Looking for Laptop for CG work & Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjek

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Hey people,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop for my new course in 3D modelling and animation for the entertainment industry. I've been searching and compairing for weeks now and I'm really not sure what to get; there's so many brands and sub lines to choose from :p I was hoping this community could help me out. I've looked around here if I could find someone with roughly the same wishes, but I couldn't find any, hence this thread. Thanks in advance!

1. What is your budget?
About 1000 euros, give or take.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15' and up.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1600x1200 / 1680x1050 and up.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Both, if possible :)

5. How much battery life do you need?
Doesn't matter too much; the laptop will be plugged in most of the time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, somewhat new games in high settings. i.e. Borderlands (2), Diablo 3, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed series etc.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
The laptop will mainly be used for 3D modelling, animation and rendering for the games/entertainment industry. It also needs to run game dev kits easily, like UDK and Unity.

Some of the programs I'll be using:
- Maya 2012/2013
- Zbrush
- Houdini
- Photoshop CS5/6
- Unity

At times it will also need to run 2, maybe 3 programs simultaneously. i.e. Photoshop and Maya for texturing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
750GB-1TB and additionally a SSD drive.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Haven't really looked for that yet.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
A minimum of 4 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM reader and writer. Bluray is optional.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
YES:
Dell; I own a Dell Studio 15 for 4 years now, never had problems with it.
HP: Smooth look, heard good things about this brand and HP has a wide range of products.
Asus: Good recommendations

NO:
Acer; need I explain? :p
Packard Bell; ---^

NOT SURE:
Lenovo; expensive, saw some bad reviews, but also good reviews.. hmm..
Toshiba; ugly :p

13. What country do you live in?
The Netherlands

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
The GU needs to support OpenGL! Also, I'd like a minimum of 6GB RAM.

Also, I heard Radeon cards are not that great for 3D modelling/rendering, is this true or just a silly rumor?

I'd like to purchase my laptop on a website or at a retailer where I'm sure I can get technical support for it, even though I live in the Netherlands.

Thanks for your time and effort!

Mjek

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Thank you for the tip, I'll be looking into it :)
(though the laptop is not yet available in the Netherlands)

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hmm, considering that it's not out yet in your country, could mean that you may be able to pick up a very good deal on its' predecessor the Asus ROG G74
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/ASUS-G74SXA1-Notebook-Review/

dingo07

Distinguished
I seriously think you need to add more to your budget to get something decent that will do what you describe. The Dell M6600 and M4600 come to mind first but are above your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.