Trojan linked to IE and Windows Update

I am a Firefox user and since it is now my default browswer I've no need for
IE. Yet, windows update can only be used with IE. However, whenever I try
to use either of these they do not run and Mcafee alerts me immediately of a
Trojan. I'm not sure if my automatic windows updates actually go through or
not. The trojan thing annoys me as well. Note, that the Trojan warning
happens EVERY time either Windows Update or IE are attempted. Thanks to all
for helping those in need.

What Trojan does it warn you of?

Also you may want to check and see that your hosts file has not been
modified. A lot of worms and viri today modify the hosts file and redirect
requests for the windows update site to malicious sites to continue
infection and prevent the ability to patch. The hosts file is usually found
in %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\ where %systemroot% is either WINNT or
Windows depending on you version of windows.

-JF

"Jacob5.0" <Jacob50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am a Firefox user and since it is now my default browswer I've no need
for
> IE. Yet, windows update can only be used with IE. However, whenever I
try
> to use either of these they do not run and Mcafee alerts me immediately of
> Trojan. I'm not sure if my automatic windows updates actually go through
or
> not. The trojan thing annoys me as well. Note, that the Trojan warning
> happens EVERY time either Windows Update or IE are attempted. Thanks to
all
> for helping those in need.

So have McAfee remove the trojan and go about your merry business...

"Jacob5.0" <Jacob50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am a Firefox user and since it is now my default browswer I've no need
for
> IE. Yet, windows update can only be used with IE. However, whenever I
try
> to use either of these they do not run and Mcafee alerts me immediately of
> Trojan. I'm not sure if my automatic windows updates actually go through
or
> not. The trojan thing annoys me as well. Note, that the Trojan warning
> happens EVERY time either Windows Update or IE are attempted. Thanks to
all
> for helping those in need.

Hi Jacob,

Run a full virus scan with up to date virus software.
Virus and Spyware removal and prevention
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/body_spyware.html

To open Windows Update with IE, copy and paste the following command
into a new shortcut, click next and name it Windows Update.

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"
"http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/default.aspx"

The same can be done for MS Office Update:

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Jacob5.0 wrote:
> I am a Firefox user and since it is now my default
> browswer I've no need for IE. Yet, windows update can
> only be used with IE. However, whenever I try to use
> either of these they do not run and Mcafee alerts me
> immediately of a Trojan. I'm not sure if my automatic
> windows updates actually go through or not. The trojan
> thing annoys me as well. Note, that the Trojan warning
> happens EVERY time either Windows Update or IE are
> attempted. Thanks to all for helping those in need.

You goofed on the Windows Update link... You listed the office link
twice... Windows Update should be: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Jacob,
>
> Run a full virus scan with up to date virus software.
> Virus and Spyware removal and prevention
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/body_spyware.html
>
> To open Windows Update with IE, copy and paste the following command
> into a new shortcut, click next and name it Windows Update.
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"
> "http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/default.aspx"
>
> The same can be done for MS Office Update:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"
> "http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/default.aspx"
>

> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Jacob5.0 wrote:
> > I am a Firefox user and since it is now my default
> > browswer I've no need for IE. Yet, windows update can
> > only be used with IE. However, whenever I try to use
> > either of these they do not run and Mcafee alerts me
> > immediately of a Trojan. I'm not sure if my automatic
> > windows updates actually go through or not. The trojan
> > thing annoys me as well. Note, that the Trojan warning
> > happens EVERY time either Windows Update or IE are
> > attempted. Thanks to all for helping those in need.

Hi,

Thanks for catching that. Here's the correction.

To start Windows Update in IE, copy and paste either one of the
following commands into a new shortcut, click next and name it Windows
Update. I find the second command to load Windows Update faster.

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"
"http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com"

%SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe