TELUS Mobility ranks No. 1 in North America in wireless in..

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

First Canadian wireless carrier to be ranked in top spot by N. Moore
Capital

SCARBOROUGH, ON, May 27 /CNW/ - TELUS Mobility is pleased to have been
selected as the number one wireless carrier in North America in the quarterly
ranking of the continent's major wireless carriers conducted by N. Moore
Capital, Ltd., an independent company based in New York that provides
financial analysis of the telecommunications industry.
"Nothing new to report here as TELUS Mobility continues to be one of the
best performing wireless operators in all of North America... finally breaking
to the top of the charts with a first place ranking," said Jeffery Hines,
president of N. Moore Capital, in the firm's May 2004 report. The full Q4 2004
ranking chart is attached at the bottom of this release.
N. Moore Capital's report analyzed the first-quarter 2004 performance of
the 20 major wireless carriers in North America based on five main metrics:
Subscriber growth, average revenue per subscriber, churn, free cash flow per
subscriber and cost of acquisition. TELUS Mobility ranked first in a tie with
its strategic partner Verizon Wireless.
"We're gratified by this independent recognition of TELUS Mobility's
industry-leading operational and financial performance," said George Cope, CEO
and president of TELUS Mobility. "Our unsurpassed national coverage,
exceptional client care and industry-leading products have kept us at the
forefront of the wireless business, not just at home but right across the
continent."

About TELUS Mobility
TELUS Mobility provides its more than 3.5 million clients across Canada
with a full suite of wireless voice, Internet and data services through its
PCS and Mike digital wireless networks. For more about TELUS Mobility, please
visit telusmobility.com.
TELUS is Canada's second largest telecommunications company with more
than Cdn$7 billion of annual revenue, more than 4.8 million network access
lines and more than 3.5 million wireless subscribers. The company provides
subscribers across Canada with a full range of telecommunications products and
services utilizing next-generation Internet-based technologies, including data
and voice services through TELUS Communications Inc. and wireless services
through TELUS Mobility.

<<
1Q04 North American wireless services update
N. Moore Capital, Ltd.

1Q04 Sub piFCF/
Rankings Growth COA ARPU Churn Sub Total
TELUS Mobility 8 3 15 2 3 31
Verizon Wireless 1 5 13 4 8 31
Nextel 12 20 1 5 1 39
Alamosa PCS 5 13 7 11 4 40
Western Wireless 10 12 11 6 2 41
Alltel 7 8 14 11 5 45
US Unwired 9 2 10 18 7 46
Cingular 4 1 12 13 16 46
Bell Mobility 6 15 18 1 9 49
Nextel Partners 16 16 2 3 13 50
Sprint PCS 14 10 3 15 12 54
AirGate PCS 17 11 5 16 6 55
T-Mobile (USA) 3 9 8 17 19 56
US Cellular 2 17 16 7 18 60
Triton PCS 13 18 9 10 11 61
Rogers 15 6 19 9 14 63
AT&T Wireless 20 7 4 20 15 66
Ubiquitel 11 14 6 18 17 66
Dobson 19 19 17 8 10 73
Microcell 18 4 20 14 20 76

(*) COA: Cost of acquisition per subscriber.
(*) ARPU: Average revenue per unit/subscriber per month.
(*) piFCF per subscriber: Pre-interest expense free-cash-flow per
subscriber per month.

For further information: Media contact: Mark Langton, (416) 684-3454,
mark.langton@telus.com; Investor relations contact: Robert Mitchell,
(416) 279-3219, robert.mitchell2@telus.com

http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archive/May2004/27/c8247.html
17 answers Last reply
More about telus mobility ranks north america wireless
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    Hehehehe, first place on the money front, and WHERE on the customer service
    front... :(

    "twtwwtin" <twtwwtin@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    its
    > PCS and Mike digital wireless networks. For more about TELUS Mobility,
    please
    > visit telusmobility.com.
    > TELUS is Canada's second largest telecommunications company with more
    > than Cdn$7 billion of annual revenue, more than 4.8 million network access
    > lines and more than 3.5 million wireless subscribers. The company provides
    > subscribers across Canada with a full range of telecommunications products
    and
    > services utilizing next-generation Internet-based technologies, including
    data
    > and voice services through TELUS Communications Inc. and wireless services
    > through TELUS Mobility.
    >
    > <<
    > 1Q04 North American wireless services update

