  • Partition
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
May 2, 2005 12:41:03 PM

I have mutiple XP partitions loaded from1 bootload partition. I want to clear
and reformat this partition but how will I then be able to access the other
partitons now hung from it?
--
Victor

More about : removing base base partition

May 3, 2005 4:44:10 AM

gadya wrote:

> I have mutiple XP partitions loaded from1 bootload partition. I want to clear
> and reformat this partition but how will I then be able to access the other
> partitons now hung from it?

I am not sure what you are trying to say? Please be clear or no one can
help you. If you are trying to say that you want to format the partition
containing the OS's boot loaders then how do you expect your computer to
boot?

John
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 6:02:02 AM

I have a multiboot setup (using grub).
I have several operating systems which I can load independently of each
other e.g. NT4, ME, XP. So I will have no problem booting the PC if I
reformat the partition in question. But...

One of the XP partitions is a base partition where the NTloader loads 2
other other XP partitions. One of these is a primary partition on another
disk and one a logical drive on another disk. I want to reformat the base
partition as it's overfull, problematic etc. But I don't want to lose access
to the other partitions hung off it.
So I need to modify the primary dependent partition to become a base
partition suppporting the logical drive.
--
Victor

"John" wrote:

> gadya wrote:
>
> > I have mutiple XP partitions loaded from1 bootload partition. I want to clear
> > and reformat this partition but how will I then be able to access the other
> > partitons now hung from it?
>
> I am not sure what you are trying to say? Please be clear or no one can
> help you. If you are trying to say that you want to format the partition
> containing the OS's boot loaders then how do you expect your computer to
> boot?
>
> John

Related resources
May 4, 2005 12:12:06 AM

gadya wrote:
> I have a multiboot setup (using grub).
> I have several operating systems which I can load independently of each
> other e.g. NT4, ME, XP. So I will have no problem booting the PC if I
> reformat the partition in question. But...
>
> One of the XP partitions is a base partition where the NTloader loads 2
> other other XP partitions. One of these is a primary partition on another
> disk and one a logical drive on another disk. I want to reformat the base
> partition as it's overfull, problematic etc. But I don't want to lose access
> to the other partitions hung off it.
> So I need to modify the primary dependent partition to become a base
> partition suppporting the logical drive.

Is there anything of value on the so called 'base' partition (boot
partition is the term you should probably use here) other than the boot
loaders? In other words are the operating systems themselves on other
partitions? If it just contains boot files then you could back up the
boot files, format it and then copy the boot files back in. But "Hung
off of it"? I have no clue what you mean by that.

Sorry,
John
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 8:20:05 AM

I realise now just working through it with you that the solution is simple,
basically as you suggest.

Entries for systems accessed through the boot.ini file on the partition to
be reformatted, are added to the boot.ini file on my existing NT4 partition,
and I access those XP partitions via the NT4 loader files.
OR, but I don't know if this is permissible, I copy the NTLoader and a
boot.ini to partitions lacking these files which were previously loaded
through the partition now deleted. (This might work for a primary partition
but not of course for a logical partition.)
--
Victor

!