Files disappering on me

Hi, I have recently updated to windows XP home addition from windows Mill.
and When I put in a cd rom and go to my files I notice that all but one of my
files are missing. What's causing this problem?

Also because I am new to W. XP when you create a new folder, rename a file,
add a new file do you have to press refresh in order for it to show up? If
not I am def. in need of some serious help, and pray someone can help me. If
not I wasted money with W. Xp I thought I would have less problems with this
but turns out I was happier with Mill. Anyone... please help.

Anyone able to help, with this?