[HELP] 9800PRO - FAN - Not Working - DISABLES SYS.

i3lueHorneT

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=398494#398494" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=398494#398494</A>
(^-the above link follows my problem, though I figured out for myself what was wrong, there are pictures of what was occuring nearer the bottom (other pix are for old card.))

SUMMATION: Had 9700PRO, it was fuxored, RMA'd for new, got 9800Pro in just yesterday, its fuxored, looks like overheating once again, got to testing software drivers etc -nothing helped, just now tested the card fan, its not spinning..

PROBLEM: I can no longer get to my desktop, by the time my sys. loads, as the desktop begins to load up (Explorer) I get VPU Errors/sys. freezes/video resets/loop fuxored -I am not able to load my system fully. My MOBO: ASUS A7N8X has NO video out, must have VPU for monitor output, anyway I can use video through my card w/o actually running the Radeon card/not causing any heat to the chip (I need to be able to at least use 2D on my machine, how is this possible with this hardware ie: not borrowing a card from elsewhere -can I just massively underclock the card/change some BIOS settings/pre-load some grfx configs that change DESKTOP settings (as I can't get to my desktop to change them myself)/run SOFTWARE RENDER MODE that outputs through the card without causing any heat to the chip/running the chip?)

OVERALL: My 9800Pro's fan is not working.

{FROM BELOW: ^^^-Update: The fan rests inside the heatspreader (SEE: NewEGG Pix Link) and I was able to remove the 3 small screws that hold it inplace, hopefully I can get just the FAN from the reseller <AGAIN: Is there any way/place where one can pick up JUST THE FAN for this card for like a couple bucks?} <-Unless its a power issue, as I believe that I may be under powering the card, how can I TEST the fan?

***UPDATE 2

CARD PIX: <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-281&depa=1" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-281&depa=1</A>
</***UPDATE 2>

***UPDATE 1:

FOREMOST:
-Is there a second power connector needed for the card, to reach a higher voltage possibly, beyond what the highest voltage from a single PSU connector can provide?
</***UPDATE 1>

I need some info on the following:

-Power connectors for 9800Pro: If it can fit one from my PSU then its the right Voltage and is correct connector right?
-Info on the Fan of a SAPHIRE 9800Pro: I can't get the HeatSink/Fan unit off the card like I could with Saphire 9700Pro (-which had 2 little plastic push pins that let go of some hooks on the back of the card -9800Pro has something similar, but pushing these, which have a visible spring on the push pins where the other card where plastic cones with no visible springs, doesn't do anything/they're stuck and I don't want to keep putting more and more pressure on them.)
^^^-Update: The fan rests inside the heatspreader (SEE: NewEGG Pix Link) and I was able to remove the 3 small screws that hold it inplace, hopefully I can get just the FAN from the reseller <AGAIN: Is there any way/place where one can pick up JUST THE FAN for this card for like a couple bucks?
-Can the fan/heatsink unit itself be replaced/sold seperate of the card: Do you think I can get just the heat unit shipped to me seperate.

FAN:
-Anything I can do to 'jumpstart' the fan? I tried 'flicking' it but that doesn't work, tried replugging the tiny fan power connenctor out-of then back into the card too.

(MORE TO FOLLOW)

Thanks.
/

peace,

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by i3lueHorneT on 06/27/04 11:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

why have you started a new thread. The boards are already full of this drivel with the first thread you started.

My dick is so big, that my dick has a dick. And my dicks' dick is bigger than yours.

entium

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Pretty sure you can get a good fan for around 10 bucks. If ya got a voltometer see if power is going to the fan.

Whats Sapphire's warrenty was it 2 years?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
i think sapphires was 1, ati's is 3

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

i3lueHorneT

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
why have you started a new thread. The boards are already full of this drivel with the first thread you started.
1. "why have you started a new thread = Different subject."
2. "The boards are already full of this drivel with the first thread you started" = How? WTF are you talking about? Two threads of ~70,000 posts total, ohh the horror!
3. ...wait...Ohh, I get it! You're some lamer ass troll for THG? ahhh, hey, GO FCK YOURSELF!
/

peace,

how many other threads do you plan on starting exactly? Seriously, the Hard Drive forum would love to hear of your "problem"

My dick is so big, that my dick has a dick. And my dicks' dick is bigger than yours.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
First and foremost Ned STFU before i slap you with your dicks dick...

Now on to more important issues.

heya i3luehornet;

In all the corespondance i never once saw you mention if you were OCing your CPU, which would in turn OC your AGP/PCI bus frequency, The only way to prevent this is to set your AGP/PCI bus frequency to a static 66/33 in your BIOS, although not all chipsets even have this feature, failing to set your AGP/PCI bus to a static frequncy of 66/33, can cause your VPU to reset, artifacts to appear, even massive image distortion, even possibly failure to even display any image at all, as many cards have little tollerance for frequencies outside the norm.

Now that you are aware of this possibility lets get to your cooling problem, quite simply, replace the fan, and/or heatsink, and then worry about the other issue.

Let me know whats going on, i will attempt to offer real help unlike Ned the dickhead...

<Archer> Cant this thing go any faster, I thought this was a Warp 5 engine?

<Trip> Yeah, on paper...

"First and foremost Ned STFU before i slap you with your dicks dick..."

Lol, real world threats used in the online world - classic sign of a nerd who has lost all sense of reality!

it really seems like you got a dud card. If its the newly RMA'd card (9800pro) can't you RMA it again?

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
***Lol, real world threats used in the online world - classic sign of a nerd who has lost all sense of reality!***

Normally i wouldnt even lower myself to respond to something like this but in this instance i cant help myself.. Ned go play on the interstate...dont i hear your mommy calling you? O wait it cant be her because i got my dick in her mouth...

-Milf Hunter-

-End of WTF ownage-

"Ned go play on the interstate...dont i hear your mommy calling you? O wait it cant be her because i got my dick in her mouth... "

Again, classic sign of a 13 year old nerd, trying to act big 'n' hard with all his online "friends".

Addition: "WTF Ownage" - Pure nerd language

entium

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Stop being an ass and shut up Ned. Acting like a dick and being like a dick isn't going to help you in anyway.

You may not be a geek, but you're a total jerk. And you aren't the smartest kid on the block either. So you shouldn't be making any comments if you don't want to help this guy.

This guy was asking for help not you're opinions about him.

I do want to help the guy:

"it really seems like you got a dud card. If its the newly RMA'd card (9800pro) can't you RMA it again?"

He sounds like he is having real bad luck atm, which is unfortunate.