No Desktop options in properties menu??

I had a virus on my laptop and when I cleaned it I had a black desktop. Icons
appear ok and are working fine as iare all my programs. The problem is I
cannot get rid of that black screen. When I right click on the desktop I do
not get a "desktop" tab on the properties box. It only gives me the option to
set up a screen saver and adjust my resolution.
Any ideas?

Go to this web site:

Download and run the registry edit on line 285, right hand side,
"Restore all display tabs".

--
Nepatsfan

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Go to this web site:

> Download and run the registry edit on line 285, right hand side,
> "Restore all display tabs".
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "MMSIBOB" <MMSIBOB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had a virus on my laptop and when I cleaned it I had a black
> >desktop. Icons
> > appear ok and are working fine as iare all my programs. The
> > problem is I
> > cannot get rid of that black screen. When I right click on the
> > desktop I do
> > not get a "desktop" tab on the properties box. It only gives me
> > the option to
> > set up a screen saver and adjust my resolution.
> > Any ideas?

Will this be a permanent fix? Any idea how it might have happened?

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Go to this web site:

> Download and run the registry edit on line 285, right hand side,
> "Restore all display tabs".
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "MMSIBOB" <MMSIBOB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had a virus on my laptop and when I cleaned it I had a black
> >desktop. Icons
> > appear ok and are working fine as iare all my programs. The
> > problem is I
> > cannot get rid of that black screen. When I right click on the
> > desktop I do
> > not get a "desktop" tab on the properties box. It only gives me
> > the option to
> > set up a screen saver and adjust my resolution.
> > Any ideas?

It's a fix that can be rolled back by either backing up all the
registry keys that are mentioned in that .reg file or using
System Restore.

If you're concerned, create a restore point before running the
registry edit. To create a restore point do the following:
Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools ->
System Restore.
Click on "Create a restore point".
Click Next.
Enter a descriptive name, something like "Before registry edit".
Click create.

Keep in mind that the file from Kelly's web site will restore all
of the missing tabs in Display properties. If you're only
concerned about the Desktop tab you can do the following:
Go to Start -> Run and enter regedit in the Open box.
Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
In the right hand pane, right click on ClassicShell.
Select Modify from the menu.
Change the Value data to 0.
Click OK.
Close the registry editor.

I should have mentioned that once you get the Desktop tab
restored you should check on the following:
Open Display Properties.
Click on the Desktop tab.
Click on "Customize Desktop".
In Desktop Items, click on the web tab.
Delete any entries other than "My Current Home Page".

As for "how it might have happened?", your machine somehow got
infected with a desktop hijacker. It made changes to your
registry to make removal difficult. Your antivirus program
removed the pest but the changes made to the registry weren't
reversed. If you're curious, do a Google search for "desktop
hijacker". You'll find that you're not alone in dealing with this
problem.

Post back if you have any other questions on this topic.

--

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Go to this web site:

> Download and run the registry edit on line 285, right hand side,
> "Restore all display tabs".
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "MMSIBOB" <MMSIBOB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had a virus on my laptop and when I cleaned it I had a black
> >desktop. Icons
> > appear ok and are working fine as iare all my programs. The
> > problem is I
> > cannot get rid of that black screen. When I right click on the
> > desktop I do
> > not get a "desktop" tab on the properties box. It only gives me
> > the option to
> > set up a screen saver and adjust my resolution.
> > Any ideas?

My desktop was also "hijacked" by a virus which resulted in the same
symptoms as MMSIBOB. I've cleaned the virus and restored my "Display
properties" tabs, but I still have the black desktop. When going into the
"Desktop" tab of Display Properties, nothing works. The "Background" scroll
bar is frozen and I'm unable to select anything in the window. The
"Customize" button works, but that's about all. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

"ka0ioj" <ka0ioj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> Go to this web site:

>> Download and run the registry edit on line 285, right hand
>> side,
>> "Restore all display tabs".
>>
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "MMSIBOB" <MMSIBOB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I had a virus on my laptop and when I cleaned it I had a
>> >black
>> >desktop. Icons
>> > appear ok and are working fine as iare all my programs. The
>> > problem is I
>> > cannot get rid of that black screen. When I right click on
>> > the
>> > desktop I do
>> > not get a "desktop" tab on the properties box. It only gives
>> > me
>> > the option to
>> > set up a screen saver and adjust my resolution.
>> > Any ideas?
>>

> My desktop was also "hijacked" by a virus which resulted in the
> same
> symptoms as MMSIBOB. I've cleaned the virus and restored my
> "Display
> properties" tabs, but I still have the black desktop. When
> going into the
> "Desktop" tab of Display Properties, nothing works. The
> "Background" scroll
> bar is frozen and I'm unable to select anything in the window.
> The
> "Customize" button works, but that's about all. Any help
> appreciated.
> Thanks

Did you try running the registry fix from Kelly's web site? Line
285, on the right "Restore all display tabs".

If that doesn't help, you might want to try the following:

If the "Customize Desktop" button works then click on it and
select the Web tab.
In the "Web pages" box, delete all entries other than "My Current
Home Page".
If present, remove the check mark next to "Lock desktop items".

If it's still not fixed, try this:
Go to Start -> Run and enter regedit in the Open box.
Click OK.
In the registry editor, navigate to this location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

In the right hand pane, look for NoChangingWallpaper.
Right click on that entry and select Modify from the drop down
menu.
Change the Value data to 0.
Click OK.
Do the same thing for this key if it's present:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
ActiveDesktop

Next, navigate to this key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
If there's an entry in the right hand pane for Wallpaper, right
click on it and select delete.

Keep in mind all of these registry keys may not be present on
your system.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> "ka0ioj" <ka0ioj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
> >
> >> Go to this web site:
> >>
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> >>
> >> Download and run the registry edit on line 285, right hand
> >> side,
> >> "Restore all display tabs".
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nepatsfan
> >> "MMSIBOB" <MMSIBOB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>

> > My desktop was also "hijacked" by a virus which resulted in the
> > same
> > symptoms as MMSIBOB. I've cleaned the virus and restored my
> > "Display
> > properties" tabs, but I still have the black desktop. When
> > going into the
> > "Desktop" tab of Display Properties, nothing works. The
> > "Background" scroll
> > bar is frozen and I'm unable to select anything in the window.
> > The
> > "Customize" button works, but that's about all. Any help
> > appreciated.
> > Thanks
>
> Did you try running the registry fix from Kelly's web site? Line
> 285, on the right "Restore all display tabs".

> If that doesn't help, you might want to try the following:
>
> If the "Customize Desktop" button works then click on it and
> select the Web tab.
> In the "Web pages" box, delete all entries other than "My Current
> Home Page".
> If present, remove the check mark next to "Lock desktop items".
>
> If it's still not fixed, try this:
> Go to Start -> Run and enter regedit in the Open box.
> Click OK.
> In the registry editor, navigate to this location:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
>
> In the right hand pane, look for NoChangingWallpaper.
> Right click on that entry and select Modify from the drop down
> menu.
> Change the Value data to 0.
> Click OK.
> Do the same thing for this key if it's present:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
> ActiveDesktop
>
> Next, navigate to this key:
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> If there's an entry in the right hand pane for Wallpaper, right
> click on it and select delete.
>
> Keep in mind all of these registry keys may not be present on
> your system.
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

Many thanks.
Yes, I did previously try the fix from Kelly's Korner, and that's what
restored my missing tabs. The "Customize Desktop" was already set for the
single entry "My Current Home Page", and the "Lock desktop items" was not
checked. Your first registry key was already at 0, and the second one was
not present, but the third key was the fix. Thanks again.
ka0ioj

> Many thanks.
> Yes, I did previously try the fix from Kelly's Korner, and
> that's what
> restored my missing tabs. The "Customize Desktop" was already
> set for the
> single entry "My Current Home Page", and the "Lock desktop
> items" was not
> checked. Your first registry key was already at 0, and the
> second one was
> not present, but the third key was the fix. Thanks again.
> ka0ioj

You're welcome. Glad to hear you've got that fixed.

Nepatsfan