HELP: Windows Update not working

Windows Update is not working properly on my desktop (A64 3500, 1GB
RAM). The icon is staying in the system tray frozen at "Downloading
Updates: 0%" (killing the process in task manager does no good; before
I can reboot, it comes back immediately). I've checked Automatic
Updates in control panel and everything's set as it should be.

If I try to get updates manually from the Windows Update site, I get
the following (after it taking a loong time to search for updates):
"[Error number: 0x8024402C]
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the
requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in
resolving the problem:"

I've followed all steps in their troubleshooting and still no joy.
I'm administrator on this computer, so it can't be a permissions issue.

Try installing xp cd,exit the info page,then go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:
Sfc /Scannow When its thru,type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,then type:
EXIT Restart computer,remove cd.

Dreamstalker wrote:
> Windows Update is not working properly on my desktop (A64 3500, 1GB
> RAM). The icon is staying in the system tray frozen at "Downloading
> Updates: 0%" (killing the process in task manager does no good; before
> I can reboot, it comes back immediately). I've checked Automatic
> Updates in control panel and everything's set as it should be.
>
> If I try to get updates manually from the Windows Update site, I get
> the following (after it taking a loong time to search for updates):
> "[Error number: 0x8024402C]
> Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the
> requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in
> resolving the problem:"
>
> I've followed all steps in their troubleshooting and still no joy.
> I'm administrator on this computer, so it can't be a permissions
> issue.

Error 0X8024402C is "Winhttp SendRequest/ReceiveResponse failed" ; essentially a name-server resolution failure.
As a temporary measure, reboot the system before going to Windows Update again.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User