Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this laptop deal good value? Any better laptops for up to $1500?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 18, 2012 9:55:34 AM

The deal is an ASUS R501VM-S3150V for $1299 with the following specs:
Specifications

Features:

Warranty: 2 Years Global
OS: Win7 Home Premium 64Bit
CPU: Intel® Core i7 3610QM 2.3Ghz (Turbo 3.3G)/6M
Display: Extra Wide Angle View 15.6" LED HD (1366 x 768 )
Memory: 8GB DDR3-1600 + Bonus 4GB Memory (TOTAL 12GB)
Memory: 750GB 5400rpm
Optical: BR Combo
Chipset: Intel® HM76
Graphic: 2GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GT630M Support nVidia 3D Vision
Audio: Built-in speaker;Built-in microphone ;Bang & Olufsen ICEpower®;SonicFocus
Networking: 802.11 b/g/n, 10/100/1000
BT: N/A
Battery: 6 Cell / 5200mAh
Camera: 720P HD Low Lux Camera
Weight: 2.70 KG
Dimensions: 38.0(W) x 25.5(D) x 2.72 ~ 3.24 (H) cm
Card Reader: SD、MMC、MS
USB: 2x USB 3.0 2x USB 2.0
Ports: 1x Microphone-in jack;1x Headphone-out jack (S/PDIF);1x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert;1x VGA Port (D-Sub);1x HDMI

Link: http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/r501vm-s3150v-bonus...



If you guys would have any opinion on any better deals for this laptop or any better laptops for UP TO $1500, please post or link me! :)  P.S. Main use for IT programming and High Def games.
Sorry for the trouble, but i'm not that great in this area; thanks!
July 18, 2012 10:54:56 AM

I'd suggest u find a laptop with a gt555\640 or hd7670 or better if u want any kind of gaming performance
m
1
l
Related resources
July 18, 2012 11:47:02 AM

mibl said:
The deal is an ASUS R501VM-S3150V for $1299 with the following specs:
Specifications

Features:

Warranty: 2 Years Global
OS: Win7 Home Premium 64Bit
CPU: Intel® Core i7 3610QM 2.3Ghz (Turbo 3.3G)/6M
Display: Extra Wide Angle View 15.6" LED HD (1366 x 768 )
Memory: 8GB DDR3-1600 + Bonus 4GB Memory (TOTAL 12GB)
Memory: 750GB 5400rpm
Optical: BR Combo
Chipset: Intel® HM76
Graphic: 2GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GT630M Support nVidia 3D Vision
Audio: Built-in speaker;Built-in microphone ;Bang & Olufsen ICEpower®;SonicFocus
Networking: 802.11 b/g/n, 10/100/1000
BT: N/A
Battery: 6 Cell / 5200mAh
Camera: 720P HD Low Lux Camera
Weight: 2.70 KG
Dimensions: 38.0(W) x 25.5(D) x 2.72 ~ 3.24 (H) cm
Card Reader: SD、MMC、MS
USB: 2x USB 3.0 2x USB 2.0
Ports: 1x Microphone-in jack;1x Headphone-out jack (S/PDIF);1x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert;1x VGA Port (D-Sub);1x HDMI

Link: http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/r501vm-s3150v-bonus...



If you guys would have any opinion on any better deals for this laptop or any better laptops for UP TO $1500, please post or link me! :)  P.S. Main use for IT programming and High Def games.
Sorry for the trouble, but i'm not that great in this area; thanks!


If you plan on gaming, you'd want at least a GeForce GT 640 or better.
Also, what about size? Would you mind an 11.6" laptop? Or does if have to 15.6"?

With the info provided, I'd recommend getting an MSI GE60 (http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GE60-0NC.html).
An official retailer has it for $1199: http://www.tecs.com.au/shop/msi-ge60-0nc-028au-15-6-gam...
I found a site that has it for A$1,099.00 here: http://www.affordablelaptops.com.au/contents/en-us/d186...

Highlights are:
Core i7-3610QM Processor (6M Cache, 2.3GHz)
Windows 7 Home Premium
4GB DDR3 1333MHz (1x 4Gb DDR3 1x Slot Free)
LCD Size 15.6" HD (1366x768) LED backlight
nVidia GT650M 2GB
m
0
l
July 18, 2012 12:34:30 PM

Quote:
that's far from the best laptop for 1300$ and even for 1000$..
No US?


thanks for the input, just i'm really clueless about computers and laptops; if anybody could suggest a laptop from $1000 to $1500 that could play high end games on high performance or if there was even a simple answer to the best gaming laptop under $1500 that would be awesome :) 

and yeah, i'm from Australia
m
0
l
July 18, 2012 10:21:45 PM

http://www.malibal.com/boutique/pc/configurePrd.asp?idp... 7970m and 3610qm for right about $1500 dollars or about $1450 Australian dollars. Matte screen and carrying case included. If the link doesn't work, click on notebooks tab and select the P150EM. Choose the option on the left and customize to your liking, Choose the 7970m for best performance.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2012 2:00:32 AM

And then there will be a shipping cost around $150 and 10% GST on the total cost (laptop+shipping) making the laptop cost over $1800 if you buy overseas and ship it to Australia.

As of now, this gives you the best performance per dollar in Australia:

http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/519-horize-p151e...

Reseller of Lenovo sells the Y580 at a ridiculous price ATM in AUS.
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 10:55:30 AM

Quote:
that's far from the best laptop for 1300$ and even for 1000$..
No US?


Probably not for the US, but the OP is in Australlia... it would expensive to import from the states, especially with overseas shipping. Also not every seller in the states ships overseas.

Pyree said:
And then there will be a shipping cost around $150 and 10% GST on the total cost (laptop+shipping) making the laptop cost over $1800 if you buy overseas and ship it to Australia.

As of now, this gives you the best performance per dollar in Australia:

http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/519-horize-p151e...

Reseller of Lenovo sells the Y580 at a ridiculous price ATM in AUS.

I'd agree that that is one of the better deals. Ups the one I found in screen res, RAM, and GPU clock speed (both are GK107 chips). However, adding Windows 7 makes the $1438.

However, on the affordablelaptops.com.au I linked earlier, they have the MSI GE60 model for $1389 that is very similar.
Both IvyBridge Core i7 3610QM, GTX660 graphics, 1080p 15.6" screens.
Differences are the MSI GE60 includes Windows Home Premium, 8GB of RAM (instead of 16), 750GB HDD (instead of 500GB), BluRay + DVD combo drive (instead of DVD combo), 6cell battery (instead of 8cell).

Given the price point ($49 separating them), the difference is going to boil down to styling, and whether or not you're going to use BluRay.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2012 11:03:49 AM

That MSI laptop is a good deal since it provides 2 year warranty. I missed that one.
m
0
l
!