    31
    > Verizon Wireless 1 5 13 4 8
    31
    > Nextel 12 20 1 5 1
    39
    > Alamosa PCS 5 13 7 11 4
    40
    > Western Wireless 10 12 11 6 2
    41
    > Alltel 7 8 14 11 5
    45
    > US Unwired 9 2 10 18 7
    46
    > Cingular 4 1 12 13 16
    46
    > Bell Mobility 6 15 18 1 9
    49
    > Nextel Partners 16 16 2 3 13
    50
    > Sprint PCS 14 10 3 15 12
    54
    > AirGate PCS 17 11 5 16 6
    55
    > T-Mobile (USA) 3 9 8 17 19
    56
    > US Cellular 2 17 16 7 18
    60
    > Triton PCS 13 18 9 10 11
    61
    > Rogers 15 6 19 9 14
    63
    > AT&T Wireless 20 7 4 20 15
    66
    > Ubiquitel 11 14 6 18 17
    66
    > Dobson 19 19 17 8 10
    73
    > Microcell 18 4 20 14 20
    76
    ---

    > (*) COA: Cost of acquisition per subscriber.
    > (*) ARPU: Average revenue per unit/subscriber per month.
    > (*) piFCF per subscriber: Pre-interest expense free-cash-flow per
    > subscriber per month.
    >

    > For further information: Media contact: Mark Langton, (416) 684-3454,
    > mark.langton@telus.com; Investor relations contact: Robert Mitchell,
    > (416) 279-3219, robert.mitchell2@telus.com
    >
    > http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archive/May2004/27/c8247.html

  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    Oh, you must have missed the small print... The customer is ranked at 99th!;-)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    repatch wrote:

    > Hehehehe, first place on the money front, and WHERE on the customer service
    > front... :(

    > > Microcell 18 4 20 14 20

    Note that Microcell has the highest ARPU (average revenue per subscriber) of
    the whole bunch.

    I am susprised that their churn is still so high though. They used to be the
    lowest in canada when they started.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > repatch wrote:
    >
    >>Hehehehe, first place on the money front, and WHERE on the customer service
    >>front... :(
    >

    >>> Microcell 18 4 20 14 20
    >

    > Note that Microcell has the highest ARPU (average revenue per subscriber) of
    > the whole bunch.

    Unfortunately, the chart shows that Microcell has the lowest ARPU.
    These scores are rankings (the higher number is not good if you are the
    provider, it is good if you are the customer!)

    > I am susprised that their churn is still so high though. They used to be the
    > lowest in canada when they started.

    This is very worrying. I am guessing that it is a reflection of the
    number of pre-paid customers.

    Brendan
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    And what does this have to do with Fido?

    On 28 May 2004 07:47:56 -0700, twtwwtin <twtwwtin@newsguy.com> wrote:

> [...]
    > Western Wireless 10 12 11 6 2 41
    > Alltel 7 8 14 11 5 45
    > US Unwired 9 2 10 18 7 46
    > Cingular 4 1 12 13 16 46
    > Bell Mobility 6 15 18 1 9 49
    > Nextel Partners 16 16 2 3 13 50
    > Sprint PCS 14 10 3 15 12 54
    > AirGate PCS 17 11 5 16 6 55
    > T-Mobile (USA) 3 9 8 17 19 56
    > US Cellular 2 17 16 7 18 60
    > Triton PCS 13 18 9 10 11 61
    > Rogers 15 6 19 9 14 63
    > AT&T Wireless 20 7 4 20 15 66
    > Ubiquitel 11 14 6 18 17 66
    > Dobson 19 19 17 8 10 73
    > Microcell 18 4 20 14 20 76
    >
    > (*) COA: Cost of acquisition per subscriber.
    > (*) ARPU: Average revenue per unit/subscriber per month.
    > (*) piFCF per subscriber: Pre-interest expense free-cash-flow per
    > subscriber per month.
    >

    >For further information: Media contact: Mark Langton, (416) 684-3454,

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    Well firstly, in this comparison Telus scored at the top and Fido at the
    bottom. And secondly, Telus is proposing to buy Fido. So it is relevant.

