DOS errors and older programs

damon

Whenever I try to run some older programs on XP, I get this error message:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application."

I know this has something to do with DOS and XP, but this only started
happening recently. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? And don't just
tell me to do a system scan/fix, I tried that and it fixed nothing.

Thanks,

Damon

Damon wrote:
> Whenever I try to run some older programs on XP, I get this error
> message:
>
> "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
> terminate the application."
>
> I know this has something to do with DOS and XP, but this only started
> happening recently. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? And
> don't just tell me to do a system scan/fix, I tried that and it fixed
> nothing.

Go here and go through the resolution:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767

Too complicated? You could download the file "XP_FIX.EXE" from:
http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/
Run it..
See if that fixes it for you.

--
<- Shenan ->

"Damon" <Damon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I try to run some older programs on XP, I get this error message:
>
> "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
> terminate the application."
>
> I know this has something to do with DOS and XP, but this only started
> happening recently. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? And don't
> just
> tell me to do a system scan/fix, I tried that and it fixed nothing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Damon

DOS has nothing to do with XP. Get newer programs. Or get an old computer
and load DOS 6.22 on it.