Help & Support does not start in Windows XP

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

When I select Help & Support from the Start menu I get a dialog that says:

"Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not
running. To fix this problem, start the service named "Help and Support"

When I run MSCONFIG and look for help and support it's not there.

Also, a bunch of Microsoft services are turned off in MSCONFIG. Would be
good to know what should be on.

Thanks,
Dave

> When I select Help & Support from the Start menu I get a dialog that
> says:
>
> "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not
> running. To fix this problem, start the service named "Help and
> Support"
>
> When I run MSCONFIG and look for help and support it's not there.
>
> Also, a bunch of Microsoft services are turned off in MSCONFIG. Would
> be
> good to know what should be on.

Hi,

Go to the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services

Locate "Help and Support" and double-click. Set the service to Automatic
and start the service.

--
William

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Great. That worked. Thanks.

Do you know how I find a list of what services should be on? I have a lot
that are at manual or disabled.

Thanks,
Dave

> Great. That worked. Thanks.
>
> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I select Help & Support from the Start menu I get a dialog
>> > that
>> > says:
>> >
>> > "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is
>> > not
>> > running. To fix this problem, start the service named "Help and
>> > Support"
>> >
>> > When I run MSCONFIG and look for help and support it's not there.
>> >
>> > Also, a bunch of Microsoft services are turned off in MSCONFIG.
>> > Would
>> > be
>> > good to know what should be on.
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> Go to the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
>>
>> Locate "Help and Support" and double-click. Set the service to
>> Automatic
>> and start the service.
>>

> Do you know how I find a list of what services should be on? I have a
> lot
> that are at manual or disabled.

You're welcome. Go with the link that Ramesh provided you about default
services in XP.

--
William

Microsoft Windows XP - Default settings for services:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sys_srv_default_settings.mspx

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Great. That worked. Thanks.
>
> Do you know how I find a list of what services should be on? I have a lot
> that are at manual or disabled.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I select Help & Support from the Start menu I get a dialog that
>> > says:
>> >
>> > "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not
>> > running. To fix this problem, start the service named "Help and
>> > Support"
>> >
>> > When I run MSCONFIG and look for help and support it's not there.
>> >
>> > Also, a bunch of Microsoft services are turned off in MSCONFIG. Would
>> > be
>> > good to know what should be on.
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> Go to the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
>>
>> Locate "Help and Support" and double-click. Set the service to Automatic
>> and start the service.
>>
>> --
>> William

Ο χÏ?ήστης "WTC" έγγÏ?αψε:

> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Great. That worked. Thanks.
> >
> > "WTC" wrote:
> >
> >> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Go to the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
> >>
> >> Locate "Help and Support" and double-click. Set the service to
> >> Automatic
> >> and start the service.
> >>

> > Do you know how I find a list of what services should be on? I have a
> > lot
> > that are at manual or disabled.
> >

> You're welcome. Go with the link that Ramesh provided you about default
> services in XP.
>
> --
> William

Ο χÏ?ήστης "WTC" έγγÏ?αψε:

> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Great. That worked. Thanks.
> >
> > "WTC" wrote:
> >
> >> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Go to the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
> >>
> >> Locate "Help and Support" and double-click. Set the service to
> >> Automatic
> >> and start the service.
> >>

> > Do you know how I find a list of what services should be on? I have a
> > lot
> > that are at manual or disabled.
> >

> You're welcome. Go with the link that Ramesh provided you about default
> services in XP.
>
> --
> William

> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I select Help & Support from the Start menu I get a dialog that
> > says:
> >
> > "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not
> > running. To fix this problem, start the service named "Help and
> > Support"
> >
> > When I run MSCONFIG and look for help and support it's not there.
> >
> > Also, a bunch of Microsoft services are turned off in MSCONFIG. Would
> > be
> > good to know what should be on.
> >

> Hi,
>
> Go to the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
>
> Locate "Help and Support" and double-click. Set the service to Automatic
> and start the service.
>
> --
> William

I've got the exact problem as Dave but "Help and Support" service is missing
from Services. It used to work in the past but now is missing. Any ideas of
how to re-install "Help and Support" Service?..

"Vangelis" <Vangelis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I select Help & Support from the Start menu I get a dialog that
>> > says:
>> >
>> > "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not
>> > running. To fix this problem, start the service named "Help and
>> > Support"
>> >
>> > When I run MSCONFIG and look for help and support it's not there.
>> >
>> > Also, a bunch of Microsoft services are turned off in MSCONFIG. Would
>> > be
>> > good to know what should be on.
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> Go to the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
>>
>> Locate "Help and Support" and double-click. Set the service to Automatic
>> and start the service.
>>
>> --
>> William
>>

> I've got the exact problem as Dave but "Help and Support" service is
> missing
> from Services. It used to work in the past but now is missing. Any ideas
> of
> how to re-install "Help and Support" Service?..

See if this helps you,

"Help and Support Error" - Service not started
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm

------
------
Download helpsvc.zip file and unzip the contents. Extract helpsvc.reg to the
Desktop and double-click to merge the contents to the registry.
------
Unquote
------

[Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MVP]