Alternative Vid Card

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Ive cracked, need a video card now, sick of waiting not to mention I blew all the money I had waiting around for the xt pro plat or whatever it is.

This is what I was thinking of to hold me over:

MSI ATI RX9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/S-Video, 8X AGP, Model "RX9800PRO-TD128" -RETAIL

Is this a decent embodiment of the 9800 pro and will this card clock sufficiently to 9800 xt speeds? Thanks for your time and help everyone, hope your summers are kicking a55.

(link for refrence: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-127&depa=1)

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800Fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+,WD 80 Gig 7200,GeForce 4 MX440,Nec Multi-Sync LCD 1830,EG465P-VE

I haven't seen any MSI R9800 reviews out there, they are a recent addition to the ATI fold. Like I said in the buyer's guide, they make good nV products, but not sure about their ATI quality. Likely to be good though.

I even checked my <A HREF="http://www.8dimensional.com/video-card-reviews/index.html" target="_new">'last resort' review source</A>, and nothing on the MSI ATIs, a ton on their nV product, but still not many reviews out there for their latest gear, so I'm not sure about the quality of the memory which will likely greatly impact your overclocking success/potential. Even then no gurarantee as to OC'ing stuff.

The HSF on the MSI looks more fashionable than functional (thick fins for heat dissipation [the metal is almost thicker than the air channels]), if it's all/mostly alluminum then maybe ok, but still not as great as copper. Since it also sits on/over the memory this is also a factor as it may restrict OC'ing like the Tyans do with some of their elaborate cooling systems.

The price is good, but not stellar. MSI's GameBundle is usually top notch, but these are all older games, even if it does include a copy of Morrowind! :cool:

Pricewatch has a BBA for cheaper, and there are other cheaper deals, but considering the bundle, it's an ok deal. But really, no way to tell if it will reach XT speeds without much out there to tell us about the makeup of their cards.

Anywhooo, that's my view from the cheap seats.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Im not worried about a bundle per say, I just want a decent card, this pci mx 440 is such a bottle neck its not even funny, what would you recommend grape for something thats tried and true?

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800Fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+,WD 80 Gig 7200,GeForce 4 MX440,Nec Multi-Sync LCD 1830,EG465P-VE

I'd say that the BBA card would be a good cheap option for overclocking, you know that you are guaranteed stndard issue parts, unlike the Powercrapper and Gag-n-puke lines. Since the MSI is a relatively unknown commodity it's hard to judge it, but it is a nice overall package, but without having info about it, it's a crap shoot.

Sapphire makes Great cards, Good cards, and Crap cards (R9800pro w/ 128 bit or the slower memory!), so you really need to give it the once over. Really go for a good warranty/return policy if you can. The BBAs have the advantage of some of the best warranties in the business, but be sure it's not an WhiteBox-OEM BBA that doesn't come with the 3 year warranty.

The HIS cards are OC'ing well from what I've seen, and the ASUS have great boards, but using their software the smartdoctor messed up OC'ing.

I would thinkthat the BBA card from Pricewatch would be a pretty good deal (they now have someone carrying the MSI for $1 cheaper than the BBA, so the BBA is no loger 'cheapeer' :lol: ). It is still a saving over your original plan, and you could take that money and buy better cooling which would give you even more overclockability.

So for 'tried and true', definitely BBA.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: