Computer not on workgroup

I have a Windows XP Pro machine that is not seeing the workgroup, but
is still getting Internet access. I've tried a bunch of different
things to get it to join the workgroup, but with no success. I'm ready
to start fresh, because I really need to get this computer to see the
workgroup (causing family strife since it is only convenient to have
our printer attached to that computer.)

So, can someone help me fix this? What do you need me to provide on my
current computer?

Thanks!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The faster/easier way to get from one computer to another is to just go to start>run, type \computername, hit ok, and it will show all the shared files/printers avaliable on that computer.

If you would really like to go the long browsing way just make sure each computer is in the same workgroup here:
rightclick on my computer and go to properties
go to computer name
click change
enter your workgroup name/make sure it is correct
hit ok on everything (including restart)
All of the computers should now appear in the same workgroup in my network places.

joshyb

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
ok how are the networks connected ?

follow the above instructions and make sure there's no typos in the workgroups , it happens

secondly check your firewall settings , espscially if your running 3rd party FW , as they often have a home networking wizard which configures the firewall to allow the network to function correctly. missing this step out often causes computers to not appear in workgroups or be visible from one side of the network only

hope this helps

Josh