No Dell 4700!!

Well I guess it's back to square one again! I spent hours of my time
researching the Dell 4700 and so many of you were so helpful. However,
my chance, I happened to find the CNET webpage where I could read
comments from people who had purchased the unit and used Dell. The
comments about the unit were very negative due to problems they state
Dell has not worked out yet. What upset me the most was practically
everyone was yelling in caps how Dell's Customer Service stinks and they
would never buy from Dell again. They were warning others not to buy
from Dell.

I was very pro-Dell but I was uneducated and had no knowledge about
their lack of Customer Service. I think this is so sad that a company
would put their customers through what Dell seems to be doing to their
customers. Maybe I will just try E-Machines. I can get them locally
and have someone locally to help when problems occur. Thank you all for
your help but no thanks to Dell for what they seem to be doing to their
customers.

Bea

Most of the complaints are because it is hard to understand the techs
from India. In the last two years I purchased an Inspiron 8200,
Dimension 8300, both refurbished, a new Inspiron XPS, UltraSharp 2000 FP
monitor and 17" flat panel monitor. I have not needed to call support
regarding any problems. If I would have a hardware problem, I would
email support for help. This newsgroup and the Dell Talk forum are
great to get answers that you may need.

My nephew just got a Dimension 8400 off Ebay and my assistant just
purchased Inspiron 8400. These also worked right out of the box with no
problems. That is the main reason I will continue to purchase Dells.

Joan

"Bea Xxxx" <bsmp59@webtv.net> wrote in message

What upset me the most was practically
> everyone was yelling in caps how Dell's Customer Service stinks and they
> would never buy from Dell again. They were warning others not to buy
> from Dell.

Fortunately for you, it sounds like you did your home work and dodged the
bullet. I won't scream in caps, but owning 3 Dell and watching their
Customer Service and Tech Support go down the toilet is very disheartening.
At this point in time, I wouldn't recommend Dell Home Computers to anyone.

> I was very pro-Dell but I was uneducated and had no knowledge about
> their lack of Customer Service.

This sounds like you're(unintentionally of course) describing "the Dellbots"

"Bea Xxxx" <bsmp59@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Well I guess it's back to square one again! I spent hours of my time
> researching the Dell 4700 and so many of you were so helpful. However,
> my chance, I happened to find the CNET webpage where I could read
> comments from people who had purchased the unit and used Dell. The
> comments about the unit were very negative due to problems they state
> Dell has not worked out yet. What upset me the most was practically
> everyone was yelling in caps how Dell's Customer Service stinks and they
> would never buy from Dell again. They were warning others not to buy
> from Dell.
>
> I was very pro-Dell but I was uneducated and had no knowledge about
> their lack of Customer Service. I think this is so sad that a company
> would put their customers through what Dell seems to be doing to their
> customers. Maybe I will just try E-Machines. I can get them locally
> and have someone locally to help when problems occur. Thank you all for
> your help but no thanks to Dell for what they seem to be doing to their
> customers.
>
> Bea

keith

Look out Bea, you will get the Dellbots upset here!
"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
> [...]

> my chance, I happened to find the CNET webpage where I could read
> comments from people who had purchased the unit and used Dell. The
> comments about the unit were very negative due to problems they state
> Dell has not worked out yet. What upset me the most was practically
> everyone was yelling in caps how Dell's Customer Service stinks and they
> would never buy from Dell again. They were warning others not to buy
> from Dell.
>
> I was very pro-Dell but I was uneducated and had no knowledge about
> their lack of Customer Service. I think this is so sad that a company
> would put their customers through what Dell seems to be doing to their
> customers. Maybe I will just try E-Machines. I can get them locally
> and have someone locally to help when problems occur. Thank you all for
> your help but no thanks to Dell for what they seem to be doing to their

Bea,

Not surprised that you found negatives posted about Dell support, especially
given the amount of business they're doing in recent years. I'd just advise
you to choose carefully whatever you buy. If you've got a local guy to
"handle" any support calls for your e-machine, then perhaps that's the way
to go.