    Brendan

    Joseph wrote:
> [...]
    >> Western Wireless 10 12 11 6 2 41
    >> Alltel 7 8 14 11 5 45
    >> US Unwired 9 2 10 18 7 46
    >> Cingular 4 1 12 13 16 46
    >> Bell Mobility 6 15 18 1 9 49
    >> Nextel Partners 16 16 2 3 13 50
    >> Sprint PCS 14 10 3 15 12 54
    >> AirGate PCS 17 11 5 16 6 55
    >> T-Mobile (USA) 3 9 8 17 19 56
    >> US Cellular 2 17 16 7 18 60
    >> Triton PCS 13 18 9 10 11 61
    >> Rogers 15 6 19 9 14 63
    >> AT&T Wireless 20 7 4 20 15 66
    >> Ubiquitel 11 14 6 18 17 66
    >> Dobson 19 19 17 8 10 73
    >> Microcell 18 4 20 14 20 76
    >>
    >> (*) COA: Cost of acquisition per subscriber.
    >> (*) ARPU: Average revenue per unit/subscriber per month.
    >> (*) piFCF per subscriber: Pre-interest expense free-cash-flow per
    >> subscriber per month.
    >>

    >>For further information: Media contact: Mark Langton, (416) 684-3454,

  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    With all due respect Brendan, if you know anything much about Fido users in
    general, the majority of us would rather give up cellular phones altogether
    rather than go with Telus. GSM is the better technology and offers both
    novice and professional users the most flexibility in terms of handsets and
    in Fido in great calling plans. Finally, if one looks carefully at that
    chart near the bottom, Microcell scored the highest Subscriber Growth and
    highest Average Revenue Per Unit/Subscriber. Additionally, though their
    Churn rate is high (a consequence of having such a large Pay As You
    Go/Pre-paid clientele), it is by no means higher than, say AT&T Wireless,
    T-Mobile or Sprint in the USA for example. Remember, when the majority of
    your subscribers (as in the case with Telus) are clients on monthly plans
    who are locked into 2 and 3 year contracts with the company, their churn
    rate is logically much lower.
    I don't think the sale of Fido to Telus will go through, but, if - Heaven
    Forbid- it does and Telus tries to move us over to CDMA, a large number of
    Fido clients will likely move over to Rogers Wireless, reluctantly albeit. A
    mass UNLOCKING programme could be set up by Rogers in all their larger
    outlets thereby negating the need to bear the costs of New Handset in most
    instances and seamlessly integrating their large new bunch of disgruntled
    clients.
    Fido is the best thing happening to the cellular industry in Canada and I
    pray to God that no such sale takes place.
    Dave

> [...]

    its
    > PCS and Mike digital wireless networks. For more about TELUS Mobility,
    please
    > visit telusmobility.com.
    > TELUS is Canada's second largest telecommunications company with more
    > than Cdn$7 billion of annual revenue, more than 4.8 million network access
    > lines and more than 3.5 million wireless subscribers. The company provides
    > subscribers across Canada with a full range of telecommunications products
    and
    > services utilizing next-generation Internet-based technologies, including
    data
    > and voice services through TELUS Communications Inc. and wireless services
    > through TELUS Mobility.
    >
    > <<
    > 1Q04 North American wireless services update

    31
    > Verizon Wireless 1 5 13 4 8
    31
    > Nextel 12 20 1 5 1
    39
    > Alamosa PCS 5 13 7 11 4
    40
    > Western Wireless 10 12 11 6 2
    41
    > Alltel 7 8 14 11 5
    45
    > US Unwired 9 2 10 18 7
    46
    > Cingular 4 1 12 13 16
    46
    > Bell Mobility 6 15 18 1 9
    49
    > Nextel Partners 16 16 2 3 13
    50
    > Sprint PCS 14 10 3 15 12
    54
    > AirGate PCS 17 11 5 16 6
    55
    > T-Mobile (USA) 3 9 8 17 19
    56
    > US Cellular 2 17 16 7 18
    60
    > Triton PCS 13 18 9 10 11
    61
    > Rogers 15 6 19 9 14
    63
    > AT&T Wireless 20 7 4 20 15
    66
    > Ubiquitel 11 14 6 18 17
    66
    > Dobson 19 19 17 8 10
    73
    > Microcell 18 4 20 14 20
    76
    ---

