graphics system for photo

ride4fitness

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2004
I'm wondering how powerfull a graphics system is needed for a computer used for digital photo editing using adobe photoshop, or MS products for example. Any benifit in geting a high end gaming card for example? or will imbeded graphics serve just as well. I deffinately want excellent on screen images, true colors etc. Also, how much of a monitor is ideal for this purpose. Comuter is not used for gaming, or video editing.

I do want to work with large tiff and jpeg images, scanned slides and photos at very high resolution. I have a high quality scanner and photo printer. How much CPU and memory is ideal for this.

My current 333mhz P3 with 256 K in not cutting it, but I don't know how much power to get without overkill. ayone out there out there into this stuff with thoughts on the subject of how to outfit a machine for photo editing?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't need a lot of graphics power for photos, but for editing extremely large photos having extra graphics memory helps. I never recommend onboard graphics because they share memory with system RAM, besides that simply consider what else you might want to do with your system before making a purchase.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Well I guess you miss the weekend an you miss out on all the fun. :wink:

Your best solution for truest colours and fidelity is deifintely a Matrox Parhelia/P series card. The P650 is their entry level and has alot of expandability. It's optimised for photo/video applications, and includes specialized PhotoShop and other application features.

No product from ATI or nV will give you equal quality, and onboard is definitely not a good idea if you are working with large resolutions and high bit depth. Onboard graphics rob your system of resources, and also have terrible RAMDACs and terrible filtering (and usually don't come with things like DVI which can be useful).

As for the monitors, it's a personal preference, some people prefer Trinitrons (I like them), some prefer Mitsubishi based CRTs.

Sony, IBM, Samsung, NEC, Mitsubishi, and Phillips are all good quality makers, you would have to look at reviews to pick the best for each. A 19" to 21" with good grill (check edge width as well as average and center if you can). A minimum of 1600x1200 is good but a higher max allows you more options, but watch out for distortion at the edges.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

G

Isnt Mitsubishi using DiamondTron CRT wich is like the same as TriniTron? Never spotted any differences. No big deal just wondering...
Also Nec bought mitsubishi no mo mitsubishi screans...(not the whole mitsu but their screan division heh)

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-3-3-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
LG has some good monitor too.

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb)
Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/360)
1024mb pc3200 (5-3-3-2)
Asus A7N8X-X

They are still known as Mitsubishi tubes, although that will likely change too, but yes they wee aquired, and hence the NEC recommendation also as they shared tube technology even before the takeover (whose technology won't come for a while IMO). They are also good for LCDs as well.

Yes they are very similar to Trinitron, but the Grills are different, as is the 1 versus 3 guns. Some people prefer one to the other. They aren't completely different technologies like Shadow Mask which I don't think matches the same quality level.

In effect it's like Saying I Prefer the Audi Avus over the Porsche 959, same essential Mfr group, but it's still not a pitiful Acura NSX! :lol:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

IF you're looking at TFT/LCDs instead of CRT (tubes) then you should think about Samsung and NEC IMO. Those are my preferences. I have an old 18" IBM T86B which has served me well, but I'd really like to move to something newer and I've been looking at LCDs over the past 6mths, and the Samsungs are the ones that have my interest. There are better high end BenQs and Liyamas out there, but for that quality you usually pay more. The Samsungs are very attractive, especially since the Samsung 19 and 21" monitors have the Pivots (landscape/portrait) function like my IBM.

However I'd say if you're serious Get a <b>GOOD</b> CRT for really rich/true blacks and whites. For the price of a mediocre LCD you can get absolutely GREAT CRTs. They do require proper maintanance, whereas a DVI LCD is basically plug and play, but if you want the truest picture, and good CRT is your best best IMO.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
are u kidding me? LG?

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

I haven't looked at VS as much, they don't review as well and tend to not have the specs I'm looking for. I'm now mainly waiting for the Samsung 12-14ms models to come out in the 19" pivot format to replace the IBM, and maybe use that for my laptop for dual monitor support.