I've purchased and set up (2) Dimension 4700's in the last month and both
have been nearly perfect; even to the point of no dead pixels on the 17" LCD
purchased with one of them. I personally wouldn't hesitate to recommend
them, as the people who ask usually find me for questions or problems and
I'm comfortable with that model.

If support is the deal-breaker for you, then spend plenty of money and
you'll likely be able to find a solution that works. Don't cheap out on the
system.

Good luck.

Stew

> I was very pro-Dell but I was uneducated and had no knowledge about
> their lack of Customer Service. I think this is so sad that a company
> would put their customers through what Dell seems to be doing to their
> customers. Maybe I will just try E-Machines. I can get them locally
> and have someone locally to help when problems occur. Thank you all for
> your help but no thanks to Dell for what they seem to be doing to their
> customers.
>
> Bea

Although many here will probably disagree with you, I can only agree with
you.
My experience is that the Dell machines were not bad. I've had a great
Dimension XPS-R350 for 6 years and have never had any problems with it.
Expensive at the time but worth every cent.

However, I now own an Inspiron 5150 which suffers from dust/CPU cooling
problems which is apparently due to bad airflow design (I have to use the
compressed air can regularly to remove dust) and my wife has a Dimension
8300 which has failed twice in 18 months (mainboard and power supply). These
things can happen but the number of calls you have to make here in Holland
to finally get them to understand the problem and do something about it is
just outrageous. I have finally managed to convince them that I need a new
power supply. I had to fax them an order form to get one. So I did. This is
2 weeks ago now, no power supply yet.

They run a television ad here which states that they have a "one call to
take care of everything" policy. On the first call I made, I was told to
call back the next day, and on that second call I was told to call another
department. And it's not just me, I hear these stories at the office all the
time.

Just my 2 cents.

Dennis

I wish some one would define "cheap". We spent nearly $9000 on three
Dimensions and still wound up getting "cheap" support.

> "Bea Xxxx" <bsmp59@webtv.net> wrote in message
> > Well I guess it's back to square one again! I spent hours of my time
> > researching the Dell 4700 and so many of you were so helpful. However,
> > my chance, I happened to find the CNET webpage where I could read
> > comments from people who had purchased the unit and used Dell. The
> > comments about the unit were very negative due to problems they state
> > Dell has not worked out yet. What upset me the most was practically
> > everyone was yelling in caps how Dell's Customer Service stinks and they
> > would never buy from Dell again. They were warning others not to buy
> > from Dell.
> >
> > I was very pro-Dell but I was uneducated and had no knowledge about
> > their lack of Customer Service. I think this is so sad that a company
> > would put their customers through what Dell seems to be doing to their
> > customers. Maybe I will just try E-Machines. I can get them locally
> > and have someone locally to help when problems occur. Thank you all for
> > your help but no thanks to Dell for what they seem to be doing to their
> > customers.
> >
> > Bea
> >

> Bea,
>
> Not surprised that you found negatives posted about Dell support,
especially
> given the amount of business they're doing in recent years. I'd just
advise
> you to choose carefully whatever you buy. If you've got a local guy to
> "handle" any support calls for your e-machine, then perhaps that's the way
> to go.
>
> I've purchased and set up (2) Dimension 4700's in the last month and both
> have been nearly perfect; even to the point of no dead pixels on the 17"
LCD
> purchased with one of them. I personally wouldn't hesitate to recommend
> them, as the people who ask usually find me for questions or problems and
> I'm comfortable with that model.
>
> If support is the deal-breaker for you, then spend plenty of money and
> you'll likely be able to find a solution that works. Don't cheap out on
the
> system.
>
> Good luck.
>

> Stew

Scrooge

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004

*I* am the definition of cheap!

$3000 for a computer is NOT cheap! (me thinks you got snookered!)

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I wish some one would define "cheap". We spent nearly $9000 on three
> Dimensions and still wound up getting "cheap" support.
>

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bea Xxxx" <bsmp59@webtv.net> wrote in message
> > > Well I guess it's back to square one again! I spent hours of my time
> > > researching the Dell 4700 and so many of you were so helpful.
However,
> > > my chance, I happened to find the CNET webpage where I could read
> > > comments from people who had purchased the unit and used Dell. The
> > > comments about the unit were very negative due to problems they state
> > > Dell has not worked out yet. What upset me the most was practically
> > > everyone was yelling in caps how Dell's Customer Service stinks and
they
> > > would never buy from Dell again. They were warning others not to buy
> > > from Dell.
> > >
> > > I was very pro-Dell but I was uneducated and had no knowledge about
> > > their lack of Customer Service. I think this is so sad that a company
> > > would put their customers through what Dell seems to be doing to their
> > > customers. Maybe I will just try E-Machines. I can get them locally
> > > and have someone locally to help when problems occur. Thank you all
for
> > > your help but no thanks to Dell for what they seem to be doing to
their
> > > customers.
> > >
> > > Bea
> > >

> > Bea,
> >
> > Not surprised that you found negatives posted about Dell support,
> especially
> > given the amount of business they're doing in recent years. I'd just
> advise
> > you to choose carefully whatever you buy. If you've got a local guy to
> > "handle" any support calls for your e-machine, then perhaps that's the
way
> > to go.
> >
> > I've purchased and set up (2) Dimension 4700's in the last month and
both
> > have been nearly perfect; even to the point of no dead pixels on the 17"
> LCD
> > purchased with one of them. I personally wouldn't hesitate to recommend
> > them, as the people who ask usually find me for questions or problems
and
> > I'm comfortable with that model.
> >
> > If support is the deal-breaker for you, then spend plenty of money and
> > you'll likely be able to find a solution that works. Don't cheap out on
> the
> > system.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >

> > Stew

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I wish some one would define "cheap". We spent nearly $9000 on three
> Dimensions and still wound up getting "cheap" support.

Irene,

I guess I would define 'cheap' (in Dell's case) at the moment as an entry
level system with no gold support. Though if memory serves me correctly,
you may have bought those systems before that support option was offered.
(?)

I never knew the option existed until I read of it on this very group.

About the best advice I could give to anyone who doesn't have a local tech
to work with but who requires a lot of support would be to buy a nice
mid-level system or better from small business, and max out the support
options.

Stew

"S.Lewis" wrote:

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I wish some one would define "cheap". We spent nearly $9000 on three
> > Dimensions and still wound up getting "cheap" support.
> >

> Irene,
>
> I guess I would define 'cheap' (in Dell's case) at the moment as an entry
> level system with no gold support. Though if memory serves me correctly,
> you may have bought those systems before that support option was offered.
> (?)
>
> I never knew the option existed until I read of it on this very group.
>
> About the best advice I could give to anyone who doesn't have a local tech
> to work with but who requires a lot of support would be to buy a nice
> mid-level system or better from small business, and max out the support
> options.

Prefaced with the fact that I have Gold Tech Support and no support
complaints:

There are alot of Home buyers, that prefer all the "Home stuff" loaded
onto their systems, that should have the option of paying for an upper
level support program.

Notan

Though if memory serves me correctly,
> you may have bought those systems before that support option was offered.
> (?)

This was true for two of the computers. Gold Service may not have even
existed at that time. At least, I hadn't heard of it.
Initially, I had very little in the way of complaints with the Tech Support
when we purchased the first two computers. How things have changed.
It was shortly after the purchase of the newest computer that Dell moved
their support overseas and that is when things really began to go "south"
As soon as I heard of the Gold Support, I immediately called Dell. I was
told that Gold Support was not available for Dimension computers that had
been purchased from the Home/Home Office sales group. To my knowledge, this
is still true.
Do you have any reference to the contrary?

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I wish some one would define "cheap". We spent nearly $9000 on three
> > Dimensions and still wound up getting "cheap" support.
> >

> Irene,
>
> I guess I would define 'cheap' (in Dell's case) at the moment as an entry
> level system with no gold support. Though if memory serves me correctly,
> you may have bought those systems before that support option was offered.
> (?)
>
> I never knew the option existed until I read of it on this very group.
>
> About the best advice I could give to anyone who doesn't have a local tech
> to work with but who requires a lot of support would be to buy a nice
> mid-level system or better from small business, and max out the support
> options.
>

> Stew

I don't disagree. Dell continues to "snooker" their Home/Home Office
customers and get away with it.

> There are alot of Home buyers, that prefer all the "Home stuff" loaded
> onto their systems, that should have the option of paying for an upper
> level support program.
>
> Notan

I totally agree. Like I responded to Stew, to the best of my knowledge, that
level of service is STILL not offered to the high end Home/Office customers.
Do you have any information to the contrary?

Irene wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>
> > There are alot of Home buyers, that prefer all the "Home stuff" loaded
> > onto their systems, that should have the option of paying for an upper
> > level support program.
> >
> > Notan
>
> I totally agree. Like I responded to Stew, to the best of my knowledge, that
> level of service is STILL not offered to the high end Home/Office customers.
> Do you have any information to the contrary?

As far as I know, it's still the same.

It's somewhat ironic... The people that need the most help with their
systems (i.e., "Home" buyers) are the only group where top-of-the-line
help is unavailable.

Notan

Sad, but all too true.

> Irene wrote:
> >
> > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > There are alot of Home buyers, that prefer all the "Home stuff" loaded
> > > onto their systems, that should have the option of paying for an upper
> > > level support program.
> > >
> > > Notan
> >
> > I totally agree. Like I responded to Stew, to the best of my knowledge,
that
> > level of service is STILL not offered to the high end Home/Office
customers.
> > Do you have any information to the contrary?
>
> As far as I know, it's still the same.
>
> It's somewhat ironic... The people that need the most help with their
> systems (i.e., "Home" buyers) are the only group where top-of-the-line
> help is unavailable.
>
> Notan

> Irene wrote:
>>
>> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > There are alot of Home buyers, that prefer all the "Home stuff" loaded
>> > onto their systems, that should have the option of paying for an upper
>> > level support program.
>> >
>> > Notan
>>
>> I totally agree. Like I responded to Stew, to the best of my knowledge,
>> that
>> level of service is STILL not offered to the high end Home/Office
>> customers.
>> Do you have any information to the contrary?
>
> As far as I know, it's still the same.
>
> It's somewhat ironic... The people that need the most help with their
> systems (i.e., "Home" buyers) are the only group where top-of-the-line
> help is unavailable.
>
> Notan

Which is why you'll see recommendations in this group to buy from the small
business site. Prices and warranty options are far better.

Stew

"S.Lewis" wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Irene wrote:
> >>
> >> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

> >> I totally agree. Like I responded to Stew, to the best of my knowledge,
> >> that
> >> level of service is STILL not offered to the high end Home/Office
> >> customers.
> >> Do you have any information to the contrary?
> >
> > As far as I know, it's still the same.
> >
> > It's somewhat ironic... The people that need the most help with their
> > systems (i.e., "Home" buyers) are the only group where top-of-the-line
> > help is unavailable.
> >
> > Notan
>
> Which is why you'll see recommendations in this group to buy from the small
> business site. Prices and warranty options are far better.

EXACTLY!!!

Notan

I thinks that says more about Dell, than most here would care to admit. And
that is that Dell doesn't give a flying flip about the Home/Home Office
consumer.

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
> Though if memory serves me correctly,
>> you may have bought those systems before that support option was offered.
>> (?)
>
> This was true for two of the computers. Gold Service may not have even
> existed at that time. At least, I hadn't heard of it.
> Initially, I had very little in the way of complaints with the Tech
> Support
> when we purchased the first two computers. How things have changed.
> It was shortly after the purchase of the newest computer that Dell moved
> their support overseas and that is when things really began to go "south"
> As soon as I heard of the Gold Support, I immediately called Dell. I was
> told that Gold Support was not available for Dimension computers that had
> been purchased from the Home/Home Office sales group. To my knowledge,
> this
> is still true.
> Do you have any reference to the contrary?

No, and in fact, what info. I've got about 'gold support' I found out here.

It seems plain contrary to me that level of support wouldn't be offered for
home users who're willing to pay for it. Either it's profitable or it isn't
at the price they're charging, so why not offer it to everyone?

Stew

"S.Lewis" wrote:

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Though if memory serves me correctly,
> >> you may have bought those systems before that support option was offered.
> >> (?)
> >
> > This was true for two of the computers. Gold Service may not have even
> > existed at that time. At least, I hadn't heard of it.
> > Initially, I had very little in the way of complaints with the Tech
> > Support
> > when we purchased the first two computers. How things have changed.
> > It was shortly after the purchase of the newest computer that Dell moved
> > their support overseas and that is when things really began to go "south"
> > As soon as I heard of the Gold Support, I immediately called Dell. I was
> > told that Gold Support was not available for Dimension computers that had
> > been purchased from the Home/Home Office sales group. To my knowledge,
> > this
> > is still true.
> > Do you have any reference to the contrary?
> >

> No, and in fact, what info. I've got about 'gold support' I found out here.
>
> It seems plain contrary to me that level of support wouldn't be offered for
> home users who're willing to pay for it. Either it's profitable or it isn't
> at the price they're charging, so why not offer it to everyone?

The Precision Workstation 470, for example:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G3AE2278A

Notan

dogface

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

<hack, chop, snip>

> It seems plain contrary to me that level of support wouldn't be offered
for
> home users who're willing to pay for it. Either it's profitable or it
isn't
> at the price they're charging, so why not offer it to everyone?
> Stew

hell this isn't hard to figure out! even if home buyers paid for it, there
would be so many of them calling with basic questions the gold techs would
be swamped. they'd have to hire silver techs, then bronze techs then drag
the tinfoil techs off the current support centers. pretty soon the gold
support would look like home support does now.

just my 2 cents of gold opinion.

"Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
> <hack, chop, snip>
>
>> It seems plain contrary to me that level of support wouldn't be offered
> for
>> home users who're willing to pay for it. Either it's profitable or it
> isn't
>> at the price they're charging, so why not offer it to everyone?
>> Stew
>
> hell this isn't hard to figure out! even if home buyers paid for it,
> there
> would be so many of them calling with basic questions the gold techs would
> be swamped. they'd have to hire silver techs, then bronze techs then drag
> the tinfoil techs off the current support centers. pretty soon the gold
> support would look like home support does now.
>
> just my 2 cents of gold opinion.

True enough, but if the freight is paid upfront by the newbie or home user
(and the charge for the warranty allows a profit), then one simply adds more
'gold' techs.

So, in effect, your point is that they only want to sell that support to
people who won't actually call (professionals or advanced users) or rarely
so?

Stew

dogface

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

> "Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
> > <hack, chop, snip>
> >
> >> It seems plain contrary to me that level of support wouldn't be offered
> > for
> >> home users who're willing to pay for it. Either it's profitable or it
> > isn't
> >> at the price they're charging, so why not offer it to everyone?
> >> Stew
> >
> > hell this isn't hard to figure out! even if home buyers paid for it,
> > there
> > would be so many of them calling with basic questions the gold techs
would
> > be swamped. they'd have to hire silver techs, then bronze techs then
drag
> > the tinfoil techs off the current support centers. pretty soon the gold
> > support would look like home support does now.
> >
> > just my 2 cents of gold opinion.
> >

> True enough, but if the freight is paid upfront by the newbie or home user
> (and the charge for the warranty allows a profit), then one simply adds
more
> 'gold' techs.
>
> So, in effect, your point is that they only want to sell that support to
> people who won't actually call (professionals or advanced users) or rarely
> so?
>

> Stew

BINGO! give that man a dog biscuit!!!

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
>> > <hack, chop, snip>

>> > for
>> > isn't
>> >
>> > hell this isn't hard to figure out! even if home buyers paid for it,
>> > there
>> > would be so many of them calling with basic questions the gold techs
> would
>> > be swamped. they'd have to hire silver techs, then bronze techs then
> drag
>> > the tinfoil techs off the current support centers. pretty soon the
>> > gold
>> > support would look like home support does now.
>> >
>> > just my 2 cents of gold opinion.
>> >

>> True enough, but if the freight is paid upfront by the newbie or home
>> user
>> (and the charge for the warranty allows a profit), then one simply adds
> more
>> 'gold' techs.
>>
>> So, in effect, your point is that they only want to sell that support to
>> people who won't actually call (professionals or advanced users) or
>> rarely
>> so?
>>

>> Stew
>
> BINGO! give that man a dog biscuit!!!