HELP: Windows Update not working

Windows Update is not working properly on my desktop (A64 3500, 1GB
RAM). The icon is staying in the system tray frozen at "Downloading
Updates: 0%" (killing the process in task manager does no good; before
I can reboot, it comes back immediately). I've checked Automatic
Updates in control panel and everything's set as it should be.

If I try to get updates manually from the Windows Update site, I get
the following (after it taking a loong time to search for updates):
"[Error number: 0x8024402C]
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the
requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in
resolving the problem:"

I've followed all steps in their troubleshooting and still no joy.
I'm administrator on this computer, so it can't be a permissions issue.
2 answers Last reply
More about help windows update working

    Try installing xp cd,exit the info page,then go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:
    Sfc /Scannow When its thru,type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,then type:
    EXIT Restart computer,remove cd.

    Dreamstalker wrote:
    > Windows Update is not working properly on my desktop (A64 3500, 1GB
    > RAM). The icon is staying in the system tray frozen at "Downloading
    > Updates: 0%" (killing the process in task manager does no good; before
    > I can reboot, it comes back immediately). I've checked Automatic
    > Updates in control panel and everything's set as it should be.
    >
    > If I try to get updates manually from the Windows Update site, I get
    > the following (after it taking a loong time to search for updates):
    > "[Error number: 0x8024402C]
    > Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the
    > requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in
    > resolving the problem:"
    >
    > I've followed all steps in their troubleshooting and still no joy.
    > I'm administrator on this computer, so it can't be a permissions
    > issue.

    Error 0X8024402C is "Winhttp SendRequest/ReceiveResponse failed" ; essentially a name-server resolution failure.
    As a temporary measure, reboot the system before going to Windows Update again.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

Windows Update Windows XP