Connecting a new computer to the internet

I'm sorry if I and in the wrong group.
Here is the problem. My sister bought a new computer and is trying to get
it set up for the internet. Her isp is charter.net, she has a cable
connection. When she uses the wizard in Winxp to set things up, she gets
the message that she has limited or no connectivity. Her local area
connection has a red X in it.
How do we get the computer to recognize the connection?
Thanks in advance.
Anna

You should contact the Internet Service Provider for directions how to set
up their connection. Depending on the service, she may need to input an IP
number, DNS numbers or use other methods for the connection. The ISP should
be able to lead her through the setup.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Jerry and Anna" <acarter@cavenet.com> wrote in message
> I'm sorry if I and in the wrong group.
> Here is the problem. My sister bought a new computer and is trying to get
> it set up for the internet. Her isp is charter.net, she has a cable
> connection. When she uses the wizard in Winxp to set things up, she gets
> the message that she has limited or no connectivity. Her local area
> connection has a red X in it.
> How do we get the computer to recognize the connection?
> Thanks in advance.
> Anna

ukhelp

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
there is and easy way that u can have a look, on start, control panel, network connection,and right clik on network conection,and go unable, it could be this easy way i think, if not let me know.

thanks