Win XP on Dell XPS-T500?

Anyone successfully upgraded a Dimension XPS-T500 from Win 98 to Win XP?
Any problems to watch out for? Anyone know whether its possible to create a
dual boot system, then, assuming the XP upgrade works OK, eliminate the Win
98 partition and use that disk space for Win XP. In creating and removing
partitions, do I need to move all of the data off the hard drive and
reformat the whole thing, or can I leave my old data alone and create a new
partition?

Thanks,

David

--
To reply directly, please remove
"nospam" from e-mail address

"David Rocah" <david.rocah@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Anyone successfully upgraded a Dimension XPS-T500 from Win 98 to Win XP?
> Any problems to watch out for? Anyone know whether its possible to create
> dual boot system, then, assuming the XP upgrade works OK, eliminate the
> Win
> 98 partition and use that disk space for Win XP. In creating and removing
> partitions, do I need to move all of the data off the hard drive and
> reformat the whole thing, or can I leave my old data alone and create a
> new
> partition?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
> --
> To reply directly, please remove
> "nospam" from e-mail address

I've got an XPS T 500 runnning WindowsXP and 512mb RAM.

The machine strains a bit at times, but overall runs okay (but slowly when
compared to a P4 machine with XP*

Yes, it's possible to created a dueal-boot so long as you ahvethe hard disk
space for the OS.

It's a good idea for you to backup your data regluarly no matter if you
sintall XP or not.

Good luck,

Stew

Personally, I think that Windows XP is a little to bloated to run responsively
on a 500MHz system, but others will take exception to it. But hardly anyone
will disagree with the idea that 256MB of memory is a realistic minumum to run
XP.

I've run into more botched upgrades to 2000 or XP. Better to install either one
on a clean hard disk. An upgrade carries forward all the registry garbage from
the old release and leads to a software environment potentially very unstable.

.... Ben Myers

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 03:56:41 GMT, "David Rocah"
<david.rocah@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote:

>Anyone successfully upgraded a Dimension XPS-T500 from Win 98 to Win XP?
>Any problems to watch out for? Anyone know whether its possible to create a
>dual boot system, then, assuming the XP upgrade works OK, eliminate the Win
>98 partition and use that disk space for Win XP. In creating and removing
>partitions, do I need to move all of the data off the hard drive and
>reformat the whole thing, or can I leave my old data alone and create a new
>partition?
>
>Thanks,
>
>David
>
>--
>To reply directly, please remove
>"nospam" from e-mail address

I'm running a dual boot system with Win 98 and XP on my XPS T and so
far it isn't running too bad. I've got 384 megs of RAM and a 1 gig
Pentium processor which helps a lot. If you are serious about running
Windows XP as your sole operating system then make sure you have
enough RAM. If were using XP full time I would consider upping mine
to at least 512 megs. You might also consider spending another $120
and upgrade your processor to the Powerleap 1.3 gHz Celeron processor.

When I installed XP I used Partition Magic to divide my hard drive in
half for both operating systems. I then installed XP and the second
half of my 13 gig hard drive there by giving each OS a 6.5 gig
partition.

As for deleting the old Window 98 partition when you make the final
switch I suspect you will need a partition utility like Partition
Magic to reclaim the vacated Win 98 space and move XP to the front.
Otherwise just try Win XP for a while. If you like it then partition
and format the drive for Windows XP using the NTFS file system and do
a clean install of the OS.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 03:56:41 GMT, "David Rocah"
<david.rocah@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote:

>Anyone successfully upgraded a Dimension XPS-T500 from Win 98 to Win XP?
>Any problems to watch out for? Anyone know whether its possible to create a
>dual boot system, then, assuming the XP upgrade works OK, eliminate the Win
>98 partition and use that disk space for Win XP. In creating and removing
>partitions, do I need to move all of the data off the hard drive and
>reformat the whole thing, or can I leave my old data alone and create a new
>partition?
>
>Thanks,
>
>David

i think xp is great on a txxx machine with 256mb or more and a 20gb hard
disk or larger. xp, plus antivirus, and a complete installation of office
2000 takes up about 7gb so you really need something more than 10gb which
came with many of these older machines. ram for this older machine is also
very pricey. and xp isn't free either... all of which might make for a good
argument to just buy a new low end system and still end up with a better
machine than what your upgraded machine can become. but assuming that you
only need to install the os i say go for it. a clean install is best. if
you boot from a dell oem windows xp cd then you will not be asked to
'activate' it (enter a serial number). i do suggest that before you install
xp that you update the system bios to the latest level. you can download a
file from support.dell.com that creates a bootable floppy to flash (update)
the bios. you will be pleased to find that you will not have to install any
drivers as the components that came with the txxx are already 'known' to
windows xp (sound/video/modem/network). but once you install xp you should
then directly and repeatedly visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com to make sure
the operating system is up to date and fully patched. good luck.

>i think xp is great on a txxx machine with 256mb or more and a 20gb hard
>disk or larger. xp, plus antivirus, and a complete installation of office
>2000 takes up about 7gb so you really need something more than 10gb which
>came with many of these older machines. ram for this older machine is also
>very pricey. and xp isn't free either... all of which might make for a
>good argument to just buy a new low end system and still end up with a
>better machine than what your upgraded machine can become. but assuming
>that you only need to install the os i say go for it. a clean install is
>best. if you boot from a dell oem windows xp cd then you will not be asked
>to 'activate' it (enter a serial number). i do suggest that before you
>install xp that you update the system bios to the latest level. you can
>download a file from support.dell.com that creates a bootable floppy to
>flash (update) the bios. you will be pleased to find that you will not
>have to install any drivers as the components that came with the txxx are
>already 'known' to windows xp (sound/video/modem/network). but once you
>install xp you should then directly and repeatedly visit
>windowsupdate.microsoft.com to make sure the operating system is up to date
>and fully patched. good luck.

What Chris said. I've got XP Pro installed on an XPS T 500 with 512mb RAM.
It's acceptable for mild to moderate demands, neither snail slow or fast,
but solid.

I wouldn't however, spend the money on a Powerleap upgrade (just a personal
opinion). I'd use that money towards a newer used P4 or even a brand-new
system with XP.

Stew

GetLow_2008

i use my t500 all the time with xp 256mb ram and a 64mb video card and i can surf the web use media player at the same time but ie7 lags alittle wene scrolling through web pages then i ended up geting 750mb ram, 128 ati vidio card a 40gb hdd with xp on it a 160gb hdd slave, dvd reader cd-rw burner 800mhz cpu (slot1 to socket 370) and this thing runs awesome i run halo etc. but when geting parts cheap people throw out old computers all the time scrap parts off of them are look all ever for cheap parts i did and i have no problem finding them, sometime things can get pricy.

Bobbysmile

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Done it successfully with a mildly upgraded 500mhz (actualy 490)
Running dual operating systems, runs fine just nothing fancy, also just watch out for freezes when running more CPU and gpu intensive stuff.

I'm still using this system now in 2011,
Honestly I really need a new pc but I'm broke (14 yrs old)