Windows 2000 go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. At this site, Windows Update scans your computer and provides you with a selection of updates available for your computer

For SATA devices - just seearch 'SATA Windows 2000" - Lots out there!

RADEON 9700 PRO AGP-8X: OS supported drivers Win 2000/XP

Anything Xp can do W2K can do BETTER!!!

TRENDING THREADS