USB 2.0 on dual processor mother board

Rich

I am using xp pro service pack 2 on a dual xeon system. I installed an
adaptec usb 2.0 card. Windows loaded the drivers and the card shows it is
working in device manager. The problem is it doesn't seem to be able to run
any 2.0 devices. I get an error that it cannot start device (error 10) when
I try to install a maxtor external drive. It does run my epson 1.1 printer
fine though. When i plug the maxtor into a usb 1.1 connector on the pc it
works fine...just deadly slow.

I saw on the adaptec website that the adaptec driver does not support dual
processors. I am using the windows xp drivers though. Anybody know if it
supports dual processors? If not is there a work around?

tks
--
rich rosenberg

Yes the XP driver supports dual processors. Any driver should support
multiple drivers. I'm surprised that Adaptec would try to put one out that
doesn't. Are you sure you loaded the XP EHCI (USB 2.0) driver? Does an
Enhanced Host Controller show up in your Device Manager under Universal Bus
Controllers?

Marc Reinig
System Solutions

"Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using xp pro service pack 2 on a dual xeon system. I installed an
> adaptec usb 2.0 card. Windows loaded the drivers and the card shows it is
> working in device manager. The problem is it doesn't seem to be able to
> run
> any 2.0 devices. I get an error that it cannot start device (error 10)
> when
> I try to install a maxtor external drive. It does run my epson 1.1
> printer
> fine though. When i plug the maxtor into a usb 1.1 connector on the pc it
> works fine...just deadly slow.
>
> I saw on the adaptec website that the adaptec driver does not support dual
> processors. I am using the windows xp drivers though. Anybody know if it
> supports dual processors? If not is there a work around?

Rich

Yes...I see the enhanced controller in the devices window. It is a very
strange problem. I tried to load up my epson scanner last night. I used to
have it set up on a 1.1 port. The operating system asked me to load the
driver for it again. I did that and it shows up as a working device in
devices window. My software could not find it now though. When I
reconnected to 1.1 port it worked fine.

Any clues?
--
rich rosenberg