Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop help

May 3, 2005 6:53:13 AM

Well, I'd like to be able to setup either Remote Desktop or Remote
Assistance to help my mother with her computer issues. She only has 2
computers (both XP Pro SP2) connected in a peer-to-peer network via a
Microsoft Base Station (not sure of model yet, bought last year).
Norton Internet Security is used on both computers. I am trying to
access those computers from my home using my Laptop (XP Home SP2). I am
also using ZoneAlarm (free version) and a Linksys Wireless Router model:
WRT54G. So far I haven't had any success with either Remote Access or
Remote Desktop. I've done the basics: Putting a check mark in the
"Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" checkbox, Putting a
check in the boxes under the Windows Firewall settings for both Remote
Assistance and Remote Desktop. What else should I look into. The
message I get from Remote Assistance is ""remote assistance connection
could not be established because the remote host name could not be
resolved. please try agian." and from Remote Desktop is "The client
could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not
be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new
connections....etc."

Any help would be appreciated very much

Thanks!

Rob

--
sonicman99
sonicman99's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5967

Rob,

You said yourmother has 2 XP SP2 PC's in a peer to peer....does the
Microsoft Base Station accept the incoming TCP/IP request? I don't know much
about the MS Base Station, but in that case, ensure UPnP forwarding is
enabled on your mother's router and specify a an external port to hit on the
router, and 3389 as the internal port. When you connect remotely, you'll
have to specify the external port. You could either type
xx.xx.xxx.xxx:( external port # here), or run mstsc /v:xx.xx.xxx.xxx:( port#)
from the command line.

Norton Internet Security would have to be configured to allow connections on
that port. I was a little thrown off about your comment regarding make the
security changes on Windows Firewall....if you're running Norton, you
shouldn't have the Windows Firewall enabled for the connection, unless you
were referring to your computer, in which case the Windows Firewall should
not be a factor.

Also, try using remote desktop internally within in your mother's peer to
peer network. Start by simply testing using the internal address...possibly
something like 192.168.1.100 and 101. After that, try specifying the outside
address.

Hope this helps,
Jon

!