System Restore Won't Open

When I attemp to open System Restore, it won't open. I get the popup window
that says "System Restore Application has encountered a problem and needs to
close."

Also, same results from running from CMD line.

Running Win XP SP2.

CharlieC wrote:
> When I attemp to open System Restore, it won't open. I get the popup
> window that says "System Restore Application has encountered a
> problem and needs to close."
>
> Also, same results from running from CMD line.
>
> Running Win XP SP2.

Try running it in Safe Mode. Restart the system, and start tapping F8 Function key when it is re-starting.

Be sure you had not previously disabled System Restore. Also, look closely at FREE space on the disk drives.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"CharlieC" <CharlieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I attemp to open System Restore, it won't open. I get the popup
> window
> that says "System Restore Application has encountered a problem and
> needs to
> close."
>
> Also, same results from running from CMD line.
>
> Running Win XP SP2.

You can try to reinstall System Restore. To do this, simply type the
following in the Start>Run box

inf

The Inf folder should appear, then locate the "sr.inf" file. Highlight
the "sr.inf" file and right-click and select Install.

--
William

Hi Charlie,

Is there more information contained in the error message?
Such as a reference to any file names.

Also check the Event Viewer System Restore errors?

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.

Click the Source tab to sort by name, look for "sr" and "srservice."

Double-click each of these services, and evaluate the event
description for any indication of the cause of the problem. Make note
of the Description, EventID and Source of these Event Properties that
show an Error or Warning and post it here.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

CharlieC wrote:
> When I attemp to open System Restore, it won't open. I
> get the popup window that says "System Restore
> Application has encountered a problem and needs to close."
>
> Also, same results from running from CMD line.
>
> Running Win XP SP2.

Reinstalled as suggested by WTC.

Thanks to all for the help.

> Reinstalled as suggested by WTC.