Changing from a Ti 4200

Ciaran

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004
What would be a good change from a Ti 4200 128MBs 8x? It's a killer card for the price, but the lack of DirectX 9 means I have to change. (The Sims 2)

So I'm looking for something that performs around the same but with full DX9 compatibility.

What should I get?

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Radeon 9600pro/XT should be found at the same price range.

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/celebgay.html" target="_new">click here now!!</A>

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/epilepsyr.shtml" target="_new">DON'T CLICK HERE!!</A>

Yeah if it's it's for the SIMS2 I would think that an inexpensive R9600Pro, R9600non-pro or FX5700 would be more than capable of doing the job. Of course the SEs are as always to be avoided, not that they would really struggle with something like the SIMS.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most DX9 games work fine on DX8 cards when used with modern drivers, are you sure you need a new card? Using DX8 hardware with DX9 software normallyy means some of the special effects won't be rendered, nothing more.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
My Ti4200 64 MB runs most games pretty well. I can play FarCry and UT2004 at 1024*768 with AA/AF off. Granted I don't get all the effects, but I am just waiting till GeForce 6800 becomes more available.

Athlon XP 2400+
GeForce 4 Ti 4200
Corsair 512 MB DDR400
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Western Digital 80 GB
Seagate 20 GB

Ciaran

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004
Nothing too heavy or graphically straining. Unreal Tournament, Half-Life & Counter-Strike, AOE II and The Sims.

Ciaran

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004
As far as I know, the Ti range uses updated GeForce 2 technology.

But, come to think of it, I have an old ATI Rage Pro 8MB that could handle DirectX 9's tests.

I'd rather upgrade because if DX9 goes wrong, it means that I'd have to wipe my system, and backing up over 10GBs of data to a partition is a real pain. And it's kinda like cheating death. You can only do it for so long.

----------------
E-Mail from MSI Technical Support:

"The Ti4200 are used the older chipset. They only support Directx 8. You still can use in the Directx 9, but can't use the future Directx 9 provided. All the FX's graphic card supports Directx 9"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, it's the MX series that uses GeForce2 technology, all the way from the GF2-MX200 to the GF4-MX440.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>