    > (*) COA: Cost of acquisition per subscriber.
    > (*) ARPU: Average revenue per unit/subscriber per month.
    > (*) piFCF per subscriber: Pre-interest expense free-cash-flow per
    > subscriber per month.
    >

    > For further information: Media contact: Mark Langton, (416) 684-3454,
    > mark.langton@telus.com; Investor relations contact: Robert Mitchell,
    > (416) 279-3219, robert.mitchell2@telus.com
    >
    > http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archive/May2004/27/c8247.html

  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    That's bullshit.

    90% of the Fido users (or all cell phone users, in fact) could care less
    about the technology. Give them a nice phone and good price plan and they
    stay. And they get to keep their phone number... The majority of users still
    use their phones simply to make / receive calls, use a little VM, and that's
    about it. And that's all they will care about.

    The bottom line is that most people are inherently lazy, and will just take
    what is given to them, if it is a good deal.

    To say that "... the majority of us would rather give up cellular phones
    altogether..." just shows that you really have no clue about cell users.

    Now, if you said the majority of people who use newgroups / HoFo, and the
    like, that would be a different story. That I could understand.

    Do yourself a favour - get a clue before posting again, you are just making
    an ass of yourself.

    "davidjd" <davidjd@rogers.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > 56
    > > US Cellular 2 17 16 7 18
    > 60
    > > Triton PCS 13 18 9 10 11
    > 61
    > > Rogers 15 6 19 9 14
    > 63
    > > AT&T Wireless 20 7 4 20 15
    > 66
    > > Ubiquitel 11 14 6 18 17
    > 66
    > > Dobson 19 19 17 8 10
    > 73
    > > Microcell 18 4 20 14 20
    > 76

    > ---
    > >
    > > (*) COA: Cost of acquisition per subscriber.
    > > (*) ARPU: Average revenue per unit/subscriber per month.
    > > (*) piFCF per subscriber: Pre-interest expense free-cash-flow per
    > > subscriber per month.
    > >

    > > For further information: Media contact: Mark Langton, (416) 684-3454,

  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    davidjd wrote:
    > chart near the bottom, Microcell scored the highest Subscriber Growth and
    > highest Average Revenue Per Unit/Subscriber.

    In that chart, the numbers reflect a ranking.

    Microcell 18 4 20 14 20

    18th out of 20 for suscriber growth
    4th for cost of acquisitiuon (that is good)
    20th for ARPU
    14th for Churn
    20th for that fancy measure.

    > Go/Pre-paid clientele), it is by no means higher than, say AT&T Wireless,

    AT&T Wireless is not a good comparison. They were in a tailspin and Cingular
    will now attempt to fix that.

    > who are locked into 2 and 3 year contracts with the company, their churn
    > rate is logically much lower.

    Yes and no. Fido gets "temporary" customers that the others don't. If someone
    needs a phone for just a couple of months, he won't go with Bell/Telus/Rogers.
    But he will contribute to higher churn for Fido.

    What Fido should do is provide some chart showing what percentage of its
    customers are very loyal, and what percentage are transitory. It could be
    that a very small percentage of customers general 99%? of the churn while the
    rest are very loyal/stable.

    Of course, now that Fido is also under contract, it remains to be seen how
    their churn will change.

    > I don't think the sale of Fido to Telus will go through, but, if - Heaven
    > Forbid- it does and Telus tries to move us over to CDMA, a large number of
    > Fido clients will likely move over to Rogers Wireless,

    If fairness, most mobile customers don't know the difference between CDMA and
    GSM. Note that CDMA also has SMS now. And in the states, some CDMA networks
    are starting to offer 3G data services, but no GSM has it yet.

    > reluctantly albeit. A
    > mass UNLOCKING programme could be set up by Rogers in all their larger
    > outlets thereby negating the need to bear the costs of New Handset

    The locks are owned by Microcell. Either Industry Canada would have to force
    Microcell to relinquish all locks in exchange for its elimination by Telus, or
    Rogers would have to buy those locks. It may still turn out cheaper than
    providing totally new handsets.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 12:19:30 GMT, Brendan McCullough
    <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:

    >Well firstly, in this comparison Telus scored at the top and Fido at the
    >bottom. And secondly, Telus is proposing to buy Fido. So it is relevant.

    That is *really* a stretch.

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 15:14:14 GMT, "davidjd" <davidjd@rogers.com>
    wrote:

    >With all due respect Brendan, if you know anything much about Fido users in
    >general, the majority of us would rather give up cellular phones altogether
    >rather than go with Telus. GSM is the better technology and offers both
    >novice and professional users the most flexibility in terms of handsets and
    >in Fido in great calling plans. Finally, if one looks carefully at that
    >chart near the bottom, Microcell scored the highest Subscriber Growth and
    >highest Average Revenue Per Unit/Subscriber. Additionally, though their
    >Churn rate is high (a consequence of having such a large Pay As You
    >Go/Pre-paid clientele), it is by no means higher than, say AT&T Wireless,
    >T-Mobile or Sprint in the USA for example. Remember, when the majority of
    >your subscribers (as in the case with Telus) are clients on monthly plans
    >who are locked into 2 and 3 year contracts with the company, their churn
    >rate is logically much lower.
    >I don't think the sale of Fido to Telus will go through, but, if - Heaven
    >Forbid- it does and Telus tries to move us over to CDMA, a large number of
    >Fido clients will likely move over to Rogers Wireless, reluctantly albeit. A
    >mass UNLOCKING programme could be set up by Rogers in all their larger

    See Steve Punter's take on the proposed buyout of Fido by Telus:

    http://www.arcx.com/sites/faq.htm#TelusBuyFido

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 15:25:59 GMT, "The MoFo"
    <the_mofo@nonnayoudamnbuzinessbiotch.com> wrote:

    >Do yourself a favour - get a clue before posting again, you are just making
    >an ass of yourself.

    Seems to me that *lots* of people seem to have that talent on this
    newsgroup (if you'll look in the mirror.)

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    > Do yourself a favour - get a clue before posting again, you are just
    making
    > an ass of yourself.

    You just made a bigger one of yourself by being an arrogant SOB
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    "Super Dave" <souperdave@canada.com> wrote in message
    > > Do yourself a favour - get a clue before posting again, you are just
    > making
    > > an ass of yourself.
    >
    > You just made a bigger one of yourself by being an arrogant SOB

    If the guy took his "Fido Beer Goggles" off for a second and put something
    down that made sense, we would not have an issue. At least I know what the
    hell I am talking about. If you can't pull your head out of your ass and /or
    make stupid comments, expect to get flamed - you deserve it.

    These dumbass Fido vs Telus debates are useless. Especially when the Fido or
    Telus (or even worse, CDMA or GSM) zealots get involved.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 06:02:21 GMT, "The MoFo"
    <the_mofo@nonnayoudamnbuzinessbiotch.com> wrote:

    >These dumbass Fido vs Telus debates are useless. Especially when the Fido or
    >Telus (or even worse, CDMA or GSM) zealots get involved.

    Yeah, what she said!

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    Whoa, what part of this is a stretch?

    I referred only to this survey. I am not vouching for its veracity, but
    the unmistakable conclusion is that Telus as a business, is doing better
    than Fido in these measures. And it is a fact that Telus is proposing
    to acquire Microcell (Fido).

    Brendan

    Joseph wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 12:19:30 GMT, Brendan McCullough
    > <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:
    >

    >>Well firstly, in this comparison Telus scored at the top and Fido at the
    >>bottom. And secondly, Telus is proposing to buy Fido. So it is relevant.
    >

    > That is *really* a stretch.

    > remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

    > Fido is the best thing happening to the cellular industry in Canada and I
    > pray to God that no such sale takes place.
    > Dave

    The snowball is rolling downhill, Microcell will be sold, just might not be
    to Telus that's all :)

Fido Wireless Telus Mobility Internet Service